Used 2003 Toyota Celica GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great Car
By cam_

2003 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is what I have to say about these certain Topics: Fuel Economy: Excellent for a car of this style. A sport car style with great mileage. People will appreciate this car when gas prices shoot up. I get 33 mpg (mix highway/city). GTS model required premium gas. Performance: Under powered but that's alright, but that is the trade off for good mileage. GT model gets 140hp while the GTS gets 180hp. Either model is fun to drive. If you think 140hp GT sucks compared to the GTS's 180hp, keep in mind that the 2013 VW golf hybrid turbo makes 170hp.. GT or GTS is equally a great buy. But if you like the sound of "Lift" (similar sound to VTEC) get the GTS.

Handles very well. It is a FWD, good for economy and handling. This car is practical while looking good at the same time. Good amount of space in trunk. Small space in cockpit but if your under 6' than you are fine. Good Starter car for learning how to drive a standard. TRD action package is eye candy, I get endless compliments. This car is also quite rare, especially the TRD action package, thus gives a sense of of being "one-of-kind".

interior could have been resigned. Other than that, no other improvements are needed.

It's a great car for its class
By Tigress

2003 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my car. It's an absolutely great car for the price (I could not find a better one in its class). Toyota did cheap out on a few things like some materials they use (like for seats) is really shoddy. But, it's cause they managed to make this car perform better than its predecessor while making the price cheaper. The car handles like a dream even for a FWD. It's not the fastest in its class but it's an absolute ball to drive. So far it's been reliable but I've only had it for a year so take that as you will. It does have some buzzes rattles and the seats have wear out parts but it seems so far the stuff that matters like engine is solid.

Handling (very tight steering and good feel), aggressive looks (looks to be inspired by Lamborghini), remote locks, very fun to drive, so far reliable, *gas*mileage*

Better quality interior and trim. Would have been better as a RWD (then it could be taken more seriously as a sporty car).

By flgirl1

2003 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have purchased many cars in my lifetime, but I must say that I really like this car. It has a good sound system, and is very sporty. I am always receiving compliments on it even though it is 6 years old! I am single, so I wasn't the least bit concerned about a 4 door. It is very economical and I fill up my tank way less than previously. All in all, I couldn't ask for a better vehicle.

Sporty design. It looks like a high dollar import car. Even the brand new cars don't compare with the looks or design of this car.

No complaints. My car has aftermarket tailights which are really cool. I would have liked to see the keyless entry, which I do not have! It rains a lot here in Florida!

My '03 Celica
By Tina

2003 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand spanking new car at 40yrs of age. I wanted a car that was sporty, yet economical. This car suits me fine since I am only 5'1". My children are all older so I really didn't care about the comfort of the backseat. We have taken it on many road trips, it is a bit cramped for my husband who is 5'9", but if I drive (which I always do) he can adjust and we always bring plenty of pillows. I do not regret for a moment buying this car since I do put about 27,000 miles/year on her, but she is holding up wonderfully even in the worst weather the Northeast has to offer. Thanks Toyota, I love my Celica :)

Sporty appearance and an engine that still has a lot of power even after 5 years, haven't replaced clutch or brakes yet. She's a great car.

Starting to get a bit of rust around the wheel well on my driver's side that is my only complaint, but the road crews in the North East US, use a lot of salt in the winter months, if my car had some kind of frame around the wheel well, that wouldn't rust easily?? That's about it, I love her as is!

Great Purchase
By Jen

2003 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new in late 2003. Have not been sorry except for when I have people or luggage to haul, and even the luggage can be worked around. This car gets great gas mileage and I have never gotten more compliments on a vehicle than this. I always have people telling me how "cool" my car is and it is now approaching 5 years old. The only thing, other than a little more backseat space that I would like is a few more "electronic" features loike sterring wheel stereo controls, etc, but for the money, it is a great car and who cares about the stereo when you can't drive the car because of mechanical issues? Reliable and a lifesaver right now because of gas prices, I STILL love my Celica.

Gas mileage, reliability, body of the vehicle looks expensive, holds more cargo than it appears, hugs the road on turns, solid back-end design (I was rearended pretty hard just after I bought it and no frame damage), my moon roof.

Allow for height adjustment to driver seat, more usable design for backseat (not a buckety-hole), more electronic features available, better design in between front seats (maybe a little lower?), an extra AC for my ipod and phone to both be plugged in.