1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
The Corolla is a Warrior
By Edith Gipson on 05/12/09 22:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

No one has to tell that Toyota is the best car for the money. I bought my Corolla new in 1997 and have now passed it on to my son after purchasing a 2009 Camry. This car was so cute at first, then the paint begin to fade and the interior became a bit worn, but I never had to use public transportation... not ever. This little car has seen me through a lot and I'll always give the Corolla thumbs up. When I bought my new car, I couldn't help but lay my hands on "Ms. T" and say thanks for the ride. I had to replace a few minor parts, but nothing really major. Keep the oil changed every 3000 miles and this car keeps rolling. It should be in the car hall of fame.

Amazing Economy Car
By yooper42985 on 01/22/09 19:41 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I inherited my Corolla in 2004 with 114k miles shortly after moving away to college. It isn’t sporty or sexy, but it was a far sight more reliable than the 1984 Grand Prix it replaced. The car now has 170k miles. In this time, aside from oil, tranny fluid, tires and brake pads all I have had replaced is the radiator, shocks/springs, and strut mounts. The radiator was actually still working fine, even with a whole rusted clear through it. But out of prudence, I decided to have it replaced. Gas mileage is great (24 city/32 highway), although I believe the newer Corollas are better with new technology. Not as good as a civic hatchback, but way more car. I have the 4 gear auto tranny.

Love my Yota
By Rich Pacacha on 01/07/09 16:37 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car with 150000 miles on it. I do bank courier deliveries in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio with the car. I now have 329000 miles on it and have not had any engine or transmission problems. Power flush both components every 100000 miles. Replaced front wheel bearings, timing belt, and battery. I have been using Amsoil synthetic oil since day of purchase. Add 18 oz oil every 2,000 miles. This is the car that will break my heart when it quits. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, no squeaks or rattles and gets 35 mpg combined all winter and 39 mpg in the summer. Wish they were all this reliable.

Most reliable car I ever had
By Aum on 01/03/09 19:31 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was amazing. My dad bought it used in 98 with only 5k miles on it, then gave it to my mom later, and then passed it on to me. I just sold it last week because of insurance cost, but this car is worth every penny. Never gave any member of my family any trouble, only did oil changes, and changed the timing belt after 102,000 miles. Everything else is original other than the tires.

A total gem
By steve on 10/30/08 07:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car after having to replace nearly all the parts on a 1995 Ford f150 [junk]. Since owning it, I have changed the oil every 3500 to 5000 miles and just recently did some work on it. I had a 125,000 tune up, and the battery died after 10 years. The timing belt is still good, it is like a cockroach, I do not think it will die. I have 127,000 miles on it and expect to go 300,000 with ease. Thought of getting a new one, but why, this car is amazing and what auto manufacturers should be producing. The 125,00 tune up was radiator flush, spark plugs, etc. And the mechanic said I could probably have gone to 150,000 and even then maybe not. What a car, love it love it love it.

Reliable despite very basic maintenance.
By Amit M. on 10/03/08 11:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new - 5 sp. manual transmission. The car now has over 130K miles on it. Never performed any of the manufacturer-recommended scheduled maintenance. Change oil every 7000 miles (need to add a quart every 2000 miles or so). Haven't yet changed the timing belt. Original battery died after 10.5 years. Replaced front brakes and spark plugs at 100K miles (neither was probably necessary). I've been commuting 120 miles each day for over an year now - get 37-40 mpg on highway during winter (Connecticut), 42-45 mpg on highway during summer! I do keep my speed in check. Used to get lower mpg when they used to add MTBE instead of ethanol in the fuel.

Great, Reliable Car
By 97 DX on 06/11/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car new in 1997 and babied it ever since. I just bought it from him with only 87000 miles on it. The only thing he did was change oil every 3000 miles, replace timing belt and front brakes. I haven't even had this car long enough to determine my miles per gallon but I'm sure it will be outstanding. Great car for the money and very reliable. A+++

The Best Car Ever
By Sophia on 06/06/08 09:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I, unfortunately, was forced to sell my car 6 months ago because of a move. It was the best car ever! My mom purchased it new in 1997 and she passed it on to me with 30,000 miles in 2000. I drove it on long trips, long commutes, and stop and go traffic for 8 years and it NEVER gave me any trouble. The only thing I changed on it is the battery after 9 years of use and the tires because of normal wear and tear. I did regular maintenance on it to make sure it stayed happy and that's all I needed to do. I miss that car so much. If you get a chance to get one, buy it, you will not be disappointed!

Luv it more every day
By jhub on 06/05/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Only owned car for 3 months. The more I drive it the more I love it. Have had to replace a couple of engine mounts to take care of vibrations. Has 105000 miles so we have alot of life. The clear coat is coming off some parts but it's a '97. Gas mileage is consistantly 31 mpg (auto trans). That is great with gas at $4.10 per gallon. My kids find the back seat very comfortable. Only complaint is it needs usable cup holders front and back. Over all great little car. But it is little. Trunk is large for such a small car. We installed window tint on back windows which really helps keep heat down inside car. A/C works great, very cold. Handles very well in all conditions. Love it.

Love this car
By kathy Shaver on 04/25/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this Corolla for two years now. It was going to be a temporary car until I found something fancier. Well, I'm still driving it and loving it. I have had expensive cars for 38 years, Mercedes, BMW Jags, and they have all been expensive to maintain. This is the most basic one I have ever owned but it's one of the most reliable and least expensive one to run especially with the new gas prices. It has enough get up and go for heavy traffic and I never feel like I will be stranded like I did when I was driving a Jag. There is nothing I don't like about this car.