Used 1995 Toyota Corolla DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most reliable car ever owned
By jshepherd9417

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

This car is very reliable. bought the car in 04 with 80k miles on it from an older woman who kept great care of it. Now in 2012, it has 175k miles and the only thing replaced on it was a starter and a clutch. Got the car when i was 16 and is a great starter car for a teen because it is great on gas and will last for a really long time. The only thing bad about it is the rear leg room is awful. Not the best car on space, but would definitely recommend a corolla to anyone interested. Really nice car!

Fantastic Car
By dan

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

My family has owned our 1995 corolla since it was brand new. It was passed on to me and my brother when we were 18 or so, and the car has never had any significant problems. The 7AFE engine is bulletproof. 250,000 miles on this thing and it is still running perfectly.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, classic looks

Suggested Improvements

Problems with driver side power window, lack of ABS

Two generations could not kill it
By Beppie

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I loved this little car! It was reliable even when I gave it to my children. It seemed to even like abuse. The only problems were in the electrical hardware. The car went through alternators every 60K and a starter every 40K. Could be driving habits. At this time, it has 400K and still goes. I have a Honda now, but my next car will be a Corolla again

Favorite Features

Mileage, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The alternator and starter were problems.The interior was noisy on the highway. The interior fogged quickly, too. All this has been corrected in the recent models.

The Little Tank
By BTD

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I just inherited this car from my Mom yesterday, but I've driven it a lot over the years. She's owned it since '95 and drives 56 mi. round trip to work 5 days a wk. It has NEVER had to go to the shop for anything other than ordinary maintenance. If you take care of this car, it will take care of you. Yes, it has a few insignificant rattles, but it has 178,000 miles on it. Obviously, I rated it low in the "fun to drive" & "performance" categories because it's a 1.8 L 4-cyl car. No excitement behind this wheel, but w/ gas prices what they are + the incredible reliability, I'll take the tradeoff. The car is easy to drive (and park) though, and isn't slow to the point that it's annoying.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, more pep would be nice, but hey..it's a '95 4 cylinder. The only other minor gripes I would have are the 3-speed windshield wipers (one more speed would be nice) and the heater/AC controls could be a little simpler. Very insignificant stuff.

Disappointing change
By Ellen

1995 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I have now owned several Toyota Corollas with this being my fifth. I purchased this 1995 model from my mother in law in 2001 when it only had about 10,000 km. Previously my Corollas were 5 speed so this is my first automatic. I was pleased with the car for the first couple of years but I've just recently had a large transmission job completed due to leaking seals. My mechanic told me this has been common to this year and model and I'm very disappointed that Toyota did not recall these vehicles and pay to have the transmissions fixed. I am also very annoyed at ongoing engine noise which occurs upon acceleration. The soft idle turns to a tank sound.

Suggested Improvements

Publish suggestions to reduce engine noise. My other Toyotas were not noisy like this car.