Used 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Love it and hate it (gosh darn Toyota
By TommyB

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is perhaps the most fun car I have ever owned. It's pretty, quick, and can out corner almost anything else on the road. Who would have thought that on ramps could be so much fun! This was a solid car for the first two years. I had no problem whatsoever. Then, at 190,000 the first motor blew. At 240,000 miles I am on my third motor and second transmission. Replacement part are expensive when you can find what you need. Luckily, all that breaks is the motor and tranny! That said, I drive a lot of miles. I have had two American cars that hit 300k miles with less trouble. Great car, but not if the miles are high. This car is a fling, not a marriage! For most, a great car,

Favorite Features

Looks, cornering, precise steering, gas mileage, and most of all, FUN.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, but without the VVT1 and make the motor and transmission. live up to the legendary corolla for endurance. You will have a great car that does not die!

I'm gonna miss this car...
By Zahmorri

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My Celica treated me so well. Handled like a dream, fantastic gas mileage (always around 30 mpg), not a single mechanical issue in the six years I owned it (bought it used in 2004 with 30k). Very smooth manual transmission. Yeah, there's no backseat, but what do you expect? It's not meant to be a family car. With decent tires, it can handle a Kansas winter, which is saying a lot for a 2400 lb car. I got in a bad front-impact accident and totaled mine, and the crush zones were phenomenal. Everything behind the firewall was completely untouched. For such a small car, I felt very safe in it. Not to mention sexy, because it's a dang good looking car.

Favorite Features

SO fun to drive, easy to park, incredibly reliable. Great gas mileage. Easy access to all controls from the driver's seat. Turns heads. More than adequate power for a four cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

Acoustics weren't that great. Cup holder location is inconvenient, especially with a stick. Low visibility out the back window. Road noise (but that's probably because it was so lightweight).

The car I always wanted
By hvyjet

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I originally drove this car to rule it out. Instead I found the car I always wanted. Fun to drive, corners on rails. I love watching other cars try to keep up with me in the twisties. I've done a couple of trips of 14+ hours straight driving and the seats stay comfortable. Back seats are almost useless, but who cares. Car has a lot of road noise, but that's probably how they keep it at 2400 lbs. I always get at least 30 mpg and I've gotten over 40 on a couple of long trips. I did replace the accessory belt at 30,000 because of noise, but no other problems. My wife doesn't like this car because it's low and requires you to climb up and out of it.

Favorite Features

Handling. Engine is well matched to car. Basic brakes are excellent. Mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back.

Not too sporty but man is it reliable
By VD Drew

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Celica is my wife's car prior 2 us meeting and we've purchased 2 newer cars since marrying. Having kids I've tired to sell this 2door however after 2 years of spending $ on the newer cars, this celica has the most miles but 20% of the cost of maintaining the other cars. It's underpowered, doesn't have enough torque, and has a very disappointing rt=rear blind spot, horrible rear seats, uncomfortable for tall drivers, slopping dash where u can't put anything on. I found other small cars better and faster like the Mazda 3, Corolla, Vibe. Pros are it's nimble, good looking, good gas mileage, easy to maintain, awesome on curves.

Favorite Features

Looks, nimbleness, racing pedals, big trunk for sml car, ability to drive manual from steering wheel controls

Suggested Improvements

fix horrible rt/rear blind spot, no small car should have blind spot

My Celica GTS
By baslash1

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. This is my first Celica, and I couldn't be happier. I have now own it for a little over three years, and still love to drive it. Fuel economy is very good, about 30 mpg in town. I do a lot of city driving in Atlanta, and also a lot of interstate driving... long trips. I have no complaints about this vehicle. At 73,000 miles all I have had to do is change the oil and tires. I have had no incidences of mechanical problems or otherwise. It has a very classic look, mine has the rear spoiler, but none of the trendy optional ground effects, looks like a classic raodster. After 3 years people still say they love this car.

Favorite Features

Love the dashboard design. I think it looks like a manta ray or something like that, definitely a unique design. I also like that the power door and window controls are on the center console, very convenient design. All controls are easy to access and use while driving.