Used 1997 Toyota Corolla DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Long life
By rothkclark

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great car. Sold it in June of 2010 in order to buy an SUV. Great MPG and lasted! There was nothing wrong with it when I sold it. Had 194,000 miles and ran almost perfect. Sold it for $1,800 even though KBB listing was $2,200. Overall, it was great.

Amazing
By eesseJ

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is my third vehicle this year and by far the best. the second i got in this car and started driving it i was in love. I no longer am wasting gas as i did in my truck, cause getting more then 18mpg is almost orgasmic to me. If your looking into corolla's for your kids first cruiser, your 8th wonder or whatever, seriously buy one because you will not regret it at all.

Favorite Features

How fast it really can go first day i took it out got it to 100 easily.

Suggested Improvements

a bigger center console because i like to rest my right arm while driving but its fine cause there is one, just a lil low for my height.

Keep on making them rollas
By Brandon Wilson

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Corolla has been the only car that I ever owned and no doubt that I will probably let this baby go anytime soon. I had this car for 6 years and it's got over 215,000 miles on the original motor and automatic transmission. I purchased this car on 6/2003 with 52,352 miles at a dealership. The only major service work done on my corolla was a valve cover gasket, timing belt, and a water pump. Other than that, this car has never left me stranded on the road.

Favorite Features

The Value Package, Power windows, ABS are good options but the ability to add aftermarket exhaust parts is the most exciting thing that I put on my car.

Suggested Improvements

Add cruise control on all DX models, sunroof, sportier trim package and a better sound system.

Most reliable & economical car ever
By Kieron

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March 2001 with 60,000 miles on it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale so the ice cold A/C is a boon. I work the summers on Cape Cod so every year this little beauty runs the 1550M distance each way without a problem. The mileage is just approaching 140,000. I replaced the clutch at 100,000 (usually a driver induced problem). I have had one leak in a steering hose and that is it. I replaced the belts as a precaution at 130,000 and replaced the front pads at 135,000, the garage told me the rears didn't need changing yet!!! Loaded down with all my gear for the summer it goes fast enough to put me at risk of big speeding tickets and returns 36+MPG. An absolutely world class car.

Favorite Features

After 6 years of driving a 3,000 mile round trip it is great to load the car up and drive a 1500 mile leg without any fears of breakdown malfunctions or problems with this fantastic car.

Suggested Improvements

Are you kidding? For the price it does a fantastic job, it does what a car should do and it just keeps on doing it... maybe forever!!!

The Corolla is a Warrior
By Edith Gipson

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

No one has to tell that Toyota is the best car for the money. I bought my Corolla new in 1997 and have now passed it on to my son after purchasing a 2009 Camry. This car was so cute at first, then the paint begin to fade and the interior became a bit worn, but I never had to use public transportation... not ever. This little car has seen me through a lot and I'll always give the Corolla thumbs up. When I bought my new car, I couldn't help but lay my hands on "Ms. T" and say thanks for the ride. I had to replace a few minor parts, but nothing really major. Keep the oil changed every 3000 miles and this car keeps rolling. It should be in the car hall of fame.

Favorite Features

Simple clean design.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a racier exterior design.