Great Car for 7 yrs - a/c not so great
By Monique on
2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
Only serious probs I've had with Black Beauty are with the a/c. I live in Phx, so you know it gets hot as hell outside. Once the temps hit about 110, the air stops cooling. Dealership said it was the compressor, so fixed that 8 months ago for just over 1K. Now another summer hits and same problem. They now say it's the evap valve.. another 1K. I've been told it has a really "small system" for the coolant, so doesn't hold much. I'd recommend the car if you don't have kids (very small back seat) and don't live in very hot climates requiring A/C for a good part of the year. Most importantly though, it is very reliable and a fun little ride and it's a beautiful car.
Favorite Features
Reliability - never any serious problems and I've had for almost 7 yrs (it has 48,500 miles on it), the look, manufacturer stereo quality great, large trunk space, nice handling, good gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
Not that it really matters since they stopped making Celicas (boo-hoo!:(), but I'd suggest a larger system for A/C coolant, tad higher front bumper (I have practically ripped mine off on parking curbs), addition of a front grille, better quality paint, lights that match on dash.