Used 1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Reliable!!
By M3prodg

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

It's small and drives fast as well as too reliable for any wild abuse you throw at it. It just overcomes any obstacle like a dang beetle, it's what I call mine.

Favorite Features

You can run the car with $200/month as income!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing!

Best compact car of the 90's
By toyotafan

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Bought brand new I owned this car for seventeen years! It would have lasted longer in a garage. The engine never had a single problem. The body did rust through though.

Favorite Features

The radio was a great radio.

Suggested Improvements

A small bump in horsepower and a tachometer maybe a v-6 option.

Almost the worst car I have ever owned
By Nevermore

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two and a half years ago and have never been able to rely on it. Within a few months had starting problems. I can't tell you how many times that car left me stranded. Still I kept putting money in it thinking "Hey, it's a Toyota and they are supposed to run 'Forever." In that 2 1/2 years I have gone through 4 starters, 2 alternators, 3 batteries and I have had to replace the struts, brakes, tie rods, ball joints, axles, and the steering rack was going bad but didn't dare put another dime in the car. Then, again the car wouldn't start and it started smoking through the dash and then completely fried out the electrical system. Now it is scrap metal!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage (when it ran!) and easy to find parking because it was small.

Suggested Improvements

Don't know where to begin on that one.

I used to own a '91 Corolla 4dr sedan
By PatriciaLani

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November '94 and have had good luck with this car; except towards the end, it started smoking from the exhaust pipe and had to trade it in for a used '98 Saturn. I had the Corolla for almost seven years, but it sure got around well. I'd service it when it needed it, but towards the end, I noticed that I had put in more than $2000 worth of car repairs into it and because it was due to wear because of age. It was great on gas for a car that was automatic transmission; though, I wished it was manual, but it wasn't my choice because it was the only Toyota on the used car lot that had automatic transmission.

Favorite Features

The digital clock! The first car of my other few that actually had a clock!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Role Model
By Donald

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

These cars were made to be awesome in almost every aspect, with exceptions to the interior. Handling is smooth and responsive and pickup for a 110hp with 1587cc displacement engine definitely blows my mind. I love to drive it, this thing is still a kid inside. The only thing I can find that I don't enjoy necessarily is the soft suspension. I remember it being semi-stiff when we got it, but the years have softened it. Still, I can remember taking a few turns and bumping the bottom onto the road then and now, not speeding or anything. I think Toyota wanted it to be a secret sports car. It doesn't look anything like one, so maybe they've accomplished in that area.

Favorite Features

A/C still using orig. compressor, original parts still intact, no rust on paint at all, 195000 miles and still going like 17 years ago. No plan on leaving this car, even if the insurance goes up when I get a 350Z.

Suggested Improvements

Even though the engine is spunky, a little more power could have been thought about. Even if it sacrificed about 1-2 miles per gallon less, 20- 30hp extra would have made this car the best bang for the buck (still was though). Sluggish starts. Trans. only 3spd, so more wear. Had to rebuild my tranny.