Used 2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great Car Until It Started Over heating
By ton1974

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned 3 Celicas. My 2003 GTS always had issues with heating the car in the winter. I about froze to death if I had to drive it in the winter. Never found out why it did that. I had the 2003 for 4 years and overall was a great car UNTIL I hit the 95,000 mile mark then the over heating started. I had a thermostat put on it, bleed the radiator etc. And it still would over heat. I finally traded it in. I was disappointed at the end. I would of kept the car longer if the over heating issues was not happening. Sad day when I traded it in.

Great Car
By cam_

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is what I have to say about these certain Topics: Fuel Economy: Excellent for a car of this style. A sport car style with great mileage. People will appreciate this car when gas prices shoot up. I get 33 mpg (mix highway/city). GTS model required premium gas. Performance: Under powered but that's alright, but that is the trade off for good mileage. GT model gets 140hp while the GTS gets 180hp. Either model is fun to drive. If you think 140hp GT sucks compared to the GTS's 180hp, keep in mind that the 2013 VW golf hybrid turbo makes 170hp.. GT or GTS is equally a great buy. But if you like the sound of "Lift" (similar sound to VTEC) get the GTS.

Handles very well. It is a FWD, good for economy and handling. This car is practical while looking good at the same time. Good amount of space in trunk. Small space in cockpit but if your under 6' than you are fine. Good Starter car for learning how to drive a standard. TRD action package is eye candy, I get endless compliments. This car is also quite rare, especially the TRD action package, thus gives a sense of of being "one-of-kind".

interior could have been resigned. Other than that, no other improvements are needed.

Fantastic car
By EKinCapistrano

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It surprised me how well Celicas retained their value, then I drove one! I'd been eyeballing them for a couple months and when I finally had enough cash to buy it outright, I didn't hesitate to scoop one up. I disagree with the sports car classification but it is quick. Having owned a junky '97 Sebring and still owning a '70 El Camino, both problematic, it's great to have a car where I only need to do routine maintenance and it runs like a top. My Celica has almost 94,000 miles on it and I can probably get another 100,000 out of it before it starts to really fall apart!

Easily the gas mileage, the reliability and the handling. It's a well-built car all around.

The engine could use more guts, but it's probably moot since Celicas aren't manufactured anymore.

It's a great car for its class
By Tigress

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my car. It's an absolutely great car for the price (I could not find a better one in its class). Toyota did cheap out on a few things like some materials they use (like for seats) is really shoddy. But, it's cause they managed to make this car perform better than its predecessor while making the price cheaper. The car handles like a dream even for a FWD. It's not the fastest in its class but it's an absolute ball to drive. So far it's been reliable but I've only had it for a year so take that as you will. It does have some buzzes rattles and the seats have wear out parts but it seems so far the stuff that matters like engine is solid.

Handling (very tight steering and good feel), aggressive looks (looks to be inspired by Lamborghini), remote locks, very fun to drive, so far reliable, *gas*mileage*

Better quality interior and trim. Would have been better as a RWD (then it could be taken more seriously as a sporty car).

By flgirl1

2003 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have purchased many cars in my lifetime, but I must say that I really like this car. It has a good sound system, and is very sporty. I am always receiving compliments on it even though it is 6 years old! I am single, so I wasn't the least bit concerned about a 4 door. It is very economical and I fill up my tank way less than previously. All in all, I couldn't ask for a better vehicle.

Sporty design. It looks like a high dollar import car. Even the brand new cars don't compare with the looks or design of this car.

No complaints. My car has aftermarket tailights which are really cool. I would have liked to see the keyless entry, which I do not have! It rains a lot here in Florida!