1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Corolla Rolls On and On
By Chris on 04/23/08 18:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle new in 1997 and have used it primarily for work trips which are now 66 miles one way. The Corolla has 264,000 miles on it and has never broken down and has received normal maintenance. No engine problems whatsoever though it uses one quart of oil every 2,000 miles, similar to another reviewer's experience. Only recurring problem is the exhaust manifold has been replaced twice. Minnesota salt? The car is roomy enough but the comfort level becomes quite average after a while. Still - very economical at 38 mpg in the summer, 30 mpg in the winter (highway)

Almost Flawless
By pat on 04/08/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

A member of my family bought this car new in 97. I took ownership in '05 with 130K miles. This car has never been a problem!! Besides scheduled maintenance there has been little work done. It now has 190K miles on original wheel bearings, axles, exhaust, alternator, starter, engine, tranny, you name it. We have never seen a Check Engine light or had any sort of breakdown. I would drive it cross-country tomorrow if I had to. The only problem that has come up, besides just starting to use oil (1 quart in 2000 miles) is that the AC wont work in cool weather to defrost the windows but works fine in summer heat. Absolutely the best car I've ever owned.

500 miles per week commute
By rshots2001 on 04/04/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best, most reliable car I've ever owned. Bought it in 2000 with just 27,000 miles. Now at 248,000. Have only replaced brakes and an AC condenser. Still gets 36-39 mpg on highway. Great in winter with quality directional snows all around. Expect to get at least 350,000 out of this one!

Best car I've ever owned
By Diane on 07/16/07 12:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from a rental agency, with 20K miles on it. It has been the sole transportation for myself and my 2 children for the last 10 years. The only repair I've had to make was a starter replacement. Nothing else but scheduled maintenance. The car is comfortable and totally reliable, even at 210,000 miles. Has a very solid feel, handles well at all speeds, reasonable acceleration, 33-35 mpg even at interstate speeds.

97 Corolla CE Great
By flatoyce on 04/07/07 13:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Starts and runs great and smooth every time. General maintenance only: oil changes, transmission fluid, anti freeze, new battery, etc. Would definitely buy again but think this car will run forever.

Great little car
By Scott Libbee on 09/09/06 16:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 97' Change oil every 4k. Changed plugs at 30k and 60k along with timing belt. Replaced front brake pads. That is it!!! Very reliable car. Have 88k trouble free miles. Plan on driving for 10 more years. Get over 30 MPG all the time. The fact that I don't need to keep on buying new cars all the time is helping me pay for daughters college Education. Way to go Toyota!!!

The perfect car...
By nphillippe on 08/07/06 01:19 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love my Corolla DX. It's the perfect small car. It's reliable, comfortable, easy to drive, and handles great. So far it has about 98000 miles and I've never had any problems. Unfortunately, my car was recently struck on the passangers side at about 70-80 mph, so I can also say that it's reliable in a collision. The unibody absorbed the damage. Sadly, the body is unrepairable, although mechanically the car is still in perfect condition.

Did I love this car??
By sac on 08/04/06 04:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in May 1997. Sold it as we had to go out of the country in Oct 2005. We put on 90K miles on it. We crisscrossed the continent with this car. We lived in DC area and drove it to places as far as St Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Boston, Toronto, Quebec City and Ottawa. We did this with two kids, stroller, suitcases and other stuff! The car never ever let us down. Bullet proof, absolutely reliable. All I did was regular oil changes. Only had to change brake pads, timing belt, tires and of course the battery. After all this the car felt like new while driving, gave amazing mileage (30-34 in city, 37-40 highway). We felt really sad selling it. Lucky lady who bought it from us!

Most reliable car ever owned
By brad on 07/15/06 15:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 40K. While I maintained it, it never gave me one bit of a problem. Was getting 33 mpg. It was a pleasure to own this car. The reliability and fuel economy were unmatched. I could surprisingly lug around my toddler's car seat, stroller, and daughter's softball equipment with no problem. Solidly built through and through.

'97 CE is the best!!!
By dsouth on 03/29/06 14:15 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Low maintanance costs, cheap to feed, reliable, easy to work on and repair.