Used 2002 Toyota Celica GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great MPG at a great price
By amancheski

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 02 Celica GT 5speed since February 2013 and have had it on some long trips. Drove it from Upper Michigan to South west colorado and back. Even in the mountains i was maintaining over 30 mpg. While in the mountains at about 32 to 33 once we got to the flats i was between 36 and 37 mpg. For a car that sits so low to the ground and is light it rides very well sometimes I think it rides smother than my lifted Tundra. Haven't been able to really test how well it does in snow to much as winter was winding down when i first got it but I can say that it does handle slippery roads very well. With not having any traction control or abs just make sure you know how to operate thus said.

Have not done any improvement would like to put a cold air intake on it.

8 celica owner
By celica52

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Toyota Celica gts hatchback has been extremely reliable and I have bought celicas since 1977. I am sad to say I will not be buying any more toyotas because they delayed so long in telling people about the accelerator problems. As a matter of principal, this is my last toyota.

Pick up is very good for such a small engine. Great gas mileage.

I would like to have seen better visibility out back window.

Toyota, Please bring this car back
By qkslvr

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 new and have 190,000 miles on it. I just returned from a seven week 9400 mile road trip. My guitar, my golf clubs, my clothes with room for a passenger. This is one of those amazing cars like the old Honda Civic Hatchback that do so many things well. On top of that, this design was over the top for a $20K sports car. I hope you all recall the great commercials implying that the car looked like it was going 60 while standing still. Since Toyota sold nearly as many of these as Mitsubishi did of their Eclipse I still don't understand the move to discontinue it. Let's face it, the MR2 may have been a performer but one could never travel in it with more than a carry-on.

Without a doubt, the exterior styling was and is still so much more than you could expect for a car in this price range. The competition, (Eclipse, Tiburon) doesn't hold a candle. The Z is as pretty but pricier and no room. My Celica will go to my grandson when I find a nice low miles 2005.

I'm 5'-10" so just bring it back without any changes.

02 Celica GT
By Almazyan

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car when me and my wife got married with 30,000 miles, the mileage now is 125,000. Since then we never had a single problem all we did its an oil change that's all, it is a wonderful car maintenance wise super reliable and awesome fuel economy, lots of trunk space unusual for the car its size. The things we are not so happy are the rear seats, lack of space even for kids, Horrible cup holder location and blind spots in the rear. Nice car definitely not family car.

Fuel economy, reliability, reliability, reliability, exterior, interior design, Toyota.

Relocate cup holder, stiffer suspension, more torque.

Greaat Sports Coupe
By Jen

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since it was brand new and it now has almost 150,000 miles. The only things I have had to replace besides the scheduled maintenance is the mass air flow and the catalytic converter. It still has the original brakes and battery! It is nice to have such a reliable car.