1996 Toyota Corolla Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1996 Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sort Reviews by

A good reliable car
By Dan

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle off the lot brand new, never had any major problems just regular maintenance and general upkeep changed a few batteries, timing belt after 100K and struts on the 150k mark it needed it. When it was paid off I just used the money I saved over a year and spruced up the engine. This car has become my favorite and of course well cared for still classy (did I mention Paid for). I started sprucing it up now everyone wants to buy it - sorry no sale here. I tricked it now it's completely mine. Have to thank TRD Japan for its good supplies in the Asian Market for this vehicle. USA did not supply the 93 to 96 corollas well... stylish gas saver and good ole lil' car

Favorite Features

I placed most comfort features myself by upgrading the dashboard dvd, mp3, gps and all in dash very nice. I even have massaging seats.

Suggested Improvements

everything I did to it... make it a Corolla Altis...

A Great Car
By M. Lynn

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been looking to buy a new car for some time now but nothing shows the reliability that the 1996 corolla does. My car has almost 170,000 miles on it and it has never broken down. Have replaced brakes and tires from wear and tear but that is it. I don't even change the oil as often as I probably should but the car is a champ. Pick-up isn't the best and it's very loud (vibrations/rattles/outside noise). No special features, no power options. But in the end probably the best 3000 dollars spent. Plan on driving it until it can't drive any longer.

Favorite Features

The reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Over the past 13 years I'm sure Toyota has covered it.

"The People's Car" of the '90s
By FanOfDr.Saito

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has been a wonderful car to own & maintain; my wife bought it new when she was in college, and I got it after we married. It's "the little import that could"; I have over 160K mi. on it, have used it 'in ways the designers never intended' (truck, off-road vehicle, long-range transport), and it *just keeps running*. I am able to squeeze 36 MPG combined with thrifty road habits. The body has its scars from the parking lot and highway rubble, but I don't abuse the drivetrain or suspension, and give fluids as recommended. I love this little guy; he's a loyal, modest and well-mannered steed. I will likely drive this car until it is killed in a wreck/earthquake (CA resident, of course).

Favorite Features

MPG and maintenance costs that makes SUVs and trucks weep tears of injustice and envy. Runs and runs and runs; fairly smooth engine and ride considering its petite size.

Suggested Improvements

None; this car has already exceeded my expectations in longevity and service. NOTE: The rankings are assuming compared to all cars, not "others of its class"; if so, should add one point to all "Ride/Drive" items.

Sold
By sold

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

No repairs and always starts to 180000+ miles. Still getting 32 miles to gallon.

Suggested Improvements

seat backs are uncomfortable.

Incredibly Reliable, Cheap to Own
By ayersdj

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this from the second owner 6 years ago. 5 speed stick with A/C. Now have 143,000 miles on it. Has never broken down on us. Other than a suspension job at 141,000 and a new a/c compressor at 143,000, never anything but standard maintenance. Northern car, bad winters but no rust. Last week, got 45 mpg on a 300 mile drive, with the a/c on. Not a fast or fancy car, dies on steep hills, not much pep for passing. But a great car if you want something reliable that is cheap to drive and won't leave you waiting for a tow. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Sound engine that uses little gas. 5 speed stick.

Suggested Improvements

Better way to secure driver floor mat. DX engine would have given better performance passing and getting up hills with a car loaded with passengers and cargo.

Best investment ever
By Kelly

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with only 17,000 miles on it and drove it into the ground with 180,000. The only thing I replaced outside of nomral oil changes, brake discs and tires was the radiator and that was at the very end of the life of this car. I t got amazing gas mileage and it zipped in and out of traffic. It does not have a lot of get up and go, and it is a very basic design but this is a great starter car for a new driver!!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Great Car
By Great reliability

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my parents at the start of my freshman year of college (August 2001,it had 47,000). Right now I am a senior and about to graduate in May 05(mileage is 97,100). I have been driving back and forth to college (60 miles round trip) every year except my sophmore year. So far the car has been reliable. It has great fuel economy. The maintanence that I had to do on it was oil changes, tires and brakes.The starter did go out when it was it my parents car and it had only 42,000. I also have a wind noise especially during the summer or rain, but it does not affect anything. I reccomend this car to somebody that looks to save on gas and for something reliable but not expensive.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, reliability so far (excluding the starter), a/c

Suggested Improvements

More power, more room in the back, quieter ride on the highways.

7 years, 200,000+ kms, <$1000 in repairs
By Chriso

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 7 years and over 200,000 kms. In all that time i had to replace a clutch, a waterpump, and the front exhaust pipe for a total of under $1000 in unscehduled maintence which in way better than any other car I have had or know of. I had this car since my early 20's and drove it very hard the first few years, never broke a thing. Car still gets close to 40 mpg on the highway. The 5-speed gives the car a lot more umph especially off the line and highway passing. I will drive this car until it dies which at the rate it has been going so far will be years down the road. Best investment i have ever made.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive with a 5-speed, amazing gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More power wouldn't hurt, suspension is kinda soft and floaty.

Too hyped. Very uncomfortable vehicle
By Prez Max

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is actually my wife's car, but as a 6'2" person, this car is horible for comfort. The door jam is small compared to similar cars. The vehicle is very underpowered and gets lousy gas milage at that!

Favorite Features

It's fairly dependable. Not as much as my Ford Ranger, but more so than my 1990 SHO.

Suggested Improvements

Size, engine, 'fun to drive' The vehicle just feels cheaply made. Besides the normal stuff that breaks, it's silly when things like the rubber around the doors must be replaced so frequently.

Not cool but wouldnt give it up
By polskibear5

1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just had a chance to replace my little yota with a 2004 nissan altima and I said no. This is the best car in the world, even if it lacks power and looks. Its reliable, and really efficient. All that a collage student really needs.

Favorite Features

Mileage and efficiency, low insurance rate, roomy,

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER!!!!! out of a 1.8 you should be able to bring out way more horse power than 105. More standard features