2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Love it and hate it (gosh darn Toyota
By TommyB on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is perhaps the most fun car I have ever owned. It's pretty, quick, and can out corner almost anything else on the road. Who would have thought that on ramps could be so much fun! This was a solid car for the first two years. I had no problem whatsoever. Then, at 190,000 the first motor blew. At 240,000 miles I am on my third motor and second transmission. Replacement part are expensive when you can find what you need. Luckily, all that breaks is the motor and tranny! That said, I drive a lot of miles. I have had two American cars that hit 300k miles with less trouble. Great car, but not if the miles are high. This car is a fling, not a marriage! For most, a great car,

I'm gonna miss this car...
By Zahmorri on 07/22/10 10:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My Celica treated me so well. Handled like a dream, fantastic gas mileage (always around 30 mpg), not a single mechanical issue in the six years I owned it (bought it used in 2004 with 30k). Very smooth manual transmission. Yeah, there's no backseat, but what do you expect? It's not meant to be a family car. With decent tires, it can handle a Kansas winter, which is saying a lot for a 2400 lb car. I got in a bad front-impact accident and totaled mine, and the crush zones were phenomenal. Everything behind the firewall was completely untouched. For such a small car, I felt very safe in it. Not to mention sexy, because it's a dang good looking car.

The car I always wanted
By hvyjet on 03/13/10 22:07 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I originally drove this car to rule it out. Instead I found the car I always wanted. Fun to drive, corners on rails. I love watching other cars try to keep up with me in the twisties. I've done a couple of trips of 14+ hours straight driving and the seats stay comfortable. Back seats are almost useless, but who cares. Car has a lot of road noise, but that's probably how they keep it at 2400 lbs. I always get at least 30 mpg and I've gotten over 40 on a couple of long trips. I did replace the accessory belt at 30,000 because of noise, but no other problems. My wife doesn't like this car because it's low and requires you to climb up and out of it.

Not too sporty but man is it reliable
By VD Drew on 05/21/09 22:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Celica is my wife's car prior 2 us meeting and we've purchased 2 newer cars since marrying. Having kids I've tired to sell this 2door however after 2 years of spending $ on the newer cars, this celica has the most miles but 20% of the cost of maintaining the other cars. It's underpowered, doesn't have enough torque, and has a very disappointing rt=rear blind spot, horrible rear seats, uncomfortable for tall drivers, slopping dash where u can't put anything on. I found other small cars better and faster like the Mazda 3, Corolla, Vibe. Pros are it's nimble, good looking, good gas mileage, easy to maintain, awesome on curves.

My Celica GTS
By baslash1 on 05/24/06 08:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. This is my first Celica, and I couldn't be happier. I have now own it for a little over three years, and still love to drive it. Fuel economy is very good, about 30 mpg in town. I do a lot of city driving in Atlanta, and also a lot of interstate driving... long trips. I have no complaints about this vehicle. At 73,000 miles all I have had to do is change the oil and tires. I have had no incidences of mechanical problems or otherwise. It has a very classic look, mine has the rear spoiler, but none of the trendy optional ground effects, looks like a classic raodster. After 3 years people still say they love this car.

Best car ever
By huston on 08/25/05 15:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is very dependible and it also is a fun car to drive as well. it has never broken down on me and i never think it will.

The Best
By peeper2006 on 06/26/05 03:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A Celica has been my dream car for a few years now, and I just bought an '02 GT-S with the body kit (black with clear and blue bulbs in the headlights, blue side marker bulbs with clear lenses) and it is great. I get sooooooo many compliments on my car wherever I go. The styling on it is AMAZING! And the there is no other car that even slightly resembles it. Its not as fast as I would like, but the look makes up for it. Also, it is kind of loud, and is pretty cramped in the rear seats. But I would suggest this car to anyone who is smaller and loves sports or tuner cars! Toyota is great, and the Celica is the best sporty coupe out there.

2 Sweet Celica GT-S
By phatz on 01/05/05 11:36 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The car is sweet, sexy, cool. Acceleration and handling is awesome in the GT-S trim. The VVTL-I is unmatched at 180hp from a 1.8L motor - truly impressive.

Wonderful Experience
By JMiller on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Since i bought this car close to a year ago it has been nothing but a Fun Ride. Great mileage and a sporty feel. You can't beat it.!

Absolutely the best car I've ever owned!
By jdlanctot on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car 10 months ago and I haven't been disappointed. On the practical side is 30+mpg, reliability, and resale value. Maintenance is a breeze, except for an underside engine cover (not that bad). Acceleration, braking, and handling/suspension are truly outstanding. The 6-speed manual took little time to get used to and is well- tuned for speed shifting. If you want to feel "one with your machine", this is the car for you. Sure-footed and responsive. Finally, the car is a head-turner; people stop in parking lots to look it over. Friends love to go for rides. My wife loves to drive it too.

1 2 3 4 5 next »