1993 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Great first car, but a few issues
By Nicolle on 07/29/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

1993 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

First let me say that I owned this car for 4.5 years and cried when I traded it in. It was my first car, and was pretty much the perfect first car for a 16 year old. But. The starter went at about 75,000 miles. The axles needed to be replaced a few times because there was a weird vibration and 3 mechanics couldn't figure it out. It vibrated horribly above 50mph. HATED 80mph. Then something weird happened and the starter shorted out. Kept turning itself over like there was a ghost turning the key. FREAKY! Took 4 hours for the Toyota dealership to figure it out! This car was possessed, my brother-in-law is a mechanic and he was baffled by all the weird stuff that happened to Rita (her name).

Wagon: Excellent Reliability, Good MPG
By Bela on 06/14/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new in 1993 for about $12k. I now have 192,000 miles on it. Incredibly reliable - never a break down! I have had the brakes done, the blinker switch replaced, and that's about it for repairs. I have hauled bark mulch, gravel, garbage cans, 5 people and their huge backpacks, and my bike (separate events, of course), all with ease! When I get that much weight in it, though, it does dog down a bit. But on the freeway with just me and my stuff, it jams and runs up hills with more power than most cars out there, surprisingly. It does well on snow & ice - very stable. I have cable chains for it and can go just about anywhere in winter weather.

Former Chevylover
By wouldloveasienna on 04/22/09 06:09 AM (PDT)

1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 93,000 miles on it from the original owner in 2004. I have done regular maintenance on this vehicle and it has proven to be the BEST investment in a vehicle ever made! It survived a reverse jump! My friend had the cables on wrong :( The car now has 167,987 miles and the only "major" work done was a water pump replacement and a new motor for the wipers. As a former Chevy lover...Toyota has stolen my heart! With the addition of baby #5 we can't possibly fit in here any more but this car is staying in the family, my husband uses it for work!!!!

Best car ever built?
By averagjoe on 03/01/09 18:22 PM (PST)

1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new in 1993. It has been driven every day since. It only took 16 years for the check engine light to come on for the first time. Turned out to be a broken wire to the O2 sensor which I fixed for free. I have decided to buy a new Corolla every 20 years whether it's wore out or not.

I love my Corolla
By sarahsnowhite on 02/22/09 00:29 AM (PST)

1993 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I got this car as a gift from my uncle when I was 16. It had 55,000 miles and the one previous owner didn't seem to drive it much. I haven't had anything wrong with besides a few door handles and a seat belt. The tires did need to get replaced a few times, but I change the oil as much as possible. But for now my mileage today is 123,000, it's amazing to me how far I have come with that little car. It's got me everywhere in my life so far.

Reliable car
By MT Corolla owner on 12/14/08 15:00 PM (PST)

1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

We got this car new. It gets excellent fuel mileage, about 36 mpg on the highway. The automatic transmission is smooth enough, and the car has adequate power. The cloth on the seats is very tough, but the seats are very uncomfortable. I need to cross my legs to get the support I want. The interior is made of cheap plastics. Interior noise while driving is horrendous, and on the highway, you can not carry on conversation with rear seat passengers in a normal tone of voice. It has 153000 miles on it and has not had anything replaced but the brakes, about 4000 miles ago. There is also no passenger airbag, just one for the driver. Forget ABS, ESC, or any other safety features.

Levirolla 93 Corolla
By levirolla on 08/24/08 21:22 PM (PDT)

1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

BEST D&MN CAR EVER. Dad bought it 1993 as a demo car and it has been a part of the family since. Its taken all the abuse we could throw at it. MY dad had a lead foot and we never had any real issues with it. I took the car in 2003 after my dad passed and since then I've taken great care of it. It is on its second engine and transmission due to my father and my heavy foot though. To solve this problem I bought a Toyota Supra Turbo. The Corolla is my primary car and hasn't failed me once. It has alway gotten me home even with a spun bearing and a jacked up trans. They are strong little cars. Mine has 221k miles on it and still kicking.

My Rolla
By accord27 on 05/28/08 04:54 AM (PDT)

1993 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

We have had our 93 Toyota corolla about a month, and it's the best thing I have ever bought! It has 198,000 on it, and we paid $3,000 for it. It is in mint shape. I can only wish it had more power. But everything else is awesome! I was a Honda accord man, but now I like the corollas. In a year or so we will get another corolla (new) The car has never been painted, and it looks like the paint is brand new. I love my Rolla! Clean hot looking car!

93 corolla
By dreed on 12/12/06 20:13 PM (PST)

1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my toyota at 117000 miles. The driving quality is good but I have had lots of braking problems with this particular veichle. I had a full brake job done 1 month after i had bought it. Then the rear brakes were done in jan. The air conditioning stopped cooling this summer. In September I had the master cylinder replaced and the drivers side caliper needs replacement. The only thing that I had done to the engine is a valve cover gasket and a thermostat so that I would have heat in the winter.I have seen 24mpg's max and as low as 18mpg's. Regular matainence was inexpensive. Otherwise the car is excellent at 147500 miles.

Still going strong!
By auntielala on 03/20/06 10:01 AM (PST)

1993 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

My last review was dated 1/04. This car is still going... now at 322,000 miles. No major repairs besides the regular, oil changes, tires and brakes. Looking forward to hitting the 400,000 mile mark :)