Bang for the buck
By Florida speed on
2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
On the first test drive, the tight, responsive suspension amazed the pants off me. Got my own (spectra blue mica), and told my buddy, "It let's you do s*** you really shouldn't be able to do," then yanked the wheel for a 90-degree left turn at about 40 mph. This car makes driving to work absolutely fun, and a trip to the mountains Nirvana. GT easily beats SUVs (and occasional Z-3 or Boxster) off the line & runs on cheap 87-octane gas. Very sexy car. Everyone compliments the color. A lot of car for the money; lucky I didn't get this when I was 16, or I might not be alive. I'm 30 now, but feel like 23 behind the wheel of my Celica.
Favorite Features
eyehooks in hatch that let you bungee down your cargo so it doesn't bang around as you slam around curves; exterior styling; cockpit design; Seat upholstery that reminds you of basketball shorts; sharp alloy wheels, snarly front end.
Suggested Improvements
Another inch of headroom; hatch that fully closes without slamming; better rear visibility (you have to set sideview mirrors just right); better factory mats (already fraying); better plastic trim inside; fabric or vinyl ceiling instead of fiberboard.