1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Best $500 I've spent....
By cbp on 08/20/09 12:02 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a little over a year ago for $500 and a starter. Had been sitting in my co workers driveway for quite some time so I got a great deal on it. This is the bare bones Toyota. Not even a cassette player only radio tuner in it. Popped that starter in and it runs like a champ. I change the oil on a frequent basis because I use it as delivery vehicle and to go out of town with on trips to the mountains and such. Couldn't have asked for a better car if I had tried. Gas mileage is great, ride is comfortable, turns on a dime, doesn't stop on a dime but then again I need to change brake pads. I suggest this car to anyone needing a cheap efficient car to get from a to b in.

Great Choice for First Car
By AJV on 08/15/09 20:32 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this as my first car over a year ago. Got me to/from school every day, to/from lunch as well, wherever I needed to go after. A little gutless on big hills but not bad. Only one problem, just this summer it would stall out or the engine would crank on startup every once in a while but I think all it needs is a tuneup. All in all, it is a great value, I love my car, even when it acts up, which really isn't all that often. Oh, and the gas door fell off. Don't know if that's common...currently being held on with duct tape because the screws for the hinge are stripped and stuck. No big problem.

Very, Very Good Value
By Lorr on 07/18/09 01:55 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is so easy, effortless and fun. Outward visibility is excellent, seating position is perfect, steering effort is perfect, brake modulation is perfect, engine is willing, smooth, and virtually unbreakable...typical Toyota. On road, the car behaves safely and predictably. One caveat: regularly check the TRANSAXLE fluid level. Mine apparently leaked and seized on me. Other than that the car is tough and refined. Definitely a very good value for the money.

Never dies!
By jeninholland02 on 06/19/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

We bought a 91 Corolla after our 94 Saturn threw a rocker arm at my husband's head. We NEVER had any problems with this car. We sold it at 228,000 miles and last we heard it was still running. We sold it only because we needed more room for a car seat. The most reliable car I've EVER seen....EVER. This car has been through the Smokey Mountains, driven through a blizzard/ice storm, completely abused and it took every bit of it. As long as you do a tune up regularly, it'll keep running.

Best Car
By Corolla Roller on 06/11/09 16:42 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car with 250K miles on it in 2004. It now (2009) has 284K. This car has an engine that never dies. I have had to replace a couple of things but nothing major. It shows its age when accelerating, maintaining speeds over 65, and on moderately steep inclines, but it gets me where I need to go without worry. I get between 26-30mpg city.

Reliable!!
By M3prodg on 02/20/09 20:17 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

It's small and drives fast as well as too reliable for any wild abuse you throw at it. It just overcomes any obstacle like a dang beetle, it's what I call mine.

Best compact car of the 90's
By toyotafan on 02/19/09 23:01 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Bought brand new I owned this car for seventeen years! It would have lasted longer in a garage. The engine never had a single problem. The body did rust through though.

Almost the worst car I have ever owned
By Nevermore on 01/21/09 11:05 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought this car two and a half years ago and have never been able to rely on it. Within a few months had starting problems. I can't tell you how many times that car left me stranded. Still I kept putting money in it thinking "Hey, it's a Toyota and they are supposed to run 'Forever." In that 2 1/2 years I have gone through 4 starters, 2 alternators, 3 batteries and I have had to replace the struts, brakes, tie rods, ball joints, axles, and the steering rack was going bad but didn't dare put another dime in the car. Then, again the car wouldn't start and it started smoking through the dash and then completely fried out the electrical system. Now it is scrap metal!

I used to own a '91 Corolla 4dr sedan
By PatriciaLani on 12/28/08 21:26 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November '94 and have had good luck with this car; except towards the end, it started smoking from the exhaust pipe and had to trade it in for a used '98 Saturn. I had the Corolla for almost seven years, but it sure got around well. I'd service it when it needed it, but towards the end, I noticed that I had put in more than $2000 worth of car repairs into it and because it was due to wear because of age. It was great on gas for a car that was automatic transmission; though, I wished it was manual, but it wasn't my choice because it was the only Toyota on the used car lot that had automatic transmission.

Role Model
By Donald on 04/13/08 18:55 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

These cars were made to be awesome in almost every aspect, with exceptions to the interior. Handling is smooth and responsive and pickup for a 110hp with 1587cc displacement engine definitely blows my mind. I love to drive it, this thing is still a kid inside. The only thing I can find that I don't enjoy necessarily is the soft suspension. I remember it being semi-stiff when we got it, but the years have softened it. Still, I can remember taking a few turns and bumping the bottom onto the road then and now, not speeding or anything. I think Toyota wanted it to be a secret sports car. It doesn't look anything like one, so maybe they've accomplished in that area.