Used 1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Ol' Reliable - Will Run Forever!!!
By Ol' Reliable

1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned - it is now at 268,000 miles and still going strong. It has never broken down, although I have had to replace a few things on it - it just has never left me stranded. Although the automatic transmission robs a bit of the power, it consistently gets around 28-30 mpg in town and mid to high-30's on the road. I have serviced it regularly (3,000-mi oil changes, trans services, coolant flushes, brakes, etc.) and I plan on keeping it until it passes the 300,000-mile mark. I do my own servicing, and not everything is easy to do, but not impossible. Kudos, Toyota, to making such a high-quality vehicle!

Favorite Features

Excellent Reliability!! High quality interior, excellent fit- and-finish, great fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

5-speed manual transmission would be a better choice with only 1.6L and 101 horsepower.

Still Ticking!
By letigre

1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I bought my Gold DX in 1990 & it has 292,000 on it today (23MAY06). I just put new tires on it & plan to run the wheels off it (well past 300,000). It is worth very little to anyone else, but it has been the best car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Reliability!! Cheap on gas!

Suggested Improvements

None

Head Gasket
By Dramaqueen2820

1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I drove this car for a year and the head gasket blew. It was after we had the engine cleaned so it would pass inspection. It ended up having a cracked head, that had some carbon buildup in it. The radiator fluid ended up going through the head and out the exhaust. We put some head gasket block in it and it worked for a total of 2 weeks. We put a new radiator in it and then the problem resurfaced. Today i ended up driving it to the junk yard with a bunch of white smoke coming out of it. I ended up getting 50 bucks for it.

Favorite Features

The sunroof's rust holes that made rain come onto my head when it rained.

Suggested Improvements

Dont buy a car from Canada, and everything could be fixed!!!

Dependable/Economic/Nice Ride
By Danner

1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car when it was 2 years old. It had 6800 miles on it. Other than normal maintenance, oil, filter, grease, lube, brakes, tune up and timing belt it has been an economical dependable car to run. This vehicle has 158,000 miles on it now. Recently I had to replace the water pump and valve gaskets. It has never let me down. I had a 77 Corolla that I drove for 15 years with a total of 206,000 miles when I sold it for $600.

Favorite Features

Driving this car in winter conditions has been my pleasure. I fit it with studded snows on all fours. The drive is stable and secure in most every day winter conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for that.

old faithful
By To-Yoda

1990 Toyota Corolla Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought her off the street for $1000.I put $1400 worth of repairs,parts in her up front,,Ive put on 60000 miles since and all Ive replaced are the tires (once),and the speedometer cable.Shes got great pull uphill (Automatic),I live in mountains of Western North Carolina,

Favorite Features

My first car with a working A/C,and it STILL works.Front Wheel Drive is nice.Easy to Tune up,change oil.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I can think of,,Stereo System upgrade,limited room makes that tricky.