1996 Toyota Corolla Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1996 Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sort Reviews by

One great little car.
By jadejaz

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my '96 Corolla in May of 2012 from a Porsche dealership. It was used with 106k miles on it, and I probably overpaid for it at $4k. I haven't put more than 5k miles on it since my purchase, but it has been a great car to me! I never worry about it not starting and it has never had any major problems - all I've really put into it is routine maintenance. For a car that is nearing twenty years old, it's got surprisingly good gas mileage. I get 30 hw and 25 city, give or take. My car is also an automatic, which would explain the mpg being a little lower than that of the standard manual models. Being a college student, it's cheap to maintain and perfect for me.

Favorite Features

I love that it's so tiny! This car can fit anywhere. The A/C blow ice cold and there is a surprising amount of room in the backseat and trunk for a car this size. Everything is well-positioned and simple - it's not super fancy and every button has a purpose to me. This car is basic. It gives you what you need to get from point A to point B. That's what I wanted and it's what I got.

Suggested Improvements

I would love cruise control - although that's probably just an issue with my particular car. It's also pretty low to the ground, so if you're a tall person some find it cramped. I'm 5'8" and fit in it comfortably, but my 5'7" mother hates it. It doesn't speed up very fast either... but since I'm no speeder, this is fine for me. If you want something glamorous, this is not the car for you. It doesn't stand out and has been accused of being a "granny" car, although I personally think it's super cute!

BUY IT!!!
By lukebecker

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

This is the second one I owned and I must say I love them. 100% reliable. Always starts. Almost 200K on it and still purrrs like a kitten. Nice speed out of them too. I would tell anyone that if the price is right go for it. I had the one before and it lasted 250K until I let someone use it. Clutch was gone when they came back. Didn't think it was worth the fix.

Favorite Features

everything....

Suggested Improvements

A little uncomfortable for me (5'11") but all in all good.

Practical
By livingliberty

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 100,000 miles and put another 20,000 on myself until I wrecked it this year. This was a car that I could always count on to start. Mechanically, it had very few problems. The struts went out, the interior door handles broke, the radio never worked and the fasteners for the bumper guard came apart so if you drove at high speeds the bumper guard would sometimes come loose. Overall I would reccomend these cars as a good A to B vehicle, but in the future I will never own one again if I can afford something nicer. It was never a joy to drive, handled poorly, no pick-up on acceleration and starts vibrating pretty bad around 70 mph.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality parts where plastic was used, better stereo, better acceleration

Best Car Ever
By Splendor

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I sold my 96 Toyota a week ago & already miss that car. It was very dependable and I even drove it to AZ and back. In the 11 years I had it I only had two problems. One was electrical wiring & the other was my gas tank was punctured. I prob. hit something but once these repairs were made it was back to its dependable self. I wish I still had this car and when I placed an ad selling it I had numerous calls & sold it within 4 hours for 200 less than asking price. If you need a reliable car this is it! Don't hesitate to buy. I have a big family now & it was no longer practical but I sure wish I could've kept it.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, small enough to park anywhere and easy to maneuver and handle.

Suggested Improvements

Leather, cd player

Best car i ever owned!
By Jose B

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 36,000 miles on it in 1999.It now has 182,000 and still in great shape. Never changed the timing chain or transmission oil. Car was always reliable and never left me stranded anywhere. By far the best car i ever owned.

Favorite Features

Very peppie. Front wheel drive. Always started in the coldest weather.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Basic Meh! Transportation
By Mon Bazou

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

A great but noisy commuting car with no style, requiring rustproofing and following a maintenance schedule to ensure its advertised reliability, particularly in snowy and salty climates. Mine came with a 1.6 liter engine and 3-speed slushy automatic with lockup that engages only at 48 mph. Merging onto highways a major challenge. Engine dies with a full load of friends going up steep hills and struggles when passing on the highway. Fuel economy is disappointing due to lack of gear ratios and overdrive. At more than 60 mph the engine runs hard and quickly eats up gas. Most efficient running at 50 to 55 mph. The aging shocks (especially rear shocks) were nice and soft before they broke.

Favorite Features

The car's paint and body does not rust easily even in salty, wet and snowy weather, but I recommend rustproofing anyways. Excellent as a winter beater. Great feature is its ugly looks since few people would want to steal it and there is no hurt feelings if the car gets damaged or destroyed.

Suggested Improvements

Body panels is very durable and rust-resistant, but vital mechanical components needed more corrosion protection. Needs more durable rear shocks, gas tank (mine fell out), brakes and tougher bumpers. Car needs to be more user serviceable and easier to repair. Bigger DX-trim engine would help too.

My favorite car ever
By looking4car

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I have never had luck with cars, so when I have purchased this car from a friend I thought as long as it gets me through a year. But this has turned out to be my favorite car I have ever owned, and there have been many. The mileage is great, and I haven't had any major problems. I would say that cruise control would have been nice in this car but not necessary. I would buy another car like this if I could find one.

Favorite Features

That it's 5 speed, The interior, Radio.

Suggested Improvements

cruise control

A good reliable car
By Dan

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle off the lot brand new, never had any major problems just regular maintenance and general upkeep changed a few batteries, timing belt after 100K and struts on the 150k mark it needed it. When it was paid off I just used the money I saved over a year and spruced up the engine. This car has become my favorite and of course well cared for still classy (did I mention Paid for). I started sprucing it up now everyone wants to buy it - sorry no sale here. I tricked it now it's completely mine. Have to thank TRD Japan for its good supplies in the Asian Market for this vehicle. USA did not supply the 93 to 96 corollas well... stylish gas saver and good ole lil' car

Favorite Features

I placed most comfort features myself by upgrading the dashboard dvd, mp3, gps and all in dash very nice. I even have massaging seats.

Suggested Improvements

everything I did to it... make it a Corolla Altis...

A Great Car
By M. Lynn

1996 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I have been looking to buy a new car for some time now but nothing shows the reliability that the 1996 corolla does. My car has almost 170,000 miles on it and it has never broken down. Have replaced brakes and tires from wear and tear but that is it. I don't even change the oil as often as I probably should but the car is a champ. Pick-up isn't the best and it's very loud (vibrations/rattles/outside noise). No special features, no power options. But in the end probably the best 3000 dollars spent. Plan on driving it until it can't drive any longer.

Favorite Features

The reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Over the past 13 years I'm sure Toyota has covered it.

The best little car available
By Jason

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my corolla over 2 years ago from my mom, she had it for 8 years herself. She never had one problem with it and neither have I. Just replaced the timing belt and that's it besides normal maintenance!! It feels like a 5 year old car with 50,000 yet it has 180,000 and is now 13. If you're looking for reliability this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

it doesn't break... ever

Suggested Improvements

make them again