Never Toyota Again
By Never Toyota Again on
2004 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I have bought Toyota Celica 2004 GT in 2004. Not much but oil change for the first 2 years. After that the car becomes a money draining machine. Brake changes; Tire changes; Clutch changes; Now, Transmission change - burn out in the middle of no where after 5 years of driving (yes the transmission oil had been changed before). The car is reliable until the expiring mileage of 250000 km or 5 years. I guess Toyota has to make money and we have to buy a new car every five year to have reliable transportation means. Oh, forgot to mention that Check engine lights stay On and I still pass emission test in Ontario. The computer for emission in Celica is very tight.
Favorite Features
Body of the car and white color is beautiful to the eyes.
Suggested Improvements
Remove Check Engine Lights and widen emission tolerance; Make more reliable Transmission (many friends of mine have also experience Transmission burn-out like me).
By hexx
on 01/27/12 10:22 AM (PST)

Based on the fact that you're driving around with an engine light on, it sounds like you don't know how to properly care for a sports car, and maybe it was a bad decision for you to buy one in that case. When properly maintained, the Celica is more mechanically reliable than an Abrams tank. It's quite easy to find owners who have put 200,000 to 250,000 miles on the original engine and transmission with no major issues AT ALL. And for what it's worth, my 2004 GT-S breezes through emissions with no issues. I've owned it about a year and a half, and the only maintenance I've had to do is oil changes and 1 set of brake pads. Bottom line: your poorly-maintained car's mechanical issues are no indicator of Toyota quality, only of the quality of your own vehicle care. If you take care of these cars, they'll take care of you for a LONG time.