Used 2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Most Helpful|
Great Car
By cam_

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is what I have to say about these certain Topics: Fuel Economy: Excellent for a car of this style. A sport car style with great mileage. People will appreciate this car when gas prices shoot up. I get 33 mpg (mix highway/city). GTS model required premium gas. Performance: Under powered but that's alright, but that is the trade off for good mileage. GT model gets 140hp while the GTS gets 180hp. Either model is fun to drive. If you think 140hp GT sucks compared to the GTS's 180hp, keep in mind that the 2013 VW golf hybrid turbo makes 170hp.. GT or GTS is equally a great buy. But if you like the sound of "Lift" (similar sound to VTEC) get the GTS.

Favorite Features

Handles very well. It is a FWD, good for economy and handling. This car is practical while looking good at the same time. Good amount of space in trunk. Small space in cockpit but if your under 6' than you are fine. Good Starter car for learning how to drive a standard. TRD action package is eye candy, I get endless compliments. This car is also quite rare, especially the TRD action package, thus gives a sense of of being "one-of-kind".

Suggested Improvements

interior could have been resigned. Other than that, no other improvements are needed.

Fantastic car
By EKinCapistrano

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It surprised me how well Celicas retained their value, then I drove one! I'd been eyeballing them for a couple months and when I finally had enough cash to buy it outright, I didn't hesitate to scoop one up. I disagree with the sports car classification but it is quick. Having owned a junky '97 Sebring and still owning a '70 El Camino, both problematic, it's great to have a car where I only need to do routine maintenance and it runs like a top. My Celica has almost 94,000 miles on it and I can probably get another 100,000 out of it before it starts to really fall apart!

Favorite Features

Easily the gas mileage, the reliability and the handling. It's a well-built car all around.

Suggested Improvements

The engine could use more guts, but it's probably moot since Celicas aren't manufactured anymore.

It's a great car for its class
By Tigress

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my car. It's an absolutely great car for the price (I could not find a better one in its class). Toyota did cheap out on a few things like some materials they use (like for seats) is really shoddy. But, it's cause they managed to make this car perform better than its predecessor while making the price cheaper. The car handles like a dream even for a FWD. It's not the fastest in its class but it's an absolute ball to drive. So far it's been reliable but I've only had it for a year so take that as you will. It does have some buzzes rattles and the seats have wear out parts but it seems so far the stuff that matters like engine is solid.

Favorite Features

Handling (very tight steering and good feel), aggressive looks (looks to be inspired by Lamborghini), remote locks, very fun to drive, so far reliable, *gas*mileage*

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior and trim. Would have been better as a RWD (then it could be taken more seriously as a sporty car).

My '03 Celica
By Tina

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand spanking new car at 40yrs of age. I wanted a car that was sporty, yet economical. This car suits me fine since I am only 5'1". My children are all older so I really didn't care about the comfort of the backseat. We have taken it on many road trips, it is a bit cramped for my husband who is 5'9", but if I drive (which I always do) he can adjust and we always bring plenty of pillows. I do not regret for a moment buying this car since I do put about 27,000 miles/year on her, but she is holding up wonderfully even in the worst weather the Northeast has to offer. Thanks Toyota, I love my Celica :)

Favorite Features

Sporty appearance and an engine that still has a lot of power even after 5 years, haven't replaced clutch or brakes yet. She's a great car.

Suggested Improvements

Starting to get a bit of rust around the wheel well on my driver's side that is my only complaint, but the road crews in the North East US, use a lot of salt in the winter months, if my car had some kind of frame around the wheel well, that wouldn't rust easily?? That's about it, I love her as is!

By flgirl1

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have purchased many cars in my lifetime, but I must say that I really like this car. It has a good sound system, and is very sporty. I am always receiving compliments on it even though it is 6 years old! I am single, so I wasn't the least bit concerned about a 4 door. It is very economical and I fill up my tank way less than previously. All in all, I couldn't ask for a better vehicle.

Favorite Features

Sporty design. It looks like a high dollar import car. Even the brand new cars don't compare with the looks or design of this car.

Suggested Improvements

No complaints. My car has aftermarket tailights which are really cool. I would have liked to see the keyless entry, which I do not have! It rains a lot here in Florida!