Used 2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

love this car
By jamie

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this, car i think that it ts one of the best cars that Toyota has built. It is small so you can fit almost anywhere on the rode, and it is a nice looking affordable car. I think that Toyota idi a great job in building this car.

it is small, fast and comes in manual. It also has aftermarket upgrades that can be done to it which i love

01 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L Auto.
By Christina_Pittsburgh

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

There isn't enough space to say how much I love this car. Bought used with 43000 miles on it, it still felt brand new. After 7 years and pushing 170000 miles, it still has kick in the horsepower dept. and handling is stiff and reliable. If it weren't for my daughter and the lack of space in the back seat I would definitely by an '05. Why would they discontinue this sporty, affordable, and I think beautiful and originally styled car? After 7 years, I'm still in love with it.

More reliable than most cars out there. Fun to drive, great sound system, lasting exterior style. The VVTL-I engine gives it that extra kick at around 6000 RPM and red lines just before 8000. Auto trans with the sport shift gives you the best of both worlds. Holds its value like a Toyota should!

Low end torque is lacking considering how much horsepower it puts out at high RPM. The contrast can leave you frustrated at times. However, that problem is fixable. Small back seat, but not entirely useless. Paint chipping on front bumper due to highway driving.

Can't tell a book by its cover
By James Wolf

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this model from the first day I saw it. With Toyota's reputation for reliability I bought it but have ended up deeply disappointed. My last vehicle, a Nissan, went 225,000 miles with no repairs. In 4 months the a/c quit, the new front tires had to be replaced & realigned and the oil leaks in the engine cost $650.00 to correct. You cannot see anything out back with the spoiler & small windows. Getting in and out is always a struggle with the steering wheel jammed in its lowest position and the Toyota dealer says he can't fix it. You cannot read the speedometer either with the steering wheel so low. The car has not been in an accident... it is an accident!

Exciting design & Good looks.

Leather option would be nice.

Fun Little Commuter Car
By Robert

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used to commute 40 miles a day. I loved the sporty looks on the exterior and the inside is a little cramped but good for one or two passengers. It is lousy as far as backseat space is concerned but it wasn't built to be a family car. The cockpit is nicely laid out. I had to have the transmission worked on after about 100k miles but I would write that off to normal wear and tear. Overall I'd give it high marks and it is a lot of fun to drive.

The manual transmission is easy to drive and the engine has a lot of pep for the size. Great gas mileage at an average of 34 MPG. The sporty looks were a major selling point for me combined with the great gas mileage.

The hatchback cover is a little loose and rattles a lot. Some squeaks and noise from the suspension and frame. A lot of road noise and pretty loud interior at highway speeds.

love this car
By Pam

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I first tried this car brand-new. Hated the headlights back then, so I bought a Honda Civic. Big mistake. Bought this car used a few years ago. I love it. Drives well, perfect for me. Looks awesome. No problems whatsoever with it. I even bought extra warranty, now I know that was a waste of money. Just take care of it, change the oil, change the tires, and it will take care of you. I am soooo sad I will have to sell it, but I just had a baby and getting a car seat in/out is a bear.

how it looks...and yes, headlights and all; LOVE how it drives

blind spots are horrible (my teen sister doesn't get to drive it for this reason); backseat is not made for passengers, definitely NOT car seats!