Used 1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

AWESOME!
By Fatina

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years and the only major work done is timing belt, water pump and starter. I have a little over 218,000 miles and it just keeps on ticking.

Amazing
By eesseJ

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is my third vehicle this year and by far the best. the second i got in this car and started driving it i was in love. I no longer am wasting gas as i did in my truck, cause getting more then 18mpg is almost orgasmic to me. If your looking into corolla's for your kids first cruiser, your 8th wonder or whatever, seriously buy one because you will not regret it at all.

Favorite Features

How fast it really can go first day i took it out got it to 100 easily.

Suggested Improvements

a bigger center console because i like to rest my right arm while driving but its fine cause there is one, just a lil low for my height.

Keep on making them rollas
By Brandon Wilson

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Corolla has been the only car that I ever owned and no doubt that I will probably let this baby go anytime soon. I had this car for 6 years and it's got over 215,000 miles on the original motor and automatic transmission. I purchased this car on 6/2003 with 52,352 miles at a dealership. The only major service work done on my corolla was a valve cover gasket, timing belt, and a water pump. Other than that, this car has never left me stranded on the road.

Favorite Features

The Value Package, Power windows, ABS are good options but the ability to add aftermarket exhaust parts is the most exciting thing that I put on my car.

Suggested Improvements

Add cruise control on all DX models, sunroof, sportier trim package and a better sound system.

Most reliable & economical car ever
By Kieron

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March 2001 with 60,000 miles on it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale so the ice cold A/C is a boon. I work the summers on Cape Cod so every year this little beauty runs the 1550M distance each way without a problem. The mileage is just approaching 140,000. I replaced the clutch at 100,000 (usually a driver induced problem). I have had one leak in a steering hose and that is it. I replaced the belts as a precaution at 130,000 and replaced the front pads at 135,000, the garage told me the rears didn't need changing yet!!! Loaded down with all my gear for the summer it goes fast enough to put me at risk of big speeding tickets and returns 36+MPG. An absolutely world class car.

Favorite Features

After 6 years of driving a 3,000 mile round trip it is great to load the car up and drive a 1500 mile leg without any fears of breakdown malfunctions or problems with this fantastic car.

Suggested Improvements

Are you kidding? For the price it does a fantastic job, it does what a car should do and it just keeps on doing it... maybe forever!!!

2nd corolla, love this one even better...
By Mark Miller

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2003, and it has been a solid, reliable purchase. No surprise there, as my first corolla (1981) lasted 14 years. The car is simply "a corolla"-built to last. I am surprised by the zip it has, and it handles very well through the corners, and is surprisingly quiet and smooth on the highway. In mixed driving, I get 32-36 mpg consistently. It's good for the daily commute, but I don't think I'd take it across country. Nonetheless the front seat is very comfy and it just has an all-around good feel to it. Paint has faded a bit off the back bumper, but otherwise, it still looks and feels great. I can't say enough good things about this car. Thought about selling it - but, naw!

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage. I've replaced the timing belt and water pump, re-did the front brakes, but those things are expected through 12 years. Easy to drive. Decent sized trunk for a compact. Hauls dirt pretty well, too. Really good AC. Heat is decent. Easy to change lights all around the car.

Suggested Improvements

No intermittent wiper. Rear-defrost went bad at year 11, but can I complain? Wish it had a tachometer. Can't think of anything else you'd expect from a basic compact. It's a solid car that I am happy to own (and will probably continue to own for many more years).