Used 1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Amazing Economy Car
By yooper42985

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I inherited my Corolla in 2004 with 114k miles shortly after moving away to college. It isn’t sporty or sexy, but it was a far sight more reliable than the 1984 Grand Prix it replaced. The car now has 170k miles. In this time, aside from oil, tranny fluid, tires and brake pads all I have had replaced is the radiator, shocks/springs, and strut mounts. The radiator was actually still working fine, even with a whole rusted clear through it. But out of prudence, I decided to have it replaced. Gas mileage is great (24 city/32 highway), although I believe the newer Corollas are better with new technology. Not as good as a civic hatchback, but way more car. I have the 4 gear auto tranny.

Rock solid reliability. Fuel economy. Surprisingly comfortable interior for the price, I usually hate the inside of Japanese cars. Practical.

A larger engine option, I believe a 2.4 liter is available for 2009. Tighter suspension. Rear seats that fold down should be standard! Center arm rests. Seatbelts that retract!

Love my Yota
By Rich Pacacha

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car with 150000 miles on it. I do bank courier deliveries in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio with the car. I now have 329000 miles on it and have not had any engine or transmission problems. Power flush both components every 100000 miles. Replaced front wheel bearings, timing belt, and battery. I have been using Amsoil synthetic oil since day of purchase. Add 18 oz oil every 2,000 miles. This is the car that will break my heart when it quits. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, no squeaks or rattles and gets 35 mpg combined all winter and 39 mpg in the summer. Wish they were all this reliable.

Most reliable car I ever had
By Aum

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was amazing. My dad bought it used in 98 with only 5k miles on it, then gave it to my mom later, and then passed it on to me. I just sold it last week because of insurance cost, but this car is worth every penny. Never gave any member of my family any trouble, only did oil changes, and changed the timing belt after 102,000 miles. Everything else is original other than the tires.

More power, better acceleration

A total gem
By steve

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car after having to replace nearly all the parts on a 1995 Ford f150 [junk]. Since owning it, I have changed the oil every 3500 to 5000 miles and just recently did some work on it. I had a 125,000 tune up, and the battery died after 10 years. The timing belt is still good, it is like a cockroach, I do not think it will die. I have 127,000 miles on it and expect to go 300,000 with ease. Thought of getting a new one, but why, this car is amazing and what auto manufacturers should be producing. The 125,00 tune up was radiator flush, spark plugs, etc. And the mechanic said I could probably have gone to 150,000 and even then maybe not. What a car, love it love it love it.

Size, perfect, interior is very comfortable and offers skis through the back seat, has no problems making up to the mountains for a ski, here in Colorado, even after being 11 years old.

At the time it was not the style, however if it were a little higher off the ground that would have been perfect.

Reliable despite very basic maintenance.
By Amit M.

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new - 5 sp. manual transmission. The car now has over 130K miles on it. Never performed any of the manufacturer-recommended scheduled maintenance. Change oil every 7000 miles (need to add a quart every 2000 miles or so). Haven't yet changed the timing belt. Original battery died after 10.5 years. Replaced front brakes and spark plugs at 100K miles (neither was probably necessary). I've been commuting 120 miles each day for over an year now - get 37-40 mpg on highway during winter (Connecticut), 42-45 mpg on highway during summer! I do keep my speed in check. Used to get lower mpg when they used to add MTBE instead of ethanol in the fuel.

MPG. Much better reliability than my 2000 Sienna.

Trunk light, intermittent wiper.