Used 2004 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Still has some kick to it
By iguana884

2004 Toyota Celica GTS 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a used '04 GT-S looking for a more reliable car than my Bonneville (my first car). What I got was a car that shook while idling and threatened to shut off at traffic lights. After changing the black mass that was the air filter and cleaning the throttle, my GT-S got a new lease on life. I was first hesitant about revving to the redline (something I'd never do on the Bonneville), but after feeling the VVTL-i kick in, I was hooked. My favorite part of the day is warming up the car, easing onto the freeway ramp, dropping to second and gunning it to the speed limit. The little extra push at 6.5k always puts a smile on my face.

Favorite Features

The engine by far. Dear gods above, the engine. She's a sensitive one, but once you get the throttle down, she likes to run. And just when you think she's running out of steam, you get another extra kick. I guess it's Toyota's version of Vtec, which I think is a great idea for getting more performance out of an otherwise not so great engine. VVT-i is fun and all, but the little push at the end, the encouraging "go get 'em" is wonderful. I also enjoy the MASSIVE space I get when I fold down the seats. I could sleep there and I stand at 6'.

Suggested Improvements

The build quality. My front bumper is put together with spare bolts and zip ties. At one point I thought I got a flat. No. The mud guard fell off. Yes, it handles great, but I wish it didn't sound like metal on windy days. (The metal in the wheel well shakes sometimes).

The best. Period!
By gtsfreak

2004 Toyota Celica GTS 2dr Hatchback w/Action Package (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned a 2004 Celica GT-S since January 2011. What a blast to drive. Hopefully, I'll get the infamous Toyota reliability out of this car as I did from my 1991 Celica ST. It's a shame Toyota discontinued this model back in 2005. Car runs smooth. Terrific handling. Sharp interior. Unfortunately, Celicas take a beating from the public. I can't tell you how many times people have purposely scratched, keyed and dented my car out of jealousy. It happened to my 1991 Celica as well. For some reason, they just can't let a sweet looking car look sweet for long. On the other side of the coin, even today, people will stop to complement me about this great looking car. It rocks! Very pleased with it.

Favorite Features

Sharp Exterior Styling Cool interior styling Superb handling & performance Sound system Peppy Turns Heads

Suggested Improvements

Dangerous blind spot Paint quality susceptible to scratches and scuff marks Could be quicker off the line

I love it!
By Caitlin

2004 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was looking to buy a car I wanted a cute sports car to take with me to college. I was originally looking at Hyundai Tiburons and when I saw the Celica online I knew that's what I wanted. For only having a 4 cylinder engine it has nice boost of speed when you hit the gas. I have had no problems with mine and I bought it used with 48,000 miles. My car always gets looks by people who see it. :)

Favorite Features

It shifts smoothly and looks great!

Suggested Improvements

The back seat is really small but its something I'm willing to deal with!

Never Toyota Again
By Never Toyota Again

2004 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have bought Toyota Celica 2004 GT in 2004. Not much but oil change for the first 2 years. After that the car becomes a money draining machine. Brake changes; Tire changes; Clutch changes; Now, Transmission change - burn out in the middle of no where after 5 years of driving (yes the transmission oil had been changed before). The car is reliable until the expiring mileage of 250000 km or 5 years. I guess Toyota has to make money and we have to buy a new car every five year to have reliable transportation means. Oh, forgot to mention that Check engine lights stay On and I still pass emission test in Ontario. The computer for emission in Celica is very tight.

Favorite Features

Body of the car and white color is beautiful to the eyes.

Suggested Improvements

Remove Check Engine Lights and widen emission tolerance; Make more reliable Transmission (many friends of mine have also experience Transmission burn-out like me).

Hail to the "Launch Ramp"...
By Azrael

2004 Toyota Celica GTS 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I originally wanted an RSX, but, after the test drive, it left something to be desired. It wasn't fast enough. I noticed this car across the lot, and I was immediately drawn to it. This car is so fun to drive! I am averaging around 30 mpg mixed, and the cabin is uber quiet. Freeway on-ramps are now known to me and my family as "launch ramps". One of the only things I don't like about it is the spoiler. Who thought that putting the spoiler across the CENTER of the field of vision was a good idea?!

Favorite Features

The high-end torque!!! It feels like I'm jumping to warp when the tach reads above 5800. The exterior styling is not something you see everyday.

Suggested Improvements

First and foremost, the TRD spoiler (come on, right across the back window?). Second, the position of the cup holders in the Manual transmission model are too close to the gear lever. You can't shift without knocking your drink over. And you can forget about passengers in the rear seat.