Used 2004 Toyota Celica GTS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Still has some kick to it
By iguana884

2004 Toyota Celica Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a used '04 GT-S looking for a more reliable car than my Bonneville (my first car). What I got was a car that shook while idling and threatened to shut off at traffic lights. After changing the black mass that was the air filter and cleaning the throttle, my GT-S got a new lease on life. I was first hesitant about revving to the redline (something I'd never do on the Bonneville), but after feeling the VVTL-i kick in, I was hooked. My favorite part of the day is warming up the car, easing onto the freeway ramp, dropping to second and gunning it to the speed limit. The little extra push at 6.5k always puts a smile on my face.

Favorite Features

The engine by far. Dear gods above, the engine. She's a sensitive one, but once you get the throttle down, she likes to run. And just when you think she's running out of steam, you get another extra kick. I guess it's Toyota's version of Vtec, which I think is a great idea for getting more performance out of an otherwise not so great engine. VVT-i is fun and all, but the little push at the end, the encouraging "go get 'em" is wonderful. I also enjoy the MASSIVE space I get when I fold down the seats. I could sleep there and I stand at 6'.

Suggested Improvements

The build quality. My front bumper is put together with spare bolts and zip ties. At one point I thought I got a flat. No. The mud guard fell off. Yes, it handles great, but I wish it didn't sound like metal on windy days. (The metal in the wheel well shakes sometimes).

Hail to the "Launch Ramp"...
By Azrael

2004 Toyota Celica Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I originally wanted an RSX, but, after the test drive, it left something to be desired. It wasn't fast enough. I noticed this car across the lot, and I was immediately drawn to it. This car is so fun to drive! I am averaging around 30 mpg mixed, and the cabin is uber quiet. Freeway on-ramps are now known to me and my family as "launch ramps". One of the only things I don't like about it is the spoiler. Who thought that putting the spoiler across the CENTER of the field of vision was a good idea?!

Favorite Features

The high-end torque!!! It feels like I'm jumping to warp when the tach reads above 5800. The exterior styling is not something you see everyday.

Suggested Improvements

First and foremost, the TRD spoiler (come on, right across the back window?). Second, the position of the cup holders in the Manual transmission model are too close to the gear lever. You can't shift without knocking your drink over. And you can forget about passengers in the rear seat.

Great car
By toyfan

2004 Toyota Celica Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Way better handling , performance than previous gen Celica, plus better fuel economy even though its driven enthusiastically. Great job by Toyota, was hard to locate one with ABS. So far has been trouble free, seems like it will go forever.

Favorite Features

Performance, economy (33 MPG), reliability, styling, HID headlights.

Suggested Improvements

More torque, still waiting for TRD Supercharger.

Last of a dying breed
By Scotty

2004 Toyota Celica Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

2004 Celica GT-S with action package is an incredibly stylish and fun ride. The only downsides are that it requires 93 octane Premium gas and has a fairly utilitarian interior. As far as 4 cylinder nonturbo coupes go, you cant beat a Celica for fun driving and quick thrills. The prices that Toyotas go for always reflect their longer lifespan and higher resale value. GT-S models feature Lift, similar to Honda V-Tec system -- with a second head kicking in at 6800 rpm for a quick turbo like boost to redline.

Favorite Features

Low profile and tight steering. Several aftermarket body kits available for customizing look.

Suggested Improvements

Optional supercharger would be nice, not much low end torque.

My opinion
By boston boy

2004 Toyota Celica Hatchback GTS 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

i like pretty much everything about my celica it has the power and control i like while still having the safety controls that are needed.