Used 1997 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

1998 COROLLA LE, black
By guitartec

1997 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

1998 COROLLA LE AUTOMATIC. I bought it in Sept 2012 with a confirmed 98K on the odometer with the intent of keeping it for MANY years to come. I drive 100 miles per day, so I want the ride quality top notch (well balanced). Due to this, I personally installed a new Bilstein suspension, including new "normal ride height" springs, all greasable good quality fittings, super heavy-duty inner tie rods and polyurethane bushings. I did this because the orig. suspension was sagging a bit making it tough to get over the bump at the foot of my driveway.

The engine in the 1998 is one of the only years that it came with a timing chain, not a timing belt. I love Cruise Control, which my LE has. Oddly, there's an idiot light to tell you the CC system is activated, but no light to tell you it's actually engaged. I installed a Bilstein full OEM suspension along with new OEM height springs and polyurethane front bushings. The best thing I have installed was a Viper remote long-range starter with a remote that confirms the car has started. I HIGHLY recommend a Viper remote starter. I just ordered from Tire Rack new 14" alloy wheels and tire package. This is for a better ride quality, not looks. A/C works ok, but robs some eng. power

Viper remote starter Alloy wheels and good all-season tires Bilstein B4 struts all around Bluetooth stereo Filling the gas tank to the brim, which I need to do due to the miles I drive, can cause the car to hesitate on acceleration or stall out when at idle. This is only due to a poor design of the gas tank's venting sys. Since Toyota didn't install a one-way valve to prevent raw gas from going up a hose meant for fumes only, when the tank is filled to the brim, gasoline can often make its way up the vent hose and flood the carbon canister. The gas then makes it's way up to the VSV solenoid in the engine compartment & clogs it. I installed a sight filter so I can see when this happens

Safety outweighs fun!
By DrPhil321

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

It's 2010 and I got this car over a year ago, has 70,000 miles. No problems! Looks old, and I'm 6'2" so it's hard to fit in it. The A/C also poor. This is a point A to point B car.

No problems!

N/A

Best car ever.
By kelli B.

1997 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 years ago with 193,000 for 500 dollars. I know crazy. It has never left me walking. I have done minor repairs, new distributor cap and new plugs and wires, new tires and battery. I drive this car 120 miles a day 4 days a week sometimes more. It now has 239,500 miles and I hope it keeps on going. It truly is a gem and I got a steal. It made my 500$ back long ago! I want another one! I drive a 4 door Dodge 3/4 ton diesel so tjis car saves me so much money running back and forth to work! Sometimes I'd really Rather be in my Toyota than that Dodge!

Gas mileage, reliability

Paint has white rust but it is 13 years old.

Corolla, Not a Bad Little Car
By Robert Gould

1997 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I was the third owner of this Base Corolla with 97,000 miles. It was a little beat up, but in great running condition. Had to put a timing belt on at 100,000 miles, put some speakers in the back"only came with two up front" and cd player. I have not had any mechanical problems, runs well and rides like a compact. The Clear Coat finish was flaking a bit on the roof and truck when I bought it and has continued, not sure if it pays to have it fixed. I payed $4800 in February 2009. Overall this car is nice, not very big and does not ride like our 96 Camry. Good cheap car.

Gas Millage, Very Reliable!

Fix the flaking clear coat finish, Cruise Control in the base model.

Long life
By rothkclark

1997 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

Great car. Sold it in June of 2010 in order to buy an SUV. Great MPG and lasted! There was nothing wrong with it when I sold it. Had 194,000 miles and ran almost perfect. Sold it for $1,800 even though KBB listing was $2,200. Overall, it was great.