2001 Toyota Celica Consumer Review: Reliable, Light-Weight, Easily

2001 Toyota Celica - Consumer Review

GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Reliable, Light-Weight, Easily Tuned
By ChrisDG on

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable. In 7 years, I've changed the battery once, and at 141,000 kms, the front brakes finally needed service. Back brakes they tell me have half the original material. I wanted a firmer suspension and a bit more hp, so I gave it a light tuning: AEM cold air intake, TRD cat-back system, shocks, lowering springs, and sway bars. The car ride extremely firm, but: a) never bottoms-out; b) it's much safer with a terrific grip (Toyota claims 0.90 with my set up) and lane change capability (+5 mi/h). I've no use for a back seat except to reduce insurance costs and carry my laptop. At 6'1", I can lie flat in the front. I've also carried a 78" x 30" sheet of acrylic in the back.

Light weight (stock 2425 lbs), makes this car very nimble. A hatchback makes it also very versatile.

Cold air intake and cat-back system totally eliminated any sign of lag when you press the gas. The low growl is not only fun, but also a safety factor in many situations. The suspension changes provide perfect ground clearance but can shake your car loose on rough streets. Only regret is no leather.