2002 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Great MPG at a great price
By amancheski on 09/30/13 09:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 02 Celica GT 5speed since February 2013 and have had it on some long trips. Drove it from Upper Michigan to South west colorado and back. Even in the mountains i was maintaining over 30 mpg. While in the mountains at about 32 to 33 once we got to the flats i was between 36 and 37 mpg. For a car that sits so low to the ground and is light it rides very well sometimes I think it rides smother than my lifted Tundra. Haven't been able to really test how well it does in snow to much as winter was winding down when i first got it but I can say that it does handle slippery roads very well. With not having any traction control or abs just make sure you know how to operate thus said.

BEST CAR
By steelerfox on 10/17/12 18:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 celica gt with original action package. i love this car. i got this car as my first car 3 years ago and i will never get rid of it. this car will remain in my garage even after i get a new car. this car is amazing fun to driveĀ… possibly to much fun. it has been extremely reliable and the only problem i have had is an eval check engine light. fortunately i know a mechanic who helped me get that sorted out. this car is gorgeous and people tell me how much they love it all the time. it does very decent for a little car in the snow. i live on lake ontario in NY and we get quite a bit of snow but she has never let me down. the back seat is useless but who cares its not a family car.

Love it and hate it (gosh darn Toyota
By TommyB on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is perhaps the most fun car I have ever owned. It's pretty, quick, and can out corner almost anything else on the road. Who would have thought that on ramps could be so much fun! This was a solid car for the first two years. I had no problem whatsoever. Then, at 190,000 the first motor blew. At 240,000 miles I am on my third motor and second transmission. Replacement part are expensive when you can find what you need. Luckily, all that breaks is the motor and tranny! That said, I drive a lot of miles. I have had two American cars that hit 300k miles with less trouble. Great car, but not if the miles are high. This car is a fling, not a marriage! For most, a great car,

I'm gonna miss this car...
By Zahmorri on 07/22/10 10:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My Celica treated me so well. Handled like a dream, fantastic gas mileage (always around 30 mpg), not a single mechanical issue in the six years I owned it (bought it used in 2004 with 30k). Very smooth manual transmission. Yeah, there's no backseat, but what do you expect? It's not meant to be a family car. With decent tires, it can handle a Kansas winter, which is saying a lot for a 2400 lb car. I got in a bad front-impact accident and totaled mine, and the crush zones were phenomenal. Everything behind the firewall was completely untouched. For such a small car, I felt very safe in it. Not to mention sexy, because it's a dang good looking car.

8 celica owner
By celica52 on 07/01/10 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Toyota Celica gts hatchback has been extremely reliable and I have bought celicas since 1977. I am sad to say I will not be buying any more toyotas because they delayed so long in telling people about the accelerator problems. As a matter of principal, this is my last toyota.

Toyota, Please bring this car back
By qkslvr on 05/13/10 08:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 new and have 190,000 miles on it. I just returned from a seven week 9400 mile road trip. My guitar, my golf clubs, my clothes with room for a passenger. This is one of those amazing cars like the old Honda Civic Hatchback that do so many things well. On top of that, this design was over the top for a $20K sports car. I hope you all recall the great commercials implying that the car looked like it was going 60 while standing still. Since Toyota sold nearly as many of these as Mitsubishi did of their Eclipse I still don't understand the move to discontinue it. Let's face it, the MR2 may have been a performer but one could never travel in it with more than a carry-on.

The car I always wanted
By hvyjet on 03/13/10 22:07 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I originally drove this car to rule it out. Instead I found the car I always wanted. Fun to drive, corners on rails. I love watching other cars try to keep up with me in the twisties. I've done a couple of trips of 14+ hours straight driving and the seats stay comfortable. Back seats are almost useless, but who cares. Car has a lot of road noise, but that's probably how they keep it at 2400 lbs. I always get at least 30 mpg and I've gotten over 40 on a couple of long trips. I did replace the accessory belt at 30,000 because of noise, but no other problems. My wife doesn't like this car because it's low and requires you to climb up and out of it.

I Love My Little CarCar!
By claybirdie on 03/04/10 17:23 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am so in love with my Celica. I bought it new in 2002. I've put on so many miles! I drive a ridiculous amount and this car has never let me down - including the time I drove it home 85 MILES after being rear-ended - the exhaust pipe was COMPLETELY bent in on itself and the car made it home like a trooper! This car corners like it's on rails and has the most awesome breaks ever. It stops on a dime and gives you 9 cents back! It is a sporty car so you definitely feel every bump on the road, but let me tell you, this car makes you ONE with the road! This car is so responsive! I love it!

02 Celica GT
By Almazyan on 12/11/09 00:07 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car when me and my wife got married with 30,000 miles, the mileage now is 125,000. Since then we never had a single problem all we did its an oil change that's all, it is a wonderful car maintenance wise super reliable and awesome fuel economy, lots of trunk space unusual for the car its size. The things we are not so happy are the rear seats, lack of space even for kids, Horrible cup holder location and blind spots in the rear. Nice car definitely not family car.

Not too sporty but man is it reliable
By VD Drew on 05/21/09 22:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Celica is my wife's car prior 2 us meeting and we've purchased 2 newer cars since marrying. Having kids I've tired to sell this 2door however after 2 years of spending $ on the newer cars, this celica has the most miles but 20% of the cost of maintaining the other cars. It's underpowered, doesn't have enough torque, and has a very disappointing rt=rear blind spot, horrible rear seats, uncomfortable for tall drivers, slopping dash where u can't put anything on. I found other small cars better and faster like the Mazda 3, Corolla, Vibe. Pros are it's nimble, good looking, good gas mileage, easy to maintain, awesome on curves.