Used 1998 Toyota Corolla VE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

3 speed in highway stinks!
By martinafan

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new now has 295,000 miles, replaced engine 6/09 after 292k miles.replaced alternator, fixed tranny once, interior not to Toyota standards, but it does get me to where I need to go without any fuss, good mpg's but the 3 speed w/o overdrive is horrible. If I replace this car with another one like it, got to be either a 4 speed or manual. Toyota should have done away with 3 speed when they redesigned car in '98. But base version was made to take place of discontinued Tercel. So VE has no clock, trunk release, adj. wheel, etc. Nevertheless very reliable car, was able to replace engine for about $1200 including labor, got one from a junked car with only 93k miles.

trusty old friend
By pedro

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I have driven over 280,000 miles in mostly urban traffic with some expressway also. This car is not a good long distance hauler due to its 3 speed tranny. I should have spent extra and gotten the 4 speed. Thank god they don't make those anymore. It's an excellent around town car even with all the miles I still get about 28mpg which is what the EPA says I should get. Mechanically very reliable, although lately I replaced the mounts with aftermarket units and I ruined the car. It now shakes and vibrates to the point of being intolerable to all but the shortest trips.

Reliability, get in the morning and know it's gonna start peace of mind.

Since this car is no longer made, its pointless except if you're gonna buy a used one DO NOT GET THE 3 SPEED.

The energizer bunny
By martinafan

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome I have just under 270,000 miles, use it everyday like a taxi, going from client to client mixed city and expressway driving, only repair has been struts cv joints and rack and pinion unit. Original alternator, starter, ignition and exhaust. ac tranny never repaired, inside cheap materials make the car look abused,but as far as driving it it's still almost as good as new

seats are pretty comfy, reliability of course and easy to get parts for at a good price

well since they don't make these anymore, that's pointless, but they should have put in a better interior

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Donna

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I am amazed that I still have the original muffler and pipes on this car! I have it serviced regularly and never had any "surprise" problems with it. It's got over 90,000 miles, is fuel efficient and I love it because it's dependable, not because it's "fun to drive". Maybe I'll upgrade to the Camry next time but I'm sure happy with my Corolla!

Smooth drive, holds the road, heats up fast in winter and cools fast in summer.

I find it inconvenient that this model has no trunk release lever from the inside of the car.

Corolla=RELIABLE
By Dave

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in 1998. First year it was incredibly smooth and quiet. Very surprising performance for a small car. Ours has the 5 speed, so mileage is GREAT. Recently (2005) I drove 412 miles on 10.67 gallons of gas. That is 38 MPG! This was not all interstate miles either. It was mixed, city and highway miles. That was pretty impressive considering the car just passed 138,000 miles. The AC is great, and so is the heat. The channel preset buttons on the radio are all falling off, which stinks. The cup holder in the rear seat was placed in a bad spot. The cloth seats are adequate and are durable. The interior panels are resistant to temp extremes (no cracking so far). Great car.

Engine reliablility, and gas mileage. Sporty looks. At 138000 miles, it still has the original clutch, pumps, alternator, AC compressor. The only thing I've replaced is the starter, plugs, tires, brakes, filters, and oil.

Cup holder in the back seat location bad. When left out, it is at "foot level" leading to getting kicked by kids entering/exiting car. It broke the first year. The dome light switch has gone bad, twice. Currently the fixture isn't working. Clunky to use. Steering wheel is starting to crumble with age