1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Good over all car
By Michael on 02/11/09 19:30 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 176000 miles on it and the previous owner was an old lady and drove it with the axle almost broken so it messed up the transmission so I had it replaced. Other than that, the car runs and handles well and now it has 190,000 miles on it and the engine still does not burn oil and no leaks. Of course I have to do the regular maintenance. It's a really great car for starters and specially now the gas price is going up again.

"The People's Car" of the '90s
By FanOfDr.Saito on 12/29/08 12:16 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

This has been a wonderful car to own & maintain; my wife bought it new when she was in college, and I got it after we married. It's "the little import that could"; I have over 160K mi. on it, have used it 'in ways the designers never intended' (truck, off-road vehicle, long-range transport), and it *just keeps running*. I am able to squeeze 36 MPG combined with thrifty road habits. The body has its scars from the parking lot and highway rubble, but I don't abuse the drivetrain or suspension, and give fluids as recommended. I love this little guy; he's a loyal, modest and well-mannered steed. I will likely drive this car until it is killed in a wreck/earthquake (CA resident, of course).

Wish it would last forever...
By ToyotaYes on 10/18/08 07:14 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 14,000 miles on it in 1997. I have never had any major problems with this car. It has always been reliable. I am just sad now that I have over 171,000 miles that it is finally going to cost me more to fix than the car is worth. I tell you I am tempted to get it fixed anyway. I LOVED driving this car all these years and my next car will certainly be a Toyota. I wish it could keep going for another 171,000 miles.

Great Reliable Car!
By Jessie on 06/10/08 15:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car! I bought the car from my parents right out of high school. The car has been very reliable and gets great fuel mileage. This car has handled well on dirt roads and in town. For the most part I have only done the basic maintenance on the car: tires, oil changes, brakes. For the car having 230,000 miles on it, it has done really well. The only problems I have had are the lights for the air adjustment don't come on consistently and the rear struts just went out on it. I have been very happy with this car and am looking into other Toyota models to replace it.

My Little Toyota
By Brobolt44 on 04/03/08 12:45 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Toyota Corolla is the best car I have ever owned. Front to back, inside and out, I just love everything about it. Toyota sure knew what they were doing when they made this car. They equipped it with the convenience of keyless remote entry, an alarm system, and anti theft system. The highly efficient 4 cylinder is almost self-maintained, and if necessary, very easily repaired. There's plenty of room inside for the passengers to ride comfortably, large enough trunk space for regular cargo storage. It handles so well, it seems to just float down the highway. This car has no problems holding it's own out on the road. And at 40 miles per gallon, who would ever want to drive anything else?

Sold
By sold on 09/11/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

No repairs and always starts to 180000+ miles. Still getting 32 miles to gallon.

Incredibly Reliable, Cheap to Own
By ayersdj on 08/02/06 18:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Bought this from the second owner 6 years ago. 5 speed stick with A/C. Now have 143,000 miles on it. Has never broken down on us. Other than a suspension job at 141,000 and a new a/c compressor at 143,000, never anything but standard maintenance. Northern car, bad winters but no rust. Last week, got 45 mpg on a 300 mile drive, with the a/c on. Not a fast or fancy car, dies on steep hills, not much pep for passing. But a great car if you want something reliable that is cheap to drive and won't leave you waiting for a tow. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Best investment ever
By Kelly on 06/26/06 13:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with only 17,000 miles on it and drove it into the ground with 180,000. The only thing I replaced outside of nomral oil changes, brake discs and tires was the radiator and that was at the very end of the life of this car. I t got amazing gas mileage and it zipped in and out of traffic. It does not have a lot of get up and go, and it is a very basic design but this is a great starter car for a new driver!!

Will it last forever?
By duster497 on 05/27/06 18:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I was looking for a cheap, used and reliable car. I found this 1996 Toyota Corolla DX. It's dark green w/tan interior & a spoiler. It's a 5 spd manual, PW/PL/P mirrors, cruise, A/C. Everything works on this car, even the A/c. It has 158,800 miles on it, but it runs like it has 58,000 on it. It's fun to drive, easy to drive and easy to park. A little light at higher speeds, but not bad. Rides ok, a bit rough on bumps. I'm averaging 30 MPG around town, a wee bit of highway and A/C use. If you can find a used Corolla in good shape, don't hesitate to buy it!

Want Another
By Unkel on 04/04/06 09:02 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Wagon

They should still make Corolla wagons. I'd get another. Ten years, 212000 miles, the only problem is oil burning - I just use thicker viscosity. I've done only minor repairs from wear and tear. Original clutch and exhaust - amazing considering winter driving. The reliability, efficiency, and practicality of this car should be emulated. I average 42 mpg summer, 34 mpg winter, overall 38 mpg. I don't baby this car - I don't slow down for speed bumps, I use it like a pick-up (firewood, cement, loam, etc.), I carry people, luggage, doors, trees from the nursery... I fear this one is irreplaceable. Toyota should return to making the Corolla wagon. Try it as a hybrid, or at least with very low emissions. For now, if I had to replace this, it'd be with a Focus.