1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
1998 COROLLA LE, black
By guitartec on 07/13/14 10:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

1998 COROLLA LE AUTOMATIC. I bought it in Sept 2012 with a confirmed 98K on the odometer with the intent of keeping it for MANY years to come. I drive 100 miles per day, so I want the ride quality top notch (well balanced). Due to this, I personally installed a new Bilstein suspension, including new "normal ride height" springs, all greasable good quality fittings, super heavy-duty inner tie rods and polyurethane bushings. I did this because the orig. suspension was sagging a bit making it tough to get over the bump at the foot of my driveway.

Safety outweighs fun!
By DrPhil321 on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

It's 2010 and I got this car over a year ago, has 70,000 miles. No problems! Looks old, and I'm 6'2" so it's hard to fit in it. The A/C also poor. This is a point A to point B car.

Best car ever.
By kelli B. on 08/21/10 21:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 years ago with 193,000 for 500 dollars. I know crazy. It has never left me walking. I have done minor repairs, new distributor cap and new plugs and wires, new tires and battery. I drive this car 120 miles a day 4 days a week sometimes more. It now has 239,500 miles and I hope it keeps on going. It truly is a gem and I got a steal. It made my 500$ back long ago! I want another one! I drive a 4 door Dodge 3/4 ton diesel so tjis car saves me so much money running back and forth to work! Sometimes I'd really Rather be in my Toyota than that Dodge!

Corolla, Not a Bad Little Car
By Robert Gould on 08/18/10 12:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was the third owner of this Base Corolla with 97,000 miles. It was a little beat up, but in great running condition. Had to put a timing belt on at 100,000 miles, put some speakers in the back"only came with two up front" and cd player. I have not had any mechanical problems, runs well and rides like a compact. The Clear Coat finish was flaking a bit on the roof and truck when I bought it and has continued, not sure if it pays to have it fixed. I payed $4800 in February 2009. Overall this car is nice, not very big and does not ride like our 96 Camry. Good cheap car.

Long life
By rothkclark on 08/13/10 15:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great car. Sold it in June of 2010 in order to buy an SUV. Great MPG and lasted! There was nothing wrong with it when I sold it. Had 194,000 miles and ran almost perfect. Sold it for $1,800 even though KBB listing was $2,200. Overall, it was great.

AWESOME!
By Fatina on 01/06/10 15:40 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years and the only major work done is timing belt, water pump and starter. I have a little over 218,000 miles and it just keeps on ticking.

Amazing
By eesseJ on 10/01/09 08:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is my third vehicle this year and by far the best. the second i got in this car and started driving it i was in love. I no longer am wasting gas as i did in my truck, cause getting more then 18mpg is almost orgasmic to me. If your looking into corolla's for your kids first cruiser, your 8th wonder or whatever, seriously buy one because you will not regret it at all.

Keep on making them rollas
By Brandon Wilson on 09/18/09 19:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Corolla has been the only car that I ever owned and no doubt that I will probably let this baby go anytime soon. I had this car for 6 years and it's got over 215,000 miles on the original motor and automatic transmission. I purchased this car on 6/2003 with 52,352 miles at a dealership. The only major service work done on my corolla was a valve cover gasket, timing belt, and a water pump. Other than that, this car has never left me stranded on the road.

Most reliable & economical car ever
By Kieron on 08/25/09 16:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in March 2001 with 60,000 miles on it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale so the ice cold A/C is a boon. I work the summers on Cape Cod so every year this little beauty runs the 1550M distance each way without a problem. The mileage is just approaching 140,000. I replaced the clutch at 100,000 (usually a driver induced problem). I have had one leak in a steering hose and that is it. I replaced the belts as a precaution at 130,000 and replaced the front pads at 135,000, the garage told me the rears didn't need changing yet!!! Loaded down with all my gear for the summer it goes fast enough to put me at risk of big speeding tickets and returns 36+MPG. An absolutely world class car.

2nd corolla, love this one even better...
By Mark Miller on 06/17/09 23:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2003, and it has been a solid, reliable purchase. No surprise there, as my first corolla (1981) lasted 14 years. The car is simply "a corolla"-built to last. I am surprised by the zip it has, and it handles very well through the corners, and is surprisingly quiet and smooth on the highway. In mixed driving, I get 32-36 mpg consistently. It's good for the daily commute, but I don't think I'd take it across country. Nonetheless the front seat is very comfy and it just has an all-around good feel to it. Paint has faded a bit off the back bumper, but otherwise, it still looks and feels great. I can't say enough good things about this car. Thought about selling it - but, naw!