1998 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

1998 Corolla Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
It Just Won't Die
By fifi_lemon

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This is a really good car. 12 years, it's still going pretty great. My mom's trying to get two more years out of it, which WILL happen, before she gets a new one. If you're looking for a reliable car for many years from now, this car is for you. No major breakdowns, except the "check engine" light has been going off. The mechanic says it's because a wire keeps getting bumped. For the love of pete.

AWESOME DEPENDABLE CAR!!!
By mal1028

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I personally have had my 1998 Corolla for over a year and I love it. Nothing has gone wrong on it other than a minor exhaust leak. I recommend this car for sure. It has always started during the freezing Canadian weather, and never let me down. Never broken down! it currently has 251 kms on it and is still going strong. 5 stars I would rate this car.

Favorite Features

There aren't really any specific features that are on this car because it is pretty basic.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements would have to be...... a newer corolla! for their year, they are great. I have a 98, and my mom has an 05 corolla, and we love them and have had no problems with them at all! highly recommended.

Keeps going, and going, and ...
By lightningguy

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Bought used @ 116k miles. Rear struts were gone, outer door gaskets crumbled. (but this is common for this model with age.) needed new cat. Converter @ 138k, my fault - didn't change the plug wires! Runs like a gazelle! (amazingly well!) 163k miles now, uses less than 1/8th qt oil in 5,000 miles - unbelievable! Smog chk only slightly higher than new car! With practice, can get 46 mpg highway, with the auto trans! Original starter, water pump, etc. I'm 6,4" tall, 240 lbs, it's a *bit* cramped, but for the $$, that it will likely run forever; gonna keep it 'til it falls apart! Change oil / trans fluid religiously, new plugs & wires, etc, should last 400k miles or more. $3.00 for gas, hah!

Favorite Features

Economy, economy, economy. 34 mpg with a/c on at 70 mph! History of reliability. Did I mention economy?

Suggested Improvements

Old model, no point in listing them.

Love my Corolla!!!
By Laura

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car, I only had to replace the starter and battery so far. It always starts right up even on the coldest days of winter! I now need to replace the shocks/struts just from regular wear and tear. It's a nice looking car, but the back seat leg room isn't too good. Overall I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anybody. It has 160k and still runs like new!

Favorite Features

The front seats recline nicely so I can take a nap during my break at work! It has a nice big trunk for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

The ashtray should be on the dash away from the cup holders! You can't use the ashtray unless you close the cup holder and the cup holder is in the way of the cig lighter or cell phone charger!

Luv my 1998 Toyota
By Sweet Pea

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

What a fabulous small car! I have enjoyed driving this car for 11 years now, and it's still going strong. The fuel efficiency is outstanding. I have and never done anything other than routine maintenance on this car (which I purchased new), and it now has 195,000 miles on it. I recently test drove some new cars, and my 98 Toyota actually drove better than some of them!

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, durability, reliability and it's fun to drive (I'm 5'6").

Suggested Improvements

Improved cupholders would be good -- had several Pepsi Cola's fall in the floor. (Of course, but this is minor compared to all you get.)

ultimate reliability
By 9 longyears

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

my wife bought this car new 9 years and 214,000 miles ago. other than brakes and tires all parts are original with the exception of the starter, which we replaced last year. we are not gental car owners; its maybe been washed 4 times, we have driven 4 hours with two large dogs(over 200lbs) in the back seat (many times), and for the last two years abused by my daughter. it makes that energiser bunny look like a wuss. it's taken us from college to first jobs, from apartments to first home, through dating to marrige and kids. best built car ever.

Favorite Features

33mpg in the boston sub-burbs, 37 since we moved to the counry. never ending reliability.

Suggested Improvements

at 6'1" it't uncomfortable for me. paint was easy to scratch. the check engine light came on at 130000miles and no one(dealer, others) could shut it off.

Solid, reliable car with no frills
By Will E.

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Have had my Corolla CE with 5-Speed manual transmission for past 8 years (73k miles). Runs same as when new. It's a small car that isn't great on the highway due to the weight and powerplant (and additional passengers and/or having the AC on will bog it down somewhat), but it was cheap, reliable, and gets over 30 MPG city. I have had no mechanical problems - just change the oil, etc. Haven't even changed a light bulb. Overall a great value and I plan on driving it at least another few years.

Favorite Features

Cost to own, reliability, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room.

Corolla review
By Jim

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

The wife loves the car in all respects. I do not like its comfort level for me, although she is 5"1 and fits in it easily. I don't. Driving it is a pain for me at 5'10".

Favorite Features

MPG; looks; perfect for smaller person.

Suggested Improvements

Comfort for larger person.

Love my Corolla
By ADwyer

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Corolla because I wanted a car that would last, I could depend on, and wouldn't require a lot of unexpected repair cost. I have not been disappointed. I love the gas mileage, I love the realibility (which is second to none.) I have 165K on it today, and it shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Other than regular maintainence I have put nothing into this car. I think about buying something bigger because of the short backseat, however, I am scared to give up the dependability I have grown to expect.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage! As well as the incredible realibility. I have had no repairs, just the required tires, brakes, and oil change. This car is the dream of a single mother.

Suggested Improvements

The seat belt sensor stays on all the time. I really dislike the cup holders - you can't charge your cell phone, you have to move the drink to put in a cd, it covers up the storage area. The leg room, front & back, is very limited - it is after all a compact car.

Not as fun as I thought
By Ben Vo

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This car is not too bad. It bottoms out in the rear all the time. The shocks should be better than the one's it came with. Had a problem with the seatbelt sensor and my front lightbulbs wear out quickly.

Favorite Features

The cost to maintain is not very high.

Suggested Improvements

Shocks and the seatbelt sensor.