1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Long life
By rothkclark on 08/13/10 15:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great car. Sold it in June of 2010 in order to buy an SUV. Great MPG and lasted! There was nothing wrong with it when I sold it. Had 194,000 miles and ran almost perfect. Sold it for $1,800 even though KBB listing was $2,200. Overall, it was great.

Amazing
By eesseJ on 10/01/09 08:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is my third vehicle this year and by far the best. the second i got in this car and started driving it i was in love. I no longer am wasting gas as i did in my truck, cause getting more then 18mpg is almost orgasmic to me. If your looking into corolla's for your kids first cruiser, your 8th wonder or whatever, seriously buy one because you will not regret it at all.

Keep on making them rollas
By Brandon Wilson on 09/18/09 19:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Corolla has been the only car that I ever owned and no doubt that I will probably let this baby go anytime soon. I had this car for 6 years and it's got over 215,000 miles on the original motor and automatic transmission. I purchased this car on 6/2003 with 52,352 miles at a dealership. The only major service work done on my corolla was a valve cover gasket, timing belt, and a water pump. Other than that, this car has never left me stranded on the road.

Most reliable & economical car ever
By Kieron on 08/25/09 16:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March 2001 with 60,000 miles on it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale so the ice cold A/C is a boon. I work the summers on Cape Cod so every year this little beauty runs the 1550M distance each way without a problem. The mileage is just approaching 140,000. I replaced the clutch at 100,000 (usually a driver induced problem). I have had one leak in a steering hose and that is it. I replaced the belts as a precaution at 130,000 and replaced the front pads at 135,000, the garage told me the rears didn't need changing yet!!! Loaded down with all my gear for the summer it goes fast enough to put me at risk of big speeding tickets and returns 36+MPG. An absolutely world class car.

The Corolla is a Warrior
By Edith Gipson on 05/12/09 22:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

No one has to tell that Toyota is the best car for the money. I bought my Corolla new in 1997 and have now passed it on to my son after purchasing a 2009 Camry. This car was so cute at first, then the paint begin to fade and the interior became a bit worn, but I never had to use public transportation... not ever. This little car has seen me through a lot and I'll always give the Corolla thumbs up. When I bought my new car, I couldn't help but lay my hands on "Ms. T" and say thanks for the ride. I had to replace a few minor parts, but nothing really major. Keep the oil changed every 3000 miles and this car keeps rolling. It should be in the car hall of fame.

Love my Yota
By Rich Pacacha on 01/07/09 16:37 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car with 150000 miles on it. I do bank courier deliveries in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio with the car. I now have 329000 miles on it and have not had any engine or transmission problems. Power flush both components every 100000 miles. Replaced front wheel bearings, timing belt, and battery. I have been using Amsoil synthetic oil since day of purchase. Add 18 oz oil every 2,000 miles. This is the car that will break my heart when it quits. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, no squeaks or rattles and gets 35 mpg combined all winter and 39 mpg in the summer. Wish they were all this reliable.

Most reliable car I ever had
By Aum on 01/03/09 19:31 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was amazing. My dad bought it used in 98 with only 5k miles on it, then gave it to my mom later, and then passed it on to me. I just sold it last week because of insurance cost, but this car is worth every penny. Never gave any member of my family any trouble, only did oil changes, and changed the timing belt after 102,000 miles. Everything else is original other than the tires.

A total gem
By steve on 10/30/08 07:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car after having to replace nearly all the parts on a 1995 Ford f150 [junk]. Since owning it, I have changed the oil every 3500 to 5000 miles and just recently did some work on it. I had a 125,000 tune up, and the battery died after 10 years. The timing belt is still good, it is like a cockroach, I do not think it will die. I have 127,000 miles on it and expect to go 300,000 with ease. Thought of getting a new one, but why, this car is amazing and what auto manufacturers should be producing. The 125,00 tune up was radiator flush, spark plugs, etc. And the mechanic said I could probably have gone to 150,000 and even then maybe not. What a car, love it love it love it.

Great, Reliable Car
By 97 DX on 06/11/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My dad bought this car new in 1997 and babied it ever since. I just bought it from him with only 87000 miles on it. The only thing he did was change oil every 3000 miles, replace timing belt and front brakes. I haven't even had this car long enough to determine my miles per gallon but I'm sure it will be outstanding. Great car for the money and very reliable. A+++

Love this car
By kathy Shaver on 04/25/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this Corolla for two years now. It was going to be a temporary car until I found something fancier. Well, I'm still driving it and loving it. I have had expensive cars for 38 years, Mercedes, BMW Jags, and they have all been expensive to maintain. This is the most basic one I have ever owned but it's one of the most reliable and least expensive one to run especially with the new gas prices. It has enough get up and go for heavy traffic and I never feel like I will be stranded like I did when I was driving a Jag. There is nothing I don't like about this car.