2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
Awesome Car!
By AK on 10/01/07 02:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about my Celica, probably the best car I have ever had by far! Would definitely recommend this car to any person close to me! It is so fun and little.

Great and very reliable car!!
By Lulu on 09/05/07 00:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car new in 2001. I love the 6-speed manual transmission. It's now six years old and I never have any problem with this car nor any major repairs. I am however, diligent about routine maintenance and oil changes, and making sure my car stay fine tuned just like new. Prior to this car, I owned a 1987 white Celica GT-S brought new that served me for for 14 years with 112,000 miles under harsh Midwest weather condition. I love the reliability, performance, affordability and quality of Celica and Toyota in general. It is very sporty in looks and excellent handling. The only thing I hate is the cheap looking dashboard.

Great vehicle
By great on 07/12/07 18:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought the car I've had no problems. The only thing I had to change was the tires and brakes, things you normally do when you buy a used car. Also a clutch but that's something an 80000 mile car would need. Everything else works perfectly.

Great Car for 7 yrs - a/c not so great
By Monique on 07/07/07 22:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only serious probs I've had with Black Beauty are with the a/c. I live in Phx, so you know it gets hot as hell outside. Once the temps hit about 110, the air stops cooling. Dealership said it was the compressor, so fixed that 8 months ago for just over 1K. Now another summer hits and same problem. They now say it's the evap valve.. another 1K. I've been told it has a really "small system" for the coolant, so doesn't hold much. I'd recommend the car if you don't have kids (very small back seat) and don't live in very hot climates requiring A/C for a good part of the year. Most importantly though, it is very reliable and a fun little ride and it's a beautiful car.

The TOY in Toyota
By Brent on 06/18/07 22:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have only good things to say about this car. I just traded it in for a Matrix and I miss my Celica like crazy. The Celica is the perfect car if you want to get somewhere, use little gas and look great doing it. I purchased it as a certified pre-owned and it never let me down once. No major services, just routine service. The handling is amazing and for only being a 4 banger the car has some pep. Friends loved it and I loved it. I hope to go back and buy another 2001 Celica GT in a few years when I can afford to keep two cars. Only down side is for someone tall you need to push the seat back leaving no backseat. My only reason for the trade is that I needed that space for work and more people.

2001 Toyota Celica GT-S
By matt on 06/17/07 12:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Since I have had this car it has been nothing but problems. It has been in the shop for about half the time that I owned it but with the time that it has been out of the shop it has been great. This car has out performed all the cars that I have had in the past with great gas economy.

Oh what a feeling! (NOT)
By California07 on 01/15/07 18:42 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an '01 GT as a Toyota Certified Vehicle. Three weeks out, found that it burns oil at about 1600 mile to a quart - complained to Toyota and went to arbitration, but they won't warranty until it's burning a quart every 1200. Last month the catalytic converter died (warrantied by Toyota) and last week the manual transmission died at 82K miles - just had it repaired for $3500, since Toyota would not cover it, though it was a Certified Vehicle and used carefully. Think twice about buying a Toyota Certified Vehicle - worst car I've EVER owned, and I've bought 8 Toyotas since a 1971 Crown, and several that I drove 200+K miles.

Generally a nice car
By driver on 12/02/06 08:09 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

All around this is a fun car to own. Sometimes it's hard to find the right gear when shifting and there is not enough inside lighting on the control panels on the dashboard. There is no lighting in the trunk and it is impossible to find things at night. This is definitely a safety hazard (personally). At night with a flat I had a frightening experience .

Best Car for College
By J in Hawaii on 10/05/06 14:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car for a college student. Sure you wont be able to fit 5 people in there, but thats about the only downside. 4 is no problem. 30mpg combined, cheap regular gas, looks good, and the most reliable car I've owned. Good handling, good steering. Headlights are bright. Good hatch space, was able to fit a 32" TV (tube, not flat panel) in there. Try that in your coupe or sedan!

Love my Celica!
By Beth on 08/01/06 12:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since I bought my GT in 2001, it has never needed anything more than oil changes and tire rotations. It's sporty, but the hatchback makes it very practical, especially when you fold down the back seats for a large item. This is a great car and it's a lot of fun to drive.