Used 2002 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Most Helpful|
Unique racy looks, easy to own!
By bcd

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it 6 yrs old with 40,000 miles, Toyota certified used. Has been totally reliable, and I get 35-37 mpg, driving mostly highway miles. I love the handling and steering - it feels very nimble, light and capable. The styling is unique and my Celica gets lots of looks and comments. Adequate power, firm but comfortable ride. Really everything you expect from a sports hatchback.

Favorite Features

Styling is very unique and bold, both inside and out. Steering and handling. Much better mpg than you'd expect.

Suggested Improvements

You'll wish the cupholders were someplace different. Poor rearward visibility can be annoying.

Great car
By Al003

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I think this is the best toyota, I have a corola and camary as well

Favorite Features

Good pickup and very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder needs to move. This is specially an issue for a bigger person, it becomes very difficult to change gear with a cup in the cup holder.

Love it and hate it (gosh darn Toyota
By TommyB

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is perhaps the most fun car I have ever owned. It's pretty, quick, and can out corner almost anything else on the road. Who would have thought that on ramps could be so much fun! This was a solid car for the first two years. I had no problem whatsoever. Then, at 190,000 the first motor blew. At 240,000 miles I am on my third motor and second transmission. Replacement part are expensive when you can find what you need. Luckily, all that breaks is the motor and tranny! That said, I drive a lot of miles. I have had two American cars that hit 300k miles with less trouble. Great car, but not if the miles are high. This car is a fling, not a marriage! For most, a great car,

Favorite Features

Looks, cornering, precise steering, gas mileage, and most of all, FUN.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, but without the VVT1 and make the motor and transmission. live up to the legendary corolla for endurance. You will have a great car that does not die!

HANDLING MONSTER
By JonM

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE BEST HANDLING CARS THAT I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. YOU CAN BANG AROUND TURNS LIKE ITS NOTHING AND NOT SKID OUT!!!! IF TOURQUE WAS A LITTLE BIT MORE THEN IT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!

Favorite Features

THE HANDLING!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

IMPROVE THE TOURQUE AND IT WOULD BE AWESOME

Great car and fun to drive
By Keri

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say I was hesitant about buying this car. I liked the look of the car but the size worried me a bit. I am so glad I bought it. It has been reliable and really fun to drive. It is small and at times, I have had to sit in the back seat and I was cramped. However, I rarely do that. I don't care, the performance, gas mileage, the look, etc. make it well worth it. I love my car.

Favorite Features

The exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is really small.