1996 Toyota Corolla Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
best and last car I will ever need
By DavidRosenburg on 05/10/05 19:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car is by far the best car you can buy for the money, I get 35 miles per gallon on freeway and 29 in town. It's easy to park and you feel like you're in a sports car, I know if you buy one you will thank me later. Oh yes I am retired, I had an auto shop once, I know what to look for in a car and this is the one, TRUST ME I KNOW.

Great Car
By Great reliability on 12/10/04 00:11 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my parents at the start of my freshman year of college (August 2001,it had 47,000). Right now I am a senior and about to graduate in May 05(mileage is 97,100). I have been driving back and forth to college (60 miles round trip) every year except my sophmore year. So far the car has been reliable. It has great fuel economy. The maintanence that I had to do on it was oil changes, tires and brakes.The starter did go out when it was it my parents car and it had only 42,000. I also have a wind noise especially during the summer or rain, but it does not affect anything. I reccomend this car to somebody that looks to save on gas and for something reliable but not expensive.

reliability with economy with quality
By JODASACA on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Toyota is probably the best car you can buy for the money you spend. I have the 1.8 liter engine in my Corolla. It give me good performance with good economy. My Corolla hardly ever needs anything done to it. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned. It sure beats the American car I previously owned

7 years, 200,000+ kms, <$1000 in repairs
By Chriso on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 7 years and over 200,000 kms. In all that time i had to replace a clutch, a waterpump, and the front exhaust pipe for a total of under $1000 in unscehduled maintence which in way better than any other car I have had or know of. I had this car since my early 20's and drove it very hard the first few years, never broke a thing. Car still gets close to 40 mpg on the highway. The 5-speed gives the car a lot more umph especially off the line and highway passing. I will drive this car until it dies which at the rate it has been going so far will be years down the road. Best investment i have ever made.

Great Car!!!!
By A. Croyle on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been excellent! I got it used from my Grandfather who used it to deliver the mail in the country. The car body sure took a beating on all those dirt roads, but I have had no mechanical problems with it thus far. I have had it for over 4 years. It gets GREAT gas mileage even in the city. Even with such high mileage, it has performed great--unlike my parents' American-made cars(GMC Yukon and Ford Mustang) that have had MAJOR problems within 2 years of buying brand new. I am very impressed with Toyota and would highly recommend this car to everyone.

Too hyped. Very uncomfortable vehicle
By Prez Max on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is actually my wife's car, but as a 6'2" person, this car is horible for comfort. The door jam is small compared to similar cars. The vehicle is very underpowered and gets lousy gas milage at that!

I hate to see U go!!!!
By Tisha on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed my corolla since I have had it I have driven it from Texas to Ohio it has been a great car for transporting my children when they were little. Though now they are older and my son 15 and at 311 playing football, when I pick up he and his friends from practice the joke is how many football players can we fit in a sardine can!!! Other then that this has been the best car I have ever had!!! I HATE TO SEE HER GO!!!

Not too good of a car
By midwest on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Replaced brakes at 40K, starter at 60K. Very loud and audible vibration/shaking in engine compartment that dealer was unsuccessful in troubleshooting (despite the freindly $100 charge). Driver side seat belt gets stuck, dealer could not repair but advised complete replacement. Dealer advised engine mount replacment at 100k.

corolla = good
By greenrolla on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

it's a great car for a daily comuter!

Not cool but wouldnt give it up
By polskibear5 on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just had a chance to replace my little yota with a 2004 nissan altima and I said no. This is the best car in the world, even if it lacks power and looks. Its reliable, and really efficient. All that a collage student really needs.