1992 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Old Faithful
By lilylemony on 08/23/13 15:17 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

This was my first car I bought used back in 2000 in Washington State. This car got me safely from WA to Southern California without a hitch in 1997, even loaded down with my every worldly possession! I drove this car for the 5 years I lived in SoCal, then very, very sadly had to part with it when I moved back to Canada. Instead of selling it, I donated it to the Goodwill and amazingly, I discovered it sold ABOVE its Blue Book value at auction! It helped to have an amazing mechanic, but this is also a totally solid little car. I'm sure it's still flying down the I-5 and cruising Santa Monica Boulevard as I type this. Miss you, little dude. *sniff*

Great starter car for a broke kid
By corollafan1 on 06/19/11 14:45 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Sedan

If you can find this car for around $1K or less, buy it. I'm now in the market for a new car but only because the body is starting to rust out, my trusty mechanic finally said "it's getting old," and I need to be able to rely on my car. And how many owners of 19 year old cars could even talk about reliability? It still runs beautifully and last year was the first year repairs topped $1K. So far this year I've only had the oil changed. It handles great, the interior has held up well except for the window cranks (replaced once, needing it again). It's not looking its best in its old age, but if I was the age of this car and handy with epoxy and paint I could make it look pretty good.

Super Car!
By JimmyH. on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2008 with only 58,000 original miles (lucky!). It was stored for years. I have reconditioned the car to almost new. It is very fun to drive and has lots of acceleration (better than you would expect!).It gets me 30 mpg on regular basis with combined driving.The interior looks new and has held up nicely. The seats are a bit hard and small but you get used to them. The layout of the interior is very simple and easy to navigate.I would recommend this corolla to anyone. The routine maintenance is very easy to perform. The parts are very inexpensive. It has 13"tires! They can be had for $32 a piece brand new! You can't beat these 88-92 corollas. This lil baby sings like a song.

Rosten rubber down the street!
By Rosten' Rubber on 08/27/10 05:31 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Overall I have no problems. I paid 200 bucks for my Toyota and she works like new.

It just keeps going, and going....
By ordboy61 on 03/15/10 13:06 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 2yrs old and in mint condition. I've had it for 16 years with no plans to sell it nor any need to. When gas is low and it starts hesitating, just say the word "gasoline" and you get a few extra miles to get to a gas station ;-) It's THAT reliable!

Bob
By Jessica on 07/03/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I had one of these (named Bob!) for about 2 years. The complaints everyone else wrote about are true. The door handles are extremely fragile! I only had the drivers side one left by the time I traded it in. And the car does shake really bad once you get going really good which is somewhat unnerving. I had to replace all the belts in it, the water pump and the starter. But that was the only work I did to it and it had 140,000 miles on it. The only other thing was it started this thing of not wanting to start whenever it got below 10 degrees. Any other time it was fine! I traded it in before I could get to the bottom of that problem. Overall: fine car! With loads of personality!

Dependable and Long Lasting
By Matt on 12/28/08 18:12 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

This car is a beast. Mine has 324,000 miles on it and still runs like a top. I've had to make two serious fixes - the clutch and exhaust manifold, but that's just wear and tear. Keep the tires inflated and the oil changed and you can get 40 mpg in the city on this thing. Under the hood is simple, the interior is comfortable - it's no lexus, but it works. The air conditioner stays cold and the rear defrost works like new, even after all these years. The only bad thing I can say is the handles break easy in the cold, but anything plastic will do that.

Awesome Car!
By Ben Patience on 12/05/08 21:16 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 when it was 11 years old. I must say that this car has absolutely served its purpose! For a 16 year old car with 149K on it, it's extremely reliable! The car averages 29-30 mpg in the city and 36-37 mpg on the highway. Only a few minor maintenance issues in the nearly six years I've owned it. Despite it's dated styling, considering its performance I simply can't justify the expense of replacing it with a new car. Mine is a wagon, and I wish Toyota would still offer new Corolla wagons in the US. Crossovers and SUV/s don't get the same mileage as plain old wagons. If you're looking for a reliable used car, definitely put the Corolla at the top of your list!

Not sure to get rid of this car
By sal on 09/30/08 17:28 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 6 years ago with 90,000 miles and now have 180,000. I have heard people get 250,000 miles. Have replaced the starter and a small hose, not even the brakes yet.

Still Running Strong
By Tanya on 05/03/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Corolla Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 53,000 miles. It now has 247,000 and doesn't want to quit. Extremely reliable, great on gas. No major repairs, just maintenance. Always starts and runs well unless I forget to turn off the lights.