2001 Toyota Celica Consumer Review: Reliable, Light-Weight, Easily

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Review

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback

Reliable, Light-Weight, Easily Tuned
By ChrisDG on

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable. In 7 years, I've changed the battery once, and at 141,000 kms, the front brakes finally needed service. Back brakes they tell me have half the original material. I wanted a firmer suspension and a bit more hp, so I gave it a light tuning: AEM cold air intake, TRD cat-back system, shocks, lowering springs, and sway bars. The car ride extremely firm, but: a) never bottoms-out; b) it's much safer with a terrific grip (Toyota claims 0.90 with my set up) and lane change capability (+5 mi/h). I've no use for a back seat except to reduce insurance costs and carry my laptop. At 6'1", I can lie flat in the front. I've also carried a 78" x 30" sheet of acrylic in the back.

Light weight (stock 2425 lbs), makes this car very nimble. A hatchback makes it also very versatile.

Cold air intake and cat-back system totally eliminated any sign of lag when you press the gas. The low growl is not only fun, but also a safety factor in many situations. The suspension changes provide perfect ground clearance but can shake your car loose on rough streets. Only regret is no leather.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review