1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
It Just Won't Die
By fifi_lemon on 12/02/11 15:59 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

This is a really good car. 12 years, it's still going pretty great. My mom's trying to get two more years out of it, which WILL happen, before she gets a new one. If you're looking for a reliable car for many years from now, this car is for you. No major breakdowns, except the "check engine" light has been going off. The mechanic says it's because a wire keeps getting bumped. For the love of pete.

AWESOME DEPENDABLE CAR!!!
By mal1028 on 11/02/11 12:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I personally have had my 1998 Corolla for over a year and I love it. Nothing has gone wrong on it other than a minor exhaust leak. I recommend this car for sure. It has always started during the freezing Canadian weather, and never let me down. Never broken down! it currently has 251 kms on it and is still going strong. 5 stars I would rate this car.

Nothing ever goes wrong with this car.
By Jazz on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Seriously, I bought it new 12 years ago, it has about 90,000 miles on it, it's gotten all its regular maintenance, and nothing serious has ever gone wrong with it. The only thing that doesn't work is that the 2nd radio button sticks. The engine's a bit underpowered, but you will not find a more reliable car. Also, the Toyota vehicles that had issues with accelerators were all 1990 or later, so 1980 is a good year for used models. It's comfy. I have a bad lower back, and the lumbar support is fantastic! It actually makes my back feel better, which is great for long drives. Unbelievably good gas mileage. I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anyone.

PaZaZZ
By Outagas on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car new, excellent vehicle with great reliability. Best car we have ever owned, we will keep it for our grand kids and their kids. Car is getting to be a classic with excellent body lines, still looks like knew. The black flaked paint is awesome and people stop and ask about the color. Just a super car!

Keeps going, and going, and ...
By lightningguy on 08/28/10 22:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Bought used @ 116k miles. Rear struts were gone, outer door gaskets crumbled. (but this is common for this model with age.) needed new cat. Converter @ 138k, my fault - didn't change the plug wires! Runs like a gazelle! (amazingly well!) 163k miles now, uses less than 1/8th qt oil in 5,000 miles - unbelievable! Smog chk only slightly higher than new car! With practice, can get 46 mpg highway, with the auto trans! Original starter, water pump, etc. I'm 6,4" tall, 240 lbs, it's a *bit* cramped, but for the $$, that it will likely run forever; gonna keep it 'til it falls apart! Change oil / trans fluid religiously, new plugs & wires, etc, should last 400k miles or more. $3.00 for gas, hah!

168,000 and still strong
By cladem on 05/18/10 02:44 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new. My wife had it, then my daughter and now it's my turn with 168,000 miles on it. Still rides like new but gas tank lever is broken, hood latch sticks, and it uses about 1 qt of oil every 1100 miles. It is about the most reliable car we have ever had other than our Toyota RAV4.

RELIABLE!
By Oregonbeauty on 02/27/10 19:57 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this as a previous leased vehicle with 39,900 miles. I now have 121,000 and mechanically have only replaced the battery & put pads on the brakes. The interior integrity has not been the best, but I can rely on it to run & get me where I want to go. Radio is on/off, replaced both front door handles(not cheap), but I totally would & will by another Toyota. My daughter is buying one in 2 days. She needs a reliable car. I get 28-32 MPG mixed. Replaced the battery & put pads on my brakes. Regular tune up at 110,000(first set of plugs) Love the car. Not the most comfortable, but it never lets me down.

Worst $2400 ever spent
By Jose on 12/28/09 03:23 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from auction. Test drove it on street, engine and trans ran smooth except heard thump and saw steering wheel wiggle, probably just a balled tire. Wrong! Or maybe not? Drove it on the highway next day and car shook violently. I thought it would fall apart. I got 3 different mechanics' opinions and still thumping. Did an alignment, replaced 2 tires, replaced all 4 brakes, and replaced transmission for goodness sake! Spent $1072 in less than 3 weeks of buying car! Not to mention turn signal light in dash went out and steering wheel is disintegrating quickly. Paint and or plastic around inner door moldings disentegrating and lock for trunk fell sideways (don't ask!).

3 speed in highway stinks!
By martinafan on 12/06/09 07:38 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new now has 295,000 miles, replaced engine 6/09 after 292k miles.replaced alternator, fixed tranny once, interior not to Toyota standards, but it does get me to where I need to go without any fuss, good mpg's but the 3 speed w/o overdrive is horrible. If I replace this car with another one like it, got to be either a 4 speed or manual. Toyota should have done away with 3 speed when they redesigned car in '98. But base version was made to take place of discontinued Tercel. So VE has no clock, trunk release, adj. wheel, etc. Nevertheless very reliable car, was able to replace engine for about $1200 including labor, got one from a junked car with only 93k miles.

Love my Corolla!!!
By Laura on 09/12/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car, I only had to replace the starter and battery so far. It always starts right up even on the coldest days of winter! I now need to replace the shocks/struts just from regular wear and tear. It's a nice looking car, but the back seat leg room isn't too good. Overall I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anybody. It has 160k and still runs like new!