1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
It Just Won't Die
By fifi_lemon on 12/02/11 15:59 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This is a really good car. 12 years, it's still going pretty great. My mom's trying to get two more years out of it, which WILL happen, before she gets a new one. If you're looking for a reliable car for many years from now, this car is for you. No major breakdowns, except the "check engine" light has been going off. The mechanic says it's because a wire keeps getting bumped. For the love of pete.

AWESOME DEPENDABLE CAR!!!
By mal1028 on 11/02/11 12:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I personally have had my 1998 Corolla for over a year and I love it. Nothing has gone wrong on it other than a minor exhaust leak. I recommend this car for sure. It has always started during the freezing Canadian weather, and never let me down. Never broken down! it currently has 251 kms on it and is still going strong. 5 stars I would rate this car.

Keeps going, and going, and ...
By lightningguy on 08/28/10 22:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Bought used @ 116k miles. Rear struts were gone, outer door gaskets crumbled. (but this is common for this model with age.) needed new cat. Converter @ 138k, my fault - didn't change the plug wires! Runs like a gazelle! (amazingly well!) 163k miles now, uses less than 1/8th qt oil in 5,000 miles - unbelievable! Smog chk only slightly higher than new car! With practice, can get 46 mpg highway, with the auto trans! Original starter, water pump, etc. I'm 6,4" tall, 240 lbs, it's a *bit* cramped, but for the $$, that it will likely run forever; gonna keep it 'til it falls apart! Change oil / trans fluid religiously, new plugs & wires, etc, should last 400k miles or more. $3.00 for gas, hah!

Love my Corolla!!!
By Laura on 09/12/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car, I only had to replace the starter and battery so far. It always starts right up even on the coldest days of winter! I now need to replace the shocks/struts just from regular wear and tear. It's a nice looking car, but the back seat leg room isn't too good. Overall I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anybody. It has 160k and still runs like new!

Luv my 1998 Toyota
By Sweet Pea on 02/04/09 08:45 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

What a fabulous small car! I have enjoyed driving this car for 11 years now, and it's still going strong. The fuel efficiency is outstanding. I have and never done anything other than routine maintenance on this car (which I purchased new), and it now has 195,000 miles on it. I recently test drove some new cars, and my 98 Toyota actually drove better than some of them!

ultimate reliability
By 9 longyears on 01/15/07 19:23 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

my wife bought this car new 9 years and 214,000 miles ago. other than brakes and tires all parts are original with the exception of the starter, which we replaced last year. we are not gental car owners; its maybe been washed 4 times, we have driven 4 hours with two large dogs(over 200lbs) in the back seat (many times), and for the last two years abused by my daughter. it makes that energiser bunny look like a wuss. it's taken us from college to first jobs, from apartments to first home, through dating to marrige and kids. best built car ever.

Solid, reliable car with no frills
By Will E. on 08/04/06 06:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Have had my Corolla CE with 5-Speed manual transmission for past 8 years (73k miles). Runs same as when new. It's a small car that isn't great on the highway due to the weight and powerplant (and additional passengers and/or having the AC on will bog it down somewhat), but it was cheap, reliable, and gets over 30 MPG city. I have had no mechanical problems - just change the oil, etc. Haven't even changed a light bulb. Overall a great value and I plan on driving it at least another few years.

Corolla review
By Jim on 01/07/06 12:40 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

The wife loves the car in all respects. I do not like its comfort level for me, although she is 5"1 and fits in it easily. I don't. Driving it is a pain for me at 5'10".

Love my Corolla
By ADwyer on 03/17/05 14:06 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Corolla because I wanted a car that would last, I could depend on, and wouldn't require a lot of unexpected repair cost. I have not been disappointed. I love the gas mileage, I love the realibility (which is second to none.) I have 165K on it today, and it shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Other than regular maintainence I have put nothing into this car. I think about buying something bigger because of the short backseat, however, I am scared to give up the dependability I have grown to expect.

Not as fun as I thought
By Ben Vo on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This car is not too bad. It bottoms out in the rear all the time. The shocks should be better than the one's it came with. Had a problem with the seatbelt sensor and my front lightbulbs wear out quickly.