Used 1997 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most Helpful|
Great small car
By sasycdb

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

If you want a dependable, reliable car with good gas mileage, this is it! I have 73K miles (purchased used with 27K miles) and no problems or repairs (except normal oil change, tires, air filter). Tho not fancy, I can depend I will get where I need to go, I've never been stranded, and love my Corolla! Also good acceleration for a small engine/car.

Favorite Features

Dependable and reliable; gas mileage; easy to get into parking spaces

Suggested Improvements

seat comfort--on the long 7-8 hr trips I did get quite uncomfortable; cruise; tilt steering wheel; rain drips in front window if slightly open; a whislting on hwy if wind is from certain directions;

The Corollinator as she's well known as.
By Jon Austin

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car out of college cause it was a decent looking car and it had all the options extra options I was looking for like CD, power roof, alloy wheels, spoiler, wood trim, etc. at 12, 000 mi. I detailed cars for a living through school and she gets a good hows your father once a summer. It now has 93,000 and I've only had to put one set of front brakes and tires on it. That's it. I took it in for brakes at 60k and they told me "Nah, you got another 20 some odd thousand left on them. To this day, the car has a great finish, one crack in the vinyl on the side of the drivers seat. If you want a decent car that runs like a tank....Corollinator!

Favorite Features

Goes.

Suggested Improvements

Keep Going.

Good, reliable, no frills drive
By nycjen

1997 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

If you dont feel the need to impress folks with the car you drive, this car is a cheap and reliable one to drive and way easier to find parking spaces in than trendy SUV's!

Favorite Features

Price

Reliable despite very basic maintenance.
By Amit M.

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new - 5 sp. manual transmission. The car now has over 130K miles on it. Never performed any of the manufacturer-recommended scheduled maintenance. Change oil every 7000 miles (need to add a quart every 2000 miles or so). Haven't yet changed the timing belt. Original battery died after 10.5 years. Replaced front brakes and spark plugs at 100K miles (neither was probably necessary). I've been commuting 120 miles each day for over an year now - get 37-40 mpg on highway during winter (Connecticut), 42-45 mpg on highway during summer! I do keep my speed in check. Used to get lower mpg when they used to add MTBE instead of ethanol in the fuel.

Favorite Features

MPG. Much better reliability than my 2000 Sienna.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk light, intermittent wiper.

get a honda
By honda85

1997 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

This car is supposed to get at least 26 mpg. Over the past years it has only gotten 17!!! I don't live where there is tones of stop and go driving either. This car is not what it's made out to be. The engine is very high strung and noisey. And, if you don't mind having every car passing you when you're getting on the interstate, have at it!

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

everything-extremely slow take off