Used 1996 Toyota Corolla Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

DX 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (2 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Best Little Wagon
By LongTermHappyOwner

1996 Toyota Corolla Wagon DX 4dr Wagon

had this reliable and peppy wagon for ten years; no major defects or problems; easy to park; good visibility; good loading capacity; good leg room in back; upholstery wears well; std stereo mediocre; gas mileage appx 26-28 city; 28-30 freeway; would have bought another but don't make anymore; driver's seat and headrest are comfortable for my neck and frame (5'6").

Favorite Features

Not a fancy car; just A - B; but like visibility; backing up is easy; easy to maneuver; tight turning radius; great handling with right tires; pickup ability is underestimated by other vehicles on road

Suggested Improvements

Never felt the car needed improvement

Want Another
By Unkel

1996 Toyota Corolla Wagon DX 4dr Wagon

They should still make Corolla wagons. I'd get another. Ten years, 212000 miles, the only problem is oil burning - I just use thicker viscosity. I've done only minor repairs from wear and tear. Original clutch and exhaust - amazing considering winter driving. The reliability, efficiency, and practicality of this car should be emulated. I average 42 mpg summer, 34 mpg winter, overall 38 mpg. I don't baby this car - I don't slow down for speed bumps, I use it like a pick-up (firewood, cement, loam, etc.), I carry people, luggage, doors, trees from the nursery... I fear this one is irreplaceable. Toyota should return to making the Corolla wagon. Try it as a hybrid, or at least with very low emissions. For now, if I had to replace this, it'd be with a Focus.

Favorite Features

As above - reliability, practicality - and at this stage, it's almost free to own.