Used 1996 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sold
By sold

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

No repairs and always starts to 180000+ miles. Still getting 32 miles to gallon.

seat backs are uncomfortable.

Incredibly Reliable, Cheap to Own
By ayersdj

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Bought this from the second owner 6 years ago. 5 speed stick with A/C. Now have 143,000 miles on it. Has never broken down on us. Other than a suspension job at 141,000 and a new a/c compressor at 143,000, never anything but standard maintenance. Northern car, bad winters but no rust. Last week, got 45 mpg on a 300 mile drive, with the a/c on. Not a fast or fancy car, dies on steep hills, not much pep for passing. But a great car if you want something reliable that is cheap to drive and won't leave you waiting for a tow. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Sound engine that uses little gas. 5 speed stick.

Better way to secure driver floor mat. DX engine would have given better performance passing and getting up hills with a car loaded with passengers and cargo.

Best investment ever
By Kelly

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with only 17,000 miles on it and drove it into the ground with 180,000. The only thing I replaced outside of nomral oil changes, brake discs and tires was the radiator and that was at the very end of the life of this car. I t got amazing gas mileage and it zipped in and out of traffic. It does not have a lot of get up and go, and it is a very basic design but this is a great starter car for a new driver!!

Gas mileage

Will it last forever?
By duster497

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I was looking for a cheap, used and reliable car. I found this 1996 Toyota Corolla DX. It's dark green w/tan interior & a spoiler. It's a 5 spd manual, PW/PL/P mirrors, cruise, A/C. Everything works on this car, even the A/c. It has 158,800 miles on it, but it runs like it has 58,000 on it. It's fun to drive, easy to drive and easy to park. A little light at higher speeds, but not bad. Rides ok, a bit rough on bumps. I'm averaging 30 MPG around town, a wee bit of highway and A/C use. If you can find a used Corolla in good shape, don't hesitate to buy it!

Fun to drive, stick shift, MPG, looks nice

None-since it's 10 years old :P

Want Another
By Unkel

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Wagon

They should still make Corolla wagons. I'd get another. Ten years, 212000 miles, the only problem is oil burning - I just use thicker viscosity. I've done only minor repairs from wear and tear. Original clutch and exhaust - amazing considering winter driving. The reliability, efficiency, and practicality of this car should be emulated. I average 42 mpg summer, 34 mpg winter, overall 38 mpg. I don't baby this car - I don't slow down for speed bumps, I use it like a pick-up (firewood, cement, loam, etc.), I carry people, luggage, doors, trees from the nursery... I fear this one is irreplaceable. Toyota should return to making the Corolla wagon. Try it as a hybrid, or at least with very low emissions. For now, if I had to replace this, it'd be with a Focus.

As above - reliability, practicality - and at this stage, it's almost free to own.