Wagon: Excellent Reliability, Good MPG
By Bela on
1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Wagon
I bought this car new in 1993 for about $12k. I now have 192,000 miles on it. Incredibly reliable - never a break down! I have had the brakes done, the blinker switch replaced, and that's about it for repairs. I have hauled bark mulch, gravel, garbage cans, 5 people and their huge backpacks, and my bike (separate events, of course), all with ease! When I get that much weight in it, though, it does dog down a bit. But on the freeway with just me and my stuff, it jams and runs up hills with more power than most cars out there, surprisingly. It does well on snow & ice - very stable. I have cable chains for it and can go just about anywhere in winter weather.
Favorite Features
I am still getting 39 mpg on the freeway! I get about 35 mpg in town. I love all the cargo space - with the back seats folded down, put my bike inside there too! The front wheel drive has taken me through snow & ice and even some roads that were meant for AWD.
Suggested Improvements
I am now using about a quart of oil for every other tank of gas, so I am going to have that checked out at the shop soon. But I really have no complaints about this workhorse vehicle.