1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1991 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

1991 Corolla Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Best $500 I've spent....
By cbp

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a little over a year ago for $500 and a starter. Had been sitting in my co workers driveway for quite some time so I got a great deal on it. This is the bare bones Toyota. Not even a cassette player only radio tuner in it. Popped that starter in and it runs like a champ. I change the oil on a frequent basis because I use it as delivery vehicle and to go out of town with on trips to the mountains and such. Couldn't have asked for a better car if I had tried. Gas mileage is great, ride is comfortable, turns on a dime, doesn't stop on a dime but then again I need to change brake pads. I suggest this car to anyone needing a cheap efficient car to get from a to b in.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage especially in town.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota's weren't designed for tall people. Being 6'2" my drivers seat is almost touching the backseat but I am still comfortable.

Great Choice for First Car
By AJV

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this as my first car over a year ago. Got me to/from school every day, to/from lunch as well, wherever I needed to go after. A little gutless on big hills but not bad. Only one problem, just this summer it would stall out or the engine would crank on startup every once in a while but I think all it needs is a tuneup. All in all, it is a great value, I love my car, even when it acts up, which really isn't all that often. Oh, and the gas door fell off. Don't know if that's common...currently being held on with duct tape because the screws for the hinge are stripped and stuck. No big problem.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, I prefer it, feel like I'm more engaged in driving. Great visibility to the rear and sides, not much of a blind spot at all. Gets up and goes almost every time, good acceleration, perky little car.

Suggested Improvements

None, really. The few problems I have are, I believe, as a direct result of being 18 yrs old with 175k miles.

Best Car
By Corolla Roller

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car with 250K miles on it in 2004. It now (2009) has 284K. This car has an engine that never dies. I have had to replace a couple of things but nothing major. It shows its age when accelerating, maintaining speeds over 65, and on moderately steep inclines, but it gets me where I need to go without worry. I get between 26-30mpg city.

Suggested Improvements

All models should have had scan on radio.

I used to own a '91 Corolla 4dr sedan
By PatriciaLani

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November '94 and have had good luck with this car; except towards the end, it started smoking from the exhaust pipe and had to trade it in for a used '98 Saturn. I had the Corolla for almost seven years, but it sure got around well. I'd service it when it needed it, but towards the end, I noticed that I had put in more than $2000 worth of car repairs into it and because it was due to wear because of age. It was great on gas for a car that was automatic transmission; though, I wished it was manual, but it wasn't my choice because it was the only Toyota on the used car lot that had automatic transmission.

Favorite Features

The digital clock! The first car of my other few that actually had a clock!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Role Model
By Donald

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

These cars were made to be awesome in almost every aspect, with exceptions to the interior. Handling is smooth and responsive and pickup for a 110hp with 1587cc displacement engine definitely blows my mind. I love to drive it, this thing is still a kid inside. The only thing I can find that I don't enjoy necessarily is the soft suspension. I remember it being semi-stiff when we got it, but the years have softened it. Still, I can remember taking a few turns and bumping the bottom onto the road then and now, not speeding or anything. I think Toyota wanted it to be a secret sports car. It doesn't look anything like one, so maybe they've accomplished in that area.

Favorite Features

A/C still using orig. compressor, original parts still intact, no rust on paint at all, 195000 miles and still going like 17 years ago. No plan on leaving this car, even if the insurance goes up when I get a 350Z.

Suggested Improvements

Even though the engine is spunky, a little more power could have been thought about. Even if it sacrificed about 1-2 miles per gallon less, 20- 30hp extra would have made this car the best bang for the buck (still was though). Sluggish starts. Trans. only 3spd, so more wear. Had to rebuild my tranny.

Can't Kill It
By Chris

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from a REAL old lady that only drove it to church and the grocery store! Had only 14,000 miles on it when it was almost 3 yrs old. Has been fun to drive, had no trouble dealing with a 27" snowstorm we had, handles wonderfully and have had to do NO mechanical work on it other than routine oil changes and tire replacements. Still has original battery! Real work horse of a car!

Favorite Features

Great gas milage. Always starts, always goes. Never have had to do any mechical work. Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

None really. A bigger back seat would be nice, but it's a compact car so it's understandable. Needs lumbar supports and power seats.

Good car to drive
By tylo

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is really a good car to drive. I drive it for one month and so far no problem with the engine and is very smooth for a 13 year old car.

Favorite Features

comfortable, reliable

Perfect starter car..
By Blindsoul233

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

My rolla is the best car i've ever owned,180,000 miles and still drives like the day it rolled off the showroom, Only regular maintenance done. Used Syntec oil though :). Smoked my friends 99 Sunfire, so its got the speed.

Favorite Features

Roomy trunk, Comfortable seats, Very easy stereo system install..GREAT HANDLING AND ACCELERATION

Suggested Improvements

Rubber around door frames is kinda cheap.. The back doors will barely close cuz the rubber is in the way.. but its also a 91..

Its OLD
By Sodapop

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I would have to say that my dad did an okay job but now the flaws are showing through. It has about 120K miles on it. When I stop the car the a loud rattling starts which I think comes from the drink holders. The door handles are pretty sucky, my two back doors refuse to shut without and nice slam, and my drivers side lock is jammed. And my tires hate any type of bad weather. The AC and heater are good. Sound system needs some work. As far as gas goes: I drive to and from school and work/the store every week and can go on a full tank from Monday-Fri. couldn't tell the miles, I never bother to look.

Favorite Features

My steering wheel cover? I don't care for the looks one bit. I would say rent a car or borrow a nice one if you want to make a big impression.

Suggested Improvements

Even though this is a famliy car hp would be nice and better handling on the highways at high speeds. The car sounds like its going to blow up sometimes. Better control in bad weather and when the weather gets cold.

Will not trade until it is totaled!
By alexmechanic

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

My dad bought the car used and after a few years of driving to and from work he gave it to me. The car has not seen an autoshop service writer or a tow- truck since we bought it. I replaced brakes on it, ehxaust, and did a small tune up but that is it. It keeps driving and driving. The fuel economy is great and the car actually has a decent pick up. I just love it.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is great. Summer is fun but in winter driving I even pass huge 4-wheel drive SUVs. You can't get a lower insurance rate with this cheap model.

Suggested Improvements

Rust! Doors and fenders are always the first to go.