Used 2002 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

My sweetheart
By silvenshadow

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven it HARD for 30,000 mi and it runs flawlessly. Not a 0-60 or a 1/4mi car, but with a skidpad of over .9g it caresses the curves. Balence is excellent. The difference between oversteer, and understeer is only a blip or brake away. Not scary-fast, and the #1 reason I got it: It's the most beautiful thing on the road IMO. Looking for speed-thrills? look elsewhere. It's just a pure experience. I don't need to go past 135mph anyway. And a note to anyone like me: Considering buying one because she shines like a diamond? The feel and spirit of the car will make up for any shortcomings. I've had mine for 10mo and she still takes my breath away.

Favorite Features

Handling, Cockpit, storage, CARGO CAPACITY! Folding seats. Decent radio. Weighs almost nothing. Close-ratio transmission. Unique elegant gauges. Seats/lateral support. High red-line. Easy maintinance. Good gas milage. Great high-speed stability. It's beautiful!

Suggested Improvements

ABS should be stock, as well as the short-throw shifter.. Stock antenna is ugly. Stock tires weren't so good. Some people complain about headroom, but I'm 6'0" and if I had my way I would drop the roof by about 2-3in and widen the car by 3-4 in.

Glad I did it!
By Stevio

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was a little skeptical, but bought a 2002 Celica GT "certified used" with 6K miles on it. Without a lot of options, I got it cheap for a commuter car to keep miles off my more expensive and gas thirsty Land Rovers. It's really a blast to drive. Not too much power so you get carried away, but still fun getting up to the speed limit just a little faster than most. Great little car. It's no Bimmer or Benz, but adequate in all respects. It's been called a "chick car" but I can think of worse things than having a car that women appreciate.

Favorite Features

Great sounding engine. Functional scoop (should be a tad bigger). Great seats!

Suggested Improvements

Stereo is terrible. ABS should be standard. Should tame down the headlight shape a bit and drop the rear deck height a bit. Cupholders are worthless when trying to shift.

Excellent pick
By hmntafiel1

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Although this car does not have as much horsepower as the GT-S model, it is still a fun car to drive. Not only that, but the fuel economy of this car is great. I drive on the highway quite a ways since my job is 55 miles one-way and this baby has given me up to 450 miles on a single tank of gas. The ride is not as smooth as let's say- a Lexus, but the suspension is great, especially around those curves. Would definitely recommend this car to anyone who is considering it.

Favorite Features

The bucket seats and low profile give the driver a race car feel. The interior and trunk space is pretty roomy for such a small sports car. The detailed side panels make it very eye- catching.

Suggested Improvements

The interior finishing could be a little more refined and the position of the cup holders should be shifted to a different position.

celica02
By atazman

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Handles excellent, a lot of fun to drive, great looks in and out.

Favorite Features

Stereo sound, moonroof, very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horse power just to keep up with the horse power race that's taking place in the automotive industry.

Wonderful Experience
By JMiller

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Since i bought this car close to a year ago it has been nothing but a Fun Ride. Great mileage and a sporty feel. You can't beat it.!

Favorite Features

The agressive look and engine with still being fuel efficient.

Suggested Improvements

More leg and head room for the Taller person