2002 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Great MPG at a great price
By amancheski on 09/30/13 09:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 02 Celica GT 5speed since February 2013 and have had it on some long trips. Drove it from Upper Michigan to South west colorado and back. Even in the mountains i was maintaining over 30 mpg. While in the mountains at about 32 to 33 once we got to the flats i was between 36 and 37 mpg. For a car that sits so low to the ground and is light it rides very well sometimes I think it rides smother than my lifted Tundra. Haven't been able to really test how well it does in snow to much as winter was winding down when i first got it but I can say that it does handle slippery roads very well. With not having any traction control or abs just make sure you know how to operate thus said.

8 celica owner
By celica52 on 07/01/10 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Toyota Celica gts hatchback has been extremely reliable and I have bought celicas since 1977. I am sad to say I will not be buying any more toyotas because they delayed so long in telling people about the accelerator problems. As a matter of principal, this is my last toyota.

Toyota, Please bring this car back
By qkslvr on 05/13/10 08:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 new and have 190,000 miles on it. I just returned from a seven week 9400 mile road trip. My guitar, my golf clubs, my clothes with room for a passenger. This is one of those amazing cars like the old Honda Civic Hatchback that do so many things well. On top of that, this design was over the top for a $20K sports car. I hope you all recall the great commercials implying that the car looked like it was going 60 while standing still. Since Toyota sold nearly as many of these as Mitsubishi did of their Eclipse I still don't understand the move to discontinue it. Let's face it, the MR2 may have been a performer but one could never travel in it with more than a carry-on.

02 Celica GT
By Almazyan on 12/11/09 00:07 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car when me and my wife got married with 30,000 miles, the mileage now is 125,000. Since then we never had a single problem all we did its an oil change that's all, it is a wonderful car maintenance wise super reliable and awesome fuel economy, lots of trunk space unusual for the car its size. The things we are not so happy are the rear seats, lack of space even for kids, Horrible cup holder location and blind spots in the rear. Nice car definitely not family car.

Greaat Sports Coupe
By Jen on 04/12/09 11:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since it was brand new and it now has almost 150,000 miles. The only things I have had to replace besides the scheduled maintenance is the mass air flow and the catalytic converter. It still has the original brakes and battery! It is nice to have such a reliable car.

Great little car
By ken on 09/03/08 14:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 65 and have owned this car for 3 years. I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life. It is really fun to drive, it has excellent brakes, handles great, gets good gas mileage,(32 mpg highway) and is super reliable, I've had zero problems with it. The only changes I've done on it are going to 16" performance tires and a low restriction air filter. It is plenty fast when you need to pass on 2 lane roads. High speed stability is outstanding. I'm 6'3" so it is a little tight when I slide under the steering wheel, but the headroom is fine. My only complaints are what everyone else seems to mention in their reviews, not enough low end torque, rear visibility, and rear seat room.

First time buyer
By celicaluvr08 on 06/21/08 17:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is awesome, I'm 19 and this is my second car, I used to have a Honda civic. I got in it at the dealership and knew I was driving away in it. It's not really fast, but with the action package that Toyota introduced in 2002, it looks fast and with gas prices now a days, going fast is irrelevant =) The interior is very spacious, well the front seats are. I wouldn't recommend taking more than one person at a time. There is so much more i could type about this car, I love driving it, it turns soooo many heads... I love it!

Great car and fun to drive
By Keri on 06/18/08 17:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have to say I was hesitant about buying this car. I liked the look of the car but the size worried me a bit. I am so glad I bought it. It has been reliable and really fun to drive. It is small and at times, I have had to sit in the back seat and I was cramped. However, I rarely do that. I don't care, the performance, gas mileage, the look, etc. make it well worth it. I love my car.

Unique racy looks, easy to own!
By bcd on 06/18/08 14:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it 6 yrs old with 40,000 miles, Toyota certified used. Has been totally reliable, and I get 35-37 mpg, driving mostly highway miles. I love the handling and steering - it feels very nimble, light and capable. The styling is unique and my Celica gets lots of looks and comments. Adequate power, firm but comfortable ride. Really everything you expect from a sports hatchback.

Solid coupe
By Matt on 06/14/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Solid sporty coupe, had it for almost six years now and the only maintenance I've had to perform is changing fluids, tires, etc. It doesn't have massive amounts of power but with a manual it's possible to extract decent performance out of the base GT engine. Turning is superb; the car handles like it's on a track. The handling compares favorably to a Cooper S and is comparable to a Miata.

1 2 3 4 5 next »