Used 1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Mine may have been a lemon
By thecasualgamer

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Mine was actually a 4 speed auto, but manual was the only choice listed. I bought my Corolla in 2013, expecting it to be a cheap car that would be easy on gas, but it had problem after problem.It also had an oil burning problem. I learned a lot from this car though and it will hold value due to it being my first car ever. It was recently totaled and now I have an 02 Avalon. Here's to hoping that it'll be less problematic than the Corolla.

Really? Favorite Features on a Corolla from the 90's? What a laugh...

Hopefully by now they've fixed the oil burning issue, as I soon learned that it was a common problem on this generation.

It Just Won't Die
By fifi_lemon

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

This is a really good car. 12 years, it's still going pretty great. My mom's trying to get two more years out of it, which WILL happen, before she gets a new one. If you're looking for a reliable car for many years from now, this car is for you. No major breakdowns, except the "check engine" light has been going off. The mechanic says it's because a wire keeps getting bumped. For the love of pete.

AWESOME DEPENDABLE CAR!!!
By mal1028

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I personally have had my 1998 Corolla for over a year and I love it. Nothing has gone wrong on it other than a minor exhaust leak. I recommend this car for sure. It has always started during the freezing Canadian weather, and never let me down. Never broken down! it currently has 251 kms on it and is still going strong. 5 stars I would rate this car.

There aren't really any specific features that are on this car because it is pretty basic.

Improvements would have to be...... a newer corolla! for their year, they are great. I have a 98, and my mom has an 05 corolla, and we love them and have had no problems with them at all! highly recommended.

Nothing ever goes wrong with this car.
By Jazz

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Seriously, I bought it new 12 years ago, it has about 90,000 miles on it, it's gotten all its regular maintenance, and nothing serious has ever gone wrong with it. The only thing that doesn't work is that the 2nd radio button sticks. The engine's a bit underpowered, but you will not find a more reliable car. Also, the Toyota vehicles that had issues with accelerators were all 1990 or later, so 1980 is a good year for used models. It's comfy. I have a bad lower back, and the lumbar support is fantastic! It actually makes my back feel better, which is great for long drives. Unbelievably good gas mileage. I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Great lumbar support, 100% dependable, great gas mileage. I love that it won't let me leave my lights on or lock my keys in my car. The outside temperature reading is so handy to see from the driver's seat when I drove a different car, I kept looking for it and was disappointed it wasn't there.

The ashtray/cup holder arrangement is awkward. There's limited leg room in the back seats, but that's o.k. with me because it means lots more room in the trunk. The front storage compartment has weak hinges and you have to open and close it carefully.

PaZaZZ
By Outagas

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car new, excellent vehicle with great reliability. Best car we have ever owned, we will keep it for our grand kids and their kids. Car is getting to be a classic with excellent body lines, still looks like knew. The black flaked paint is awesome and people stop and ask about the color. Just a super car!

Ride; reliability; great big city in town car; does well on the highway with excellent gas mileage; stereo; handling; basically everything.

Plastic molding around the inside windows was a bad idea, peeled off; cup holders are not effective and poorly placed.