Used 2001 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Celica

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Most Helpful|
Ten Years Old...Going Strong
By foodle

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car three months ago for a commuter to and from work. It had 107,000 at time of purchase and now has 110,000. This car is amazing. It runs great, has plenty of power and everything works. Plus I'm getting 32 mpg! How many American made cars are still on the road after 10 years and look and run as good as this one?

Favorite Features

I love the 180 ponies I get from the GT-S. Lots of power for passing and freeway driving. Moon-roof a great plus, everything within easy reach, ease of driving. Plus, low maintenance that Toyotas are known for.

Suggested Improvements

The car is difficult to see out of (small rear window) for blind-spot. On the freeway there is substantial road noise. However, if the moon-roof is open it's un-noticeable because of the wind. The car is low to the ground which makes it difficult for an old geezer like me to get in and out of.

Love This Car!
By markusknight

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got my 2001 Toyota Celica from my uncle with 180,000 miles on it. It now has 2,000 more miles since, and still runs the same as when I bought it, aside from a slight leak that started in one tire. There's a slight delay in the accelerator, the 'check engine' light is always on, and the left door doesn't lock automatically. Despite this, it starts perfectly in -15 F weather and has not had any engine problems since I got it. I love this car and, with a little TLC, it will continue to be reliable for years to come.

Awesome!
By celiboy

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got this as my first car. Love the styling! Very beautiful car. The styling is great but this car is quite slow. It is not very fast in a straight line at all, but when you get to some corners it really comes alive! This car handles extremely well! For me it makes up in handling for what it lacks in power. Great first car for anyone. Get the manual! Great gas milage. I love this car very much.

Favorite Features

The seats are amazing in this car. Love the weight in the steering. The 2400lb weight.

Suggested Improvements

More power! Better tires! Brakes lack sharpness. Padding on the center armrest.

Celicas Are So Fun To Drive
By Tiffywiffy0503

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have nothing but great things to say about Celicas. I love mine and haven't had any problems with it! So many people tell me how nice my car is. It is the best looking sporty car that gets such good gas mileage! It's got a lot of horse power for a 4 cylinder. I plan to keep my Celica for years to come!

Favorite Features

Dash lights, the pep and the seats.

Suggested Improvements

It could use more head and leg space.

Can't tell a book by its cover
By James Wolf

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this model from the first day I saw it. With Toyota's reputation for reliability I bought it but have ended up deeply disappointed. My last vehicle, a Nissan, went 225,000 miles with no repairs. In 4 months the a/c quit, the new front tires had to be replaced & realigned and the oil leaks in the engine cost $650.00 to correct. You cannot see anything out back with the spoiler & small windows. Getting in and out is always a struggle with the steering wheel jammed in its lowest position and the Toyota dealer says he can't fix it. You cannot read the speedometer either with the steering wheel so low. The car has not been in an accident... it is an accident!

Favorite Features

Exciting design & Good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Leather option would be nice.