Used 1996 Toyota Corolla DX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla Wagon - Consumer Reviews

DX 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (2 reviews )

Want Another
By Unkel

1996 Toyota Corolla Wagon DX 4dr Wagon

They should still make Corolla wagons. I'd get another. Ten years, 212000 miles, the only problem is oil burning - I just use thicker viscosity. I've done only minor repairs from wear and tear. Original clutch and exhaust - amazing considering winter driving. The reliability, efficiency, and practicality of this car should be emulated. I average 42 mpg summer, 34 mpg winter, overall 38 mpg. I don't baby this car - I don't slow down for speed bumps, I use it like a pick-up (firewood, cement, loam, etc.), I carry people, luggage, doors, trees from the nursery... I fear this one is irreplaceable. Toyota should return to making the Corolla wagon. Try it as a hybrid, or at least with very low emissions. For now, if I had to replace this, it'd be with a Focus.

As above - reliability, practicality - and at this stage, it's almost free to own.

Best Little Wagon
By LongTermHappyOwner

1996 Toyota Corolla Wagon DX 4dr Wagon

had this reliable and peppy wagon for ten years; no major defects or problems; easy to park; good visibility; good loading capacity; good leg room in back; upholstery wears well; std stereo mediocre; gas mileage appx 26-28 city; 28-30 freeway; would have bought another but don't make anymore; driver's seat and headrest are comfortable for my neck and frame (5'6").

Not a fancy car; just A - B; but like visibility; backing up is easy; easy to maneuver; tight turning radius; great handling with right tires; pickup ability is underestimated by other vehicles on road

Never felt the car needed improvement