Used 1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Worst Car I've ever driven!
By Kevinster

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I admit this car has its place... and it's not with me.
I've driven quite a few cars and I would consider myself a "car guy", so I'm going to base my review on that.

Apart from the quite ugly exterior there's not much to talk about there. Upon entering the car you'll notice it sits VERY low to the ground and for a "family sedan" you would be surprised. A nice amenity it has is that it has power windows, and the amenities stop there. Although the interior has some decent soft touch plastics, you'll notice it's not very inviting. The look is very bland. One thing I'm surprised on is that it has no cupholders. The seats feel like you're sitting on an old sofa and the rear seats seem to be missing headrests. It has a radio with a tape player; so nothing out of place for that year of vehicle.

Now for the drive. The suspension feels okay, and I can say that's the best thing about the car. It's not so soft, but it does soak up a bit of the bumps in the road. Steering is quite bad and has very little direct response, but most people could live with it. Now, the acceleration is my main issue here: it feels like it has none. You practically have to floor it to even get moving to speed and there is just no enjoyment in driving this car. The brakes are also quite unresponsive.

If you actually enjoy driving this is NOT the car for you. If you could care less about what car you drive, want something cheap and to get to point A to point B I suppose this car is okay. But with how low it rides, how small it is, lack of cupholders and with the slow moving speeds I would say this isn't a good daily driver.

My car has 341000 miles
By Myriam

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Happy that my Corolla has 341000 miles and runs well. I absolutely love my Corolla!

Great Car !!
By Jasmine

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two years ago with 227,000 miles on it ! Yes I know , a lot lol . This car is very durable . Only repairs I've made were the brake lights , tires , and struts . My car now has 266,000 miles on it and it and still runs like new !

An Old Reliable Friend
By Tom

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Corolla back in 2005 with under 60,000 miles. Today it has over 266,000 miles. The car has been a stalwart companion over the last 10+ years. Up until 2 years ago the only maintenance items were changing the brakes, battery and tires. I will say the A/C broke a few years into the purchase, and I never got it fixed, but you get used to that. Over the last few years had to put an alternator, serpentine belt, spark plug wires and starter; but considering the first 180,000 miles of ownership went so smooth, I guess it is to be expected.

I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for something simple, no nonsense and needs a reliable ride.

1998 COROLLA LE, black
By guitartec

1997 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

1998 COROLLA LE AUTOMATIC.
I bought it in Sept 2012 with a confirmed 98K on the odometer with the intent of keeping it for MANY years to come. I drive 100 miles per day, so I want the ride quality top notch (well balanced). Due to this, I personally installed a new Bilstein suspension, including new "normal ride height" springs, all greasable good quality fittings, super heavy-duty inner tie rods and polyurethane bushings. I did this because the orig. suspension was sagging a bit making it tough to get over the bump at the foot of my driveway.

The engine in the 1998 is one of the only years that it came with a timing chain, not a timing belt. I love Cruise Control, which my LE has. Oddly, there's an idiot light to tell you the CC system is activated, but no light to tell you it's actually engaged. I installed a Bilstein full OEM suspension along with new OEM height springs and polyurethane front bushings. The best thing I have installed was a Viper remote long-range starter with a remote that confirms the car has started. I HIGHLY recommend a Viper remote starter. I just ordered from Tire Rack new 14" alloy wheels and tire package. This is for a better ride quality, not looks. A/C works ok, but robs some eng. power

Viper remote starter Alloy wheels and good all-season tires Bilstein B4 struts all around Bluetooth stereo Filling the gas tank to the brim, which I need to do due to the miles I drive, can cause the car to hesitate on acceleration or stall out when at idle. This is only due to a poor design of the gas tank's venting sys. Since Toyota didn't install a one-way valve to prevent raw gas from going up a hose meant for fumes only, when the tank is filled to the brim, gasoline can often make its way up the vent hose and flood the carbon canister. The gas then makes it's way up to the VSV solenoid in the engine compartment & clogs it. I installed a sight filter so I can see when this happens