Used 1996 Toyota Corolla Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

A good reliable car
By Dan

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle off the lot brand new, never had any major problems just regular maintenance and general upkeep changed a few batteries, timing belt after 100K and struts on the 150k mark it needed it. When it was paid off I just used the money I saved over a year and spruced up the engine. This car has become my favorite and of course well cared for still classy (did I mention Paid for). I started sprucing it up now everyone wants to buy it - sorry no sale here. I tricked it now it's completely mine. Have to thank TRD Japan for its good supplies in the Asian Market for this vehicle. USA did not supply the 93 to 96 corollas well... stylish gas saver and good ole lil' car

Favorite Features

I placed most comfort features myself by upgrading the dashboard dvd, mp3, gps and all in dash very nice. I even have massaging seats.

Suggested Improvements

everything I did to it... make it a Corolla Altis...

A Great Car
By M. Lynn

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I have been looking to buy a new car for some time now but nothing shows the reliability that the 1996 corolla does. My car has almost 170,000 miles on it and it has never broken down. Have replaced brakes and tires from wear and tear but that is it. I don't even change the oil as often as I probably should but the car is a champ. Pick-up isn't the best and it's very loud (vibrations/rattles/outside noise). No special features, no power options. But in the end probably the best 3000 dollars spent. Plan on driving it until it can't drive any longer.

Favorite Features

The reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Over the past 13 years I'm sure Toyota has covered it.

"The People's Car" of the '90s
By FanOfDr.Saito

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

This has been a wonderful car to own & maintain; my wife bought it new when she was in college, and I got it after we married. It's "the little import that could"; I have over 160K mi. on it, have used it 'in ways the designers never intended' (truck, off-road vehicle, long-range transport), and it *just keeps running*. I am able to squeeze 36 MPG combined with thrifty road habits. The body has its scars from the parking lot and highway rubble, but I don't abuse the drivetrain or suspension, and give fluids as recommended. I love this little guy; he's a loyal, modest and well-mannered steed. I will likely drive this car until it is killed in a wreck/earthquake (CA resident, of course).

Favorite Features

MPG and maintenance costs that makes SUVs and trucks weep tears of injustice and envy. Runs and runs and runs; fairly smooth engine and ride considering its petite size.

Suggested Improvements

None; this car has already exceeded my expectations in longevity and service. NOTE: The rankings are assuming compared to all cars, not "others of its class"; if so, should add one point to all "Ride/Drive" items.

Sold
By sold

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

No repairs and always starts to 180000+ miles. Still getting 32 miles to gallon.

Suggested Improvements

seat backs are uncomfortable.

Incredibly Reliable, Cheap to Own
By ayersdj

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Bought this from the second owner 6 years ago. 5 speed stick with A/C. Now have 143,000 miles on it. Has never broken down on us. Other than a suspension job at 141,000 and a new a/c compressor at 143,000, never anything but standard maintenance. Northern car, bad winters but no rust. Last week, got 45 mpg on a 300 mile drive, with the a/c on. Not a fast or fancy car, dies on steep hills, not much pep for passing. But a great car if you want something reliable that is cheap to drive and won't leave you waiting for a tow. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Sound engine that uses little gas. 5 speed stick.

Suggested Improvements

Better way to secure driver floor mat. DX engine would have given better performance passing and getting up hills with a car loaded with passengers and cargo.