Used 1996 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

My Little Toyota
By Brobolt44

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Toyota Corolla is the best car I have ever owned. Front to back, inside and out, I just love everything about it. Toyota sure knew what they were doing when they made this car. They equipped it with the convenience of keyless remote entry, an alarm system, and anti theft system. The highly efficient 4 cylinder is almost self-maintained, and if necessary, very easily repaired. There's plenty of room inside for the passengers to ride comfortably, large enough trunk space for regular cargo storage. It handles so well, it seems to just float down the highway. This car has no problems holding it's own out on the road. And at 40 miles per gallon, who would ever want to drive anything else?

Favorite Features

Well it would be hard to choose a favorite feature. Between the leg room, head room, quiet cabin, handling and suspension, every feature is my favorite. But if I had to narrow it down to one, I would have to say the fuel efficiency of this car is #1. You just can't beat 40 miles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

My particular model is not equipped with cruise control or anti lock brakes. These can be added as aftermarket accessories, but should have been included at the manufacturer.

My favorite car ever
By looking4car

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I have never had luck with cars, so when I have purchased this car from a friend I thought as long as it gets me through a year. But this has turned out to be my favorite car I have ever owned, and there have been many. The mileage is great, and I haven't had any major problems. I would say that cruise control would have been nice in this car but not necessary. I would buy another car like this if I could find one.

Favorite Features

That it's 5 speed, The interior, Radio.

Suggested Improvements

cruise control

Great Reliable Car!
By Jessie

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car! I bought the car from my parents right out of high school. The car has been very reliable and gets great fuel mileage. This car has handled well on dirt roads and in town. For the most part I have only done the basic maintenance on the car: tires, oil changes, brakes. For the car having 230,000 miles on it, it has done really well. The only problems I have had are the lights for the air adjustment don't come on consistently and the rear struts just went out on it. I have been very happy with this car and am looking into other Toyota models to replace it.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the back seat.

One great little car.
By jadejaz

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my '96 Corolla in May of 2012 from a Porsche dealership. It was used with 106k miles on it, and I probably overpaid for it at $4k. I haven't put more than 5k miles on it since my purchase, but it has been a great car to me! I never worry about it not starting and it has never had any major problems - all I've really put into it is routine maintenance. For a car that is nearing twenty years old, it's got surprisingly good gas mileage. I get 30 hw and 25 city, give or take. My car is also an automatic, which would explain the mpg being a little lower than that of the standard manual models. Being a college student, it's cheap to maintain and perfect for me.

Favorite Features

I love that it's so tiny! This car can fit anywhere. The A/C blow ice cold and there is a surprising amount of room in the backseat and trunk for a car this size. Everything is well-positioned and simple - it's not super fancy and every button has a purpose to me. This car is basic. It gives you what you need to get from point A to point B. That's what I wanted and it's what I got.

Suggested Improvements

I would love cruise control - although that's probably just an issue with my particular car. It's also pretty low to the ground, so if you're a tall person some find it cramped. I'm 5'8" and fit in it comfortably, but my 5'7" mother hates it. It doesn't speed up very fast either... but since I'm no speeder, this is fine for me. If you want something glamorous, this is not the car for you. It doesn't stand out and has been accused of being a "granny" car, although I personally think it's super cute!

Wish it would last forever...
By ToyotaYes

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 14,000 miles on it in 1997. I have never had any major problems with this car. It has always been reliable. I am just sad now that I have over 171,000 miles that it is finally going to cost me more to fix than the car is worth. I tell you I am tempted to get it fixed anyway. I LOVED driving this car all these years and my next car will certainly be a Toyota. I wish it could keep going for another 171,000 miles.