Used 1992 Toyota Corolla Deluxe Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Best Car Ever
By whipperin1

1992 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

Bought the Corolla with 160k miles. It now has 253k and runs and drives perfect. Only normal maintenance and replacement of radiator and starter. This car has taken me from sea to shiny sea many times and has never left me walking. I have never had a better car and I don't think they make a better car today. If I keep it under 50 mph it will get about 37 mpg. Who needs a hybrid?

Favorite Features

Reliability and cheap to operate.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing could improve this masterpiece of automotive art.

Great starter car for a broke kid
By corollafan1

1992 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

If you can find this car for around $1K or less, buy it. I'm now in the market for a new car but only because the body is starting to rust out, my trusty mechanic finally said "it's getting old," and I need to be able to rely on my car. And how many owners of 19 year old cars could even talk about reliability? It still runs beautifully and last year was the first year repairs topped $1K. So far this year I've only had the oil changed. It handles great, the interior has held up well except for the window cranks (replaced once, needing it again). It's not looking its best in its old age, but if I was the age of this car and handy with epoxy and paint I could make it look pretty good.

Favorite Features

Reliability, ownership costs, reliability.....

Suggested Improvements

Well, assuming they haven't fixed them yet, the interior door mechanisms (window cranks, door handles). The ones used most often only lasted about 15 years.

Not sure to get rid of this car
By sal

1992 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 6 years ago with 90,000 miles and now have 180,000. I have heard people get 250,000 miles. Have replaced the starter and a small hose, not even the brakes yet.

Favorite Features

gets 30 mpg around town and about 35 hwy

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Still Running Strong
By Tanya

1992 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 53,000 miles. It now has 247,000 and doesn't want to quit. Extremely reliable, great on gas. No major repairs, just maintenance. Always starts and runs well unless I forget to turn off the lights.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Good acceleration for a smaller, less powered car.

Suggested Improvements

Inside door handles not very sturdy. Sunroof prone to rust.

You cannot kill this car!
By Our Toy

1992 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

My husband and I bought our Toyota Corolla DX new in 1992. We still have it today, 15 years later. It has almost 190,000 miles now. We just love it! It is extremely reliable, in fact we have never been stranded in this car. It takes whatever you do to it, even inconsistency in maintenance. The body is rusting around the wheel wells, but the car runs like the day we bought it. We are looking to buy another Toyota since this car came out before air bags, and we think we should have them for safety. We bought this car when our daughter was in pre-school. She is now in college. It is a part of the family! We will hate to see it go, but hope we can find another Toyota just as good.

Favorite Features

Excellent reliability, very easy to drive, easy to park, especially on city streets, excellent on gas - only fill up once a week and goes forever on one tank. Most paid for one tank was $30 last week with price of $3.01 a gallon. For many years before gas crisis, $10 per week filled it up.

Suggested Improvements

Safety features - air bags and other things that have been added since 1992, at high speeds on highway, wind noise.