Used 1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Great little car
By Scott Libbee

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 97' Change oil every 4k. Changed plugs at 30k and 60k along with timing belt. Replaced front brake pads. That is it!!! Very reliable car. Have 88k trouble free miles. Plan on driving for 10 more years. Get over 30 MPG all the time. The fact that I don't need to keep on buying new cars all the time is helping me pay for daughters college Education. Way to go Toyota!!!

Favorite Features

Reliable-Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs arm reat and better cup holders. Not a great coffee drinking car. I will sacrifice these two for the great performace any day.

The perfect car...
By nphillippe

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love my Corolla DX. It's the perfect small car. It's reliable, comfortable, easy to drive, and handles great. So far it has about 98000 miles and I've never had any problems. Unfortunately, my car was recently struck on the passangers side at about 70-80 mph, so I can also say that it's reliable in a collision. The unibody absorbed the damage. Sadly, the body is unrepairable, although mechanically the car is still in perfect condition.

Favorite Features

The style, comfortable seats, small size, & great on gas mileage. I was getting about 35 mpg. The DX also has a rear reflector plate & larger tires than the base model. 1/2 of the back seat folds down and provides access to the trunk. All controls are easily accessable. Air cond. works great.

Suggested Improvements

None. This was the perfect car for me... I couldn't ask for more. I love everything about it... even the color and trim.

Did I love this car??
By sac

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in May 1997. Sold it as we had to go out of the country in Oct 2005. We put on 90K miles on it. We crisscrossed the continent with this car. We lived in DC area and drove it to places as far as St Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Boston, Toronto, Quebec City and Ottawa. We did this with two kids, stroller, suitcases and other stuff! The car never ever let us down. Bullet proof, absolutely reliable. All I did was regular oil changes. Only had to change brake pads, timing belt, tires and of course the battery. After all this the car felt like new while driving, gave amazing mileage (30-34 in city, 37-40 highway). We felt really sad selling it. Lucky lady who bought it from us!

Favorite Features

Easy to drive, small car, very small turning radius: get out of tight spaces easily. Great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Could have added map pockets on seat backs, better cup holders. Rear cup holders. Cover plate for the opening in center console to prevent things from falliing off.

Most reliable car ever owned
By brad

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 40K. While I maintained it, it never gave me one bit of a problem. Was getting 33 mpg. It was a pleasure to own this car. The reliability and fuel economy were unmatched. I could surprisingly lug around my toddler's car seat, stroller, and daughter's softball equipment with no problem. Solidly built through and through.

Favorite Features

The way you can adjust your antenna by hand even while your driving, the cupholders

Suggested Improvements

An elbow rest in the center maybe, better stereo/speakers, make it easier to change brake light

'97 CE is the best!!!
By dsouth

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Low maintanance costs, cheap to feed, reliable, easy to work on and repair.

Favorite Features

it's the CE, what special features? The basics rock!!! It has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Suggested Improvements

nothing.