1996 Toyota Corolla Consumer Review: "The People's Car" of the '90s

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

"The People's Car" of the '90s
By FanOfDr.Saito on

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

This has been a wonderful car to own & maintain; my wife bought it new when she was in college, and I got it after we married. It's "the little import that could"; I have over 160K mi. on it, have used it 'in ways the designers never intended' (truck, off-road vehicle, long-range transport), and it *just keeps running*. I am able to squeeze 36 MPG combined with thrifty road habits. The body has its scars from the parking lot and highway rubble, but I don't abuse the drivetrain or suspension, and give fluids as recommended. I love this little guy; he's a loyal, modest and well-mannered steed. I will likely drive this car until it is killed in a wreck/earthquake (CA resident, of course).

MPG and maintenance costs that makes SUVs and trucks weep tears of injustice and envy. Runs and runs and runs; fairly smooth engine and ride considering its petite size.

None; this car has already exceeded my expectations in longevity and service. NOTE: The rankings are assuming compared to all cars, not "others of its class"; if so, should add one point to all "Ride/Drive" items.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review