Used 1995 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Good all around car.
By gps_junky

1995 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Great car. Sad to see it go down the road. But my clutch has slipped away. Not the most comfortable car for a 6 foot male. My knee was always rubbing the middle radio area, or cup holder thing. I think they could have made it a tad bigger. Good gas mileage all in all. Had over 230,000 miles on it and still seemed to be good on gas. My back seat back rest seemed to come loose over time. Not sure what that's all about. You can still sit in it and its still safe, just couldn't figure out how to put it back on.

Did seem to get up and go even with so many miles. (Don't tell anyone), but I had it at 110 mph even with over 225,000 miles on it. Still purrrrs like a kitten and starts up every time.

Improvements? Easier to find replacement parts. Even tho it never seems to need them.

Two generations could not kill it
By Beppie

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I loved this little car! It was reliable even when I gave it to my children. It seemed to even like abuse. The only problems were in the electrical hardware. The car went through alternators every 60K and a starter every 40K. Could be driving habits. At this time, it has 400K and still goes. I have a Honda now, but my next car will be a Corolla again

Mileage, easy to drive.

The alternator and starter were problems.The interior was noisy on the highway. The interior fogged quickly, too. All this has been corrected in the recent models.

The Little Tank
By BTD

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I just inherited this car from my Mom yesterday, but I've driven it a lot over the years. She's owned it since '95 and drives 56 mi. round trip to work 5 days a wk. It has NEVER had to go to the shop for anything other than ordinary maintenance. If you take care of this car, it will take care of you. Yes, it has a few insignificant rattles, but it has 178,000 miles on it. Obviously, I rated it low in the "fun to drive" & "performance" categories because it's a 1.8 L 4-cyl car. No excitement behind this wheel, but w/ gas prices what they are + the incredible reliability, I'll take the tradeoff. The car is easy to drive (and park) though, and isn't slow to the point that it's annoying.

Reliability. Good on gas.

Obviously, more pep would be nice, but hey..it's a '95 4 cylinder. The only other minor gripes I would have are the 3-speed windshield wipers (one more speed would be nice) and the heater/AC controls could be a little simpler. Very insignificant stuff.

Disappointing change
By Ellen

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I have now owned several Toyota Corollas with this being my fifth. I purchased this 1995 model from my mother in law in 2001 when it only had about 10,000 km. Previously my Corollas were 5 speed so this is my first automatic. I was pleased with the car for the first couple of years but I've just recently had a large transmission job completed due to leaking seals. My mechanic told me this has been common to this year and model and I'm very disappointed that Toyota did not recall these vehicles and pay to have the transmissions fixed. I am also very annoyed at ongoing engine noise which occurs upon acceleration. The soft idle turns to a tank sound.

Publish suggestions to reduce engine noise. My other Toyotas were not noisy like this car.

I love this car
By klbvxf

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I love love love this car. Bought it used with 113k on it and after 2 years she's at 143k. Gets 32 mpg combined. In 2 years the only thing I've had to do is replace the tires and get the oil changed. It has been going through a lot of brake fluid lately due to a small leak, but nothing worth worrying about. The trunk is huge and I love the fold down back seat. Mine does vibrate a lot at higher speeds and when you first start it, but not enough to be a problem. I thank this car on a regular basis for being so good to me.

Huge trunk, super reliable, great gas mileage!

Better quality speakers, cupholders in a better spot and made bigger (the current ones do not hold most bottles and have trouble with large sized cups). Other than that I love it!