Used 2001 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Great starter car
By Tracy

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car. Bought it when I was 19. Affordable, easy to drive and sporty looking. Small car could easily fit in small parking spaces. Great for commuting since it is excellent on gas. Great for me and my dog!

Awesome Car!
By AK

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about my Celica, probably the best car I have ever had by far! Would definitely recommend this car to any person close to me! It is so fun and little.

I love every feature this little car has.

The blind spots... the only defect that this car has.

Great and very reliable car!!
By Lulu

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car new in 2001. I love the 6-speed manual transmission. It's now six years old and I never have any problem with this car nor any major repairs. I am however, diligent about routine maintenance and oil changes, and making sure my car stay fine tuned just like new. Prior to this car, I owned a 1987 white Celica GT-S brought new that served me for for 14 years with 112,000 miles under harsh Midwest weather condition. I love the reliability, performance, affordability and quality of Celica and Toyota in general. It is very sporty in looks and excellent handling. The only thing I hate is the cheap looking dashboard.

It hugs the road at turns and at high speed. It picks up very well after second gear. Great gas mileage. My husband loved driving it - he said it handles as good as his old Porsche.

Improve the first gear ratio. It's very low which is a pain during heavy traffic. Bring it back with better lumbar support, quality dashboard (not the cheap plastic looking one), bluetooth included, leather interior, and better dashboard light, quality interiors-no cheap looking stuff.

Great vehicle
By great

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought the car I've had no problems. The only thing I had to change was the tires and brakes, things you normally do when you buy a used car. Also a clutch but that's something an 80000 mile car would need. Everything else works perfectly.

The wonderfull handling and its close shifting, the way you sit so low making you feel like you're sitting in the ground.

To bring it back with more horse and low end torque power.

Great Car for 7 yrs - a/c not so great
By Monique

2001 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only serious probs I've had with Black Beauty are with the a/c. I live in Phx, so you know it gets hot as hell outside. Once the temps hit about 110, the air stops cooling. Dealership said it was the compressor, so fixed that 8 months ago for just over 1K. Now another summer hits and same problem. They now say it's the evap valve.. another 1K. I've been told it has a really "small system" for the coolant, so doesn't hold much. I'd recommend the car if you don't have kids (very small back seat) and don't live in very hot climates requiring A/C for a good part of the year. Most importantly though, it is very reliable and a fun little ride and it's a beautiful car.

Reliability - never any serious problems and I've had for almost 7 yrs (it has 48,500 miles on it), the look, manufacturer stereo quality great, large trunk space, nice handling, good gas mileage.

Not that it really matters since they stopped making Celicas (boo-hoo!:(), but I'd suggest a larger system for A/C coolant, tad higher front bumper (I have practically ripped mine off on parking curbs), addition of a front grille, better quality paint, lights that match on dash.