Used 1992 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

It just keeps going, and going....
By ordboy61

1992 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 2yrs old and in mint condition. I've had it for 16 years with no plans to sell it nor any need to. When gas is low and it starts hesitating, just say the word "gasoline" and you get a few extra miles to get to a gas station ;-) It's THAT reliable!

I like that, when unlocking the driver's side door, a second twist of the key unlocks all 4 doors. Same is true when locking doors.

Maybe newer models already have this: Interior lights above rear view mirror instead of middle of roof. Better sound system. Stronger door handles.

Bob
By Jessica

1992 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I had one of these (named Bob!) for about 2 years. The complaints everyone else wrote about are true. The door handles are extremely fragile! I only had the drivers side one left by the time I traded it in. And the car does shake really bad once you get going really good which is somewhat unnerving. I had to replace all the belts in it, the water pump and the starter. But that was the only work I did to it and it had 140,000 miles on it. The only other thing was it started this thing of not wanting to start whenever it got below 10 degrees. Any other time it was fine! I traded it in before I could get to the bottom of that problem. Overall: fine car! With loads of personality!

Will go and go and go and go. It's kind of like that energizer bunny. My old car is still going. I see it on the roads sometimes!

Hardly any horsepower. Door handles prone to breaking off.

Dependable and Long Lasting
By Matt

1992 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

This car is a beast. Mine has 324,000 miles on it and still runs like a top. I've had to make two serious fixes - the clutch and exhaust manifold, but that's just wear and tear. Keep the tires inflated and the oil changed and you can get 40 mpg in the city on this thing. Under the hood is simple, the interior is comfortable - it's no lexus, but it works. The air conditioner stays cold and the rear defrost works like new, even after all these years. The only bad thing I can say is the handles break easy in the cold, but anything plastic will do that.

Awesome Car!
By Ben Patience

1992 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 when it was 11 years old. I must say that this car has absolutely served its purpose! For a 16 year old car with 149K on it, it's extremely reliable! The car averages 29-30 mpg in the city and 36-37 mpg on the highway. Only a few minor maintenance issues in the nearly six years I've owned it. Despite it's dated styling, considering its performance I simply can't justify the expense of replacing it with a new car. Mine is a wagon, and I wish Toyota would still offer new Corolla wagons in the US. Crossovers and SUV/s don't get the same mileage as plain old wagons. If you're looking for a reliable used car, definitely put the Corolla at the top of your list!

Cargo capacity. Fuel economy.

Toyota, forget about crossovers and SUVs, please offer ordinary fuel-efficient wagons!

Not sure to get rid of this car
By sal

1992 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 6 years ago with 90,000 miles and now have 180,000. I have heard people get 250,000 miles. Have replaced the starter and a small hose, not even the brakes yet.

gets 30 mpg around town and about 35 hwy