Used 2002 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great MPG at a great price
By amancheski

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 02 Celica GT 5speed since February 2013 and have had it on some long trips. Drove it from Upper Michigan to South west colorado and back. Even in the mountains i was maintaining over 30 mpg. While in the mountains at about 32 to 33 once we got to the flats i was between 36 and 37 mpg. For a car that sits so low to the ground and is light it rides very well sometimes I think it rides smother than my lifted Tundra. Haven't been able to really test how well it does in snow to much as winter was winding down when i first got it but I can say that it does handle slippery roads very well. With not having any traction control or abs just make sure you know how to operate thus said.

Suggested Improvements

Have not done any improvement would like to put a cold air intake on it.

BEST CAR
By steelerfox

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 celica gt with original action package. i love this car. i got this car as my first car 3 years ago and i will never get rid of it. this car will remain in my garage even after i get a new car. this car is amazing fun to drive… possibly to much fun. it has been extremely reliable and the only problem i have had is an eval check engine light. fortunately i know a mechanic who helped me get that sorted out. this car is gorgeous and people tell me how much they love it all the time. it does very decent for a little car in the snow. i live on lake ontario in NY and we get quite a bit of snow but she has never let me down. the back seat is useless but who cares its not a family car.

Favorite Features

i like the amazing handling, comfortable interior, gorgeous exterior and reliability of this car. i will love this car forever. she has never let me down.

Love it and hate it (gosh darn Toyota
By TommyB

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is perhaps the most fun car I have ever owned. It's pretty, quick, and can out corner almost anything else on the road. Who would have thought that on ramps could be so much fun! This was a solid car for the first two years. I had no problem whatsoever. Then, at 190,000 the first motor blew. At 240,000 miles I am on my third motor and second transmission. Replacement part are expensive when you can find what you need. Luckily, all that breaks is the motor and tranny! That said, I drive a lot of miles. I have had two American cars that hit 300k miles with less trouble. Great car, but not if the miles are high. This car is a fling, not a marriage! For most, a great car,

Favorite Features

Looks, cornering, precise steering, gas mileage, and most of all, FUN.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, but without the VVT1 and make the motor and transmission. live up to the legendary corolla for endurance. You will have a great car that does not die!

I'm gonna miss this car...
By Zahmorri

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My Celica treated me so well. Handled like a dream, fantastic gas mileage (always around 30 mpg), not a single mechanical issue in the six years I owned it (bought it used in 2004 with 30k). Very smooth manual transmission. Yeah, there's no backseat, but what do you expect? It's not meant to be a family car. With decent tires, it can handle a Kansas winter, which is saying a lot for a 2400 lb car. I got in a bad front-impact accident and totaled mine, and the crush zones were phenomenal. Everything behind the firewall was completely untouched. For such a small car, I felt very safe in it. Not to mention sexy, because it's a dang good looking car.

Favorite Features

SO fun to drive, easy to park, incredibly reliable. Great gas mileage. Easy access to all controls from the driver's seat. Turns heads. More than adequate power for a four cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

Acoustics weren't that great. Cup holder location is inconvenient, especially with a stick. Low visibility out the back window. Road noise (but that's probably because it was so lightweight).

8 celica owner
By celica52

2002 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Toyota Celica gts hatchback has been extremely reliable and I have bought celicas since 1977. I am sad to say I will not be buying any more toyotas because they delayed so long in telling people about the accelerator problems. As a matter of principal, this is my last toyota.

Favorite Features

Pick up is very good for such a small engine. Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have seen better visibility out back window.