Used 1996 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Good over all car
By Michael

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 176000 miles on it and the previous owner was an old lady and drove it with the axle almost broken so it messed up the transmission so I had it replaced. Other than that, the car runs and handles well and now it has 190,000 miles on it and the engine still does not burn oil and no leaks. Of course I have to do the regular maintenance. It's a really great car for starters and specially now the gas price is going up again.

Favorite Features

Roomy, easy to use controls and a nice small car.

Suggested Improvements

I guess more insulation to buffer wind noise.

"The People's Car" of the '90s
By FanOfDr.Saito

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

This has been a wonderful car to own & maintain; my wife bought it new when she was in college, and I got it after we married. It's "the little import that could"; I have over 160K mi. on it, have used it 'in ways the designers never intended' (truck, off-road vehicle, long-range transport), and it *just keeps running*. I am able to squeeze 36 MPG combined with thrifty road habits. The body has its scars from the parking lot and highway rubble, but I don't abuse the drivetrain or suspension, and give fluids as recommended. I love this little guy; he's a loyal, modest and well-mannered steed. I will likely drive this car until it is killed in a wreck/earthquake (CA resident, of course).

Favorite Features

MPG and maintenance costs that makes SUVs and trucks weep tears of injustice and envy. Runs and runs and runs; fairly smooth engine and ride considering its petite size.

Suggested Improvements

None; this car has already exceeded my expectations in longevity and service. NOTE: The rankings are assuming compared to all cars, not "others of its class"; if so, should add one point to all "Ride/Drive" items.

Wish it would last forever...
By ToyotaYes

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 14,000 miles on it in 1997. I have never had any major problems with this car. It has always been reliable. I am just sad now that I have over 171,000 miles that it is finally going to cost me more to fix than the car is worth. I tell you I am tempted to get it fixed anyway. I LOVED driving this car all these years and my next car will certainly be a Toyota. I wish it could keep going for another 171,000 miles.

Great Reliable Car!
By Jessie

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car! I bought the car from my parents right out of high school. The car has been very reliable and gets great fuel mileage. This car has handled well on dirt roads and in town. For the most part I have only done the basic maintenance on the car: tires, oil changes, brakes. For the car having 230,000 miles on it, it has done really well. The only problems I have had are the lights for the air adjustment don't come on consistently and the rear struts just went out on it. I have been very happy with this car and am looking into other Toyota models to replace it.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the back seat.

My Little Toyota
By Brobolt44

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Toyota Corolla is the best car I have ever owned. Front to back, inside and out, I just love everything about it. Toyota sure knew what they were doing when they made this car. They equipped it with the convenience of keyless remote entry, an alarm system, and anti theft system. The highly efficient 4 cylinder is almost self-maintained, and if necessary, very easily repaired. There's plenty of room inside for the passengers to ride comfortably, large enough trunk space for regular cargo storage. It handles so well, it seems to just float down the highway. This car has no problems holding it's own out on the road. And at 40 miles per gallon, who would ever want to drive anything else?

Favorite Features

Well it would be hard to choose a favorite feature. Between the leg room, head room, quiet cabin, handling and suspension, every feature is my favorite. But if I had to narrow it down to one, I would have to say the fuel efficiency of this car is #1. You just can't beat 40 miles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

My particular model is not equipped with cruise control or anti lock brakes. These can be added as aftermarket accessories, but should have been included at the manufacturer.