Used 1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Great Car !!
By Jasmine

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago with 227,000 miles on it ! Yes I know , a lot lol . This car is very durable . Only repairs I've made were the brake lights , tires , and struts . My car now has 266,000 miles on it and it and still runs like new !

An Old Reliable Friend
By Tom

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Corolla back in 2005 with under 60,000 miles. Today it has over 266,000 miles. The car has been a stalwart companion over the last 10+ years. Up until 2 years ago the only maintenance items were changing the brakes, battery and tires. I will say the A/C broke a few years into the purchase, and I never got it fixed, but you get used to that. Over the last few years had to put an alternator, serpentine belt, spark plug wires and starter; but considering the first 180,000 miles of ownership went so smooth, I guess it is to be expected. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for something simple, no nonsense and needs a reliable ride.

1998 COROLLA LE, black
By guitartec

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

1998 COROLLA LE AUTOMATIC. I bought it in Sept 2012 with a confirmed 98K on the odometer with the intent of keeping it for MANY years to come. I drive 100 miles per day, so I want the ride quality top notch (well balanced). Due to this, I personally installed a new Bilstein suspension, including new "normal ride height" springs, all greasable good quality fittings, super heavy-duty inner tie rods and polyurethane bushings. I did this because the orig. suspension was sagging a bit making it tough to get over the bump at the foot of my driveway.

The engine in the 1998 is one of the only years that it came with a timing chain, not a timing belt. I love Cruise Control, which my LE has. Oddly, there's an idiot light to tell you the CC system is activated, but no light to tell you it's actually engaged. I installed a Bilstein full OEM suspension along with new OEM height springs and polyurethane front bushings. The best thing I have installed was a Viper remote long-range starter with a remote that confirms the car has started. I HIGHLY recommend a Viper remote starter. I just ordered from Tire Rack new 14" alloy wheels and tire package. This is for a better ride quality, not looks. A/C works ok, but robs some eng. power

Viper remote starter Alloy wheels and good all-season tires Bilstein B4 struts all around Bluetooth stereo Filling the gas tank to the brim, which I need to do due to the miles I drive, can cause the car to hesitate on acceleration or stall out when at idle. This is only due to a poor design of the gas tank's venting sys. Since Toyota didn't install a one-way valve to prevent raw gas from going up a hose meant for fumes only, when the tank is filled to the brim, gasoline can often make its way up the vent hose and flood the carbon canister. The gas then makes it's way up to the VSV solenoid in the engine compartment & clogs it. I installed a sight filter so I can see when this happens

Safety outweighs fun!
By DrPhil321

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

It's 2010 and I got this car over a year ago, has 70,000 miles. No problems! Looks old, and I'm 6'2" so it's hard to fit in it. The A/C also poor. This is a point A to point B car.

No problems!

N/A

Best car ever.
By kelli B.

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 years ago with 193,000 for 500 dollars. I know crazy. It has never left me walking. I have done minor repairs, new distributor cap and new plugs and wires, new tires and battery. I drive this car 120 miles a day 4 days a week sometimes more. It now has 239,500 miles and I hope it keeps on going. It truly is a gem and I got a steal. It made my 500$ back long ago! I want another one! I drive a 4 door Dodge 3/4 ton diesel so tjis car saves me so much money running back and forth to work! Sometimes I'd really Rather be in my Toyota than that Dodge!

Gas mileage, reliability

Paint has white rust but it is 13 years old.

• SUV